• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GLM v.s. Sonarworks v.s. Audiolense

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had some time today and measured in a normal, untreated room (4m x 3m) 1 speaker with REW.
I wanted to compare no correction, GLM the proprietary solution of Genelec, Sonarworks and Audiolense.
I went fast so errors are likely, I will take your feedback and adapt.

Microphone is a umic, interface in a RME UFX+, computer is a Mac, cables are either amazon basic or contric xlr,
speakers are Genelec 8341+7370, I have Focal Shape 40 in the same room so can compare easily if you want
(they are on the ceiling so different freq response).

I choose a flat target to make comparison easy.

First room v.s. GlM. Due to the small rectangular room, 2 large cancellations at 45hz and 100hz. GLM tame the peaks
but does not try to compensate for dips.

room-vs-genelec.jpg

Let's compare GLM and Sonar:
glm vs sonar.jpg

Frequency wise, almost the same thing. My take on this is that: if you only need 2 fronts speakers and a sub and don't
move your speakers often then the old Genelec are a better deal than the new one :)

Sonar has 3 filters: 0 latency (IIR is suppose), mixed and linear, frequency wise then are very similar.
sonar 3 filters.jpg

Let's look at the step response: first without GLM and with:

step room vs genelec.jpg

Let's look at GLM v.s. Sonar (0 latency) step response:

Step GLM v.s. Sonar 0 latency.jpg

hmm same thing, same frequency response and same step response, same algorithm?

It there a difference between sonar 3 algorithms?

Step Sonar 3 algos.jpg

yes some but not incredible.

First conclusion: not that much differences between them.

Last edited:
OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
reserved for audiolense stuff, currently fighting with windows, I hate this bloody os, nothing change still issue with interruptions ...

Xyrium

Forum Donor
reserved for audiolense stuff, currently fighting with windows, I hate this bloody os, nothing change still issue with interruptions ...

This is an oldie, but fantastic stuff! Were you able to get Audiolense sorted? I usually refer to Mitch on Audiolense, but I truly appreciate the time you put into comparing Sonarworks and GLM.

I would love to see a shootout of other comparable options, like Dirac and Arc. Anyone try both?

Top Bottom