• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GLM 4?

Thomas Lund

Technical Expert
Industry Insider
Thanks for chiming in. May I ask a bit more in depth: can GLM (or will it be able to, for GLM 4) be used without being connected once to the Internet?

There are no plans for requirement changes relative to GLM 3.

Unlike some of the richest companies on planet Earth, milking users repeatedly, it is not Genelec's goal to actively obsolete hardware or software every 5 years. On the contrary, we try to make long-lasting and repairable stuff. With GLM 4, hardware older than 10 years will get new functionality for free; and thousands of more than 25 year-old G monitors are still in use, for good reason.

OP
mkt

mkt

Watching this now
https://www.genelec.com/yoursonicreference
1603225202278.png

1603225306950.png

Attachments

• 1603225276979.png
    1603225276979.png
    178.8 KB · Views: 89

Sprint

Forum Donor
Once bitten, twice shy :) But, rest assured. GLM 4 will eventually have local calibration and functionality, including of course gain control ("volume").

It is currently in a beta phase where centralised calibration is an advantage, considering cross-platform consistency and diagnosing of potential errors. However, you may actually calibrate on the Genelec cloud server without being logged-in, should privacy be of concern.

The release version of GLM 4 will have both local and cloud cal options. No subscription or extra payment will be required, even for keeping GLM compliant with changing Windows and Mac operating systems.

A Quick question: I run GLM3 for my 8340 LCR and 8330 surrounds. I always felt sonic wise, single point measurements were better than 3 point measurements at different points on my couch. My room is not much treated. I still have good furniture and curtains but no bass absorbers. With GLM 4, should I still try multipoint measurements or go back to single point.

Thomas Lund

Technical Expert
Industry Insider
With GLM 4, should I still try multipoint measurements or go back to single point.

Single point measurements are most relevant in acoustically treated production rooms with a defined listening position, see e.g. "Stability of the Frequency Response Estimate in Listening Rooms" from Tonmeistertagung (2016). In that respect, at its release, GLM 4 will be no different from GLM 3, though later improvements are likely.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello,

i tested extensively the current beta version which is working a lot better than the previous beta:
- it works in Mac even recent one: OS version Catalina and Big Sur, M1 chips are also working.
- W371 is supported
- I tested 7.2.6 configuration, various 5.1 and 2.1 configurations

not working:
- bass phase calibration
- random crashes

i am opening tickets with Genelec.

OP
mkt

mkt

https://www.genelec.com/-/news/gene...res-and-unrivalled-user-experience-with-glm-4

Direct link to download page: https://www.genelec.com/glm-software-download-page

"These versions of GLM include the Cloud version of the AutoCal calibration feature. This draws on decades of user experience, providing instant access to the latest updates and our expert helpdesk, via the secure GLM Cloud service.

If instead you only wish to run AutoCal locally on your computer, then the relevant files can be downloaded below. Please use these in conjunction with GLM"

Last edited:

hege

Forum Donor
Nice to see that the cloud only installer is tiny now.

I can't understand the utter laziness of using and bundling a complete Matlab runtime that takes 1GB of disk, simply to calculate some EQ parameters. Software like REW eats like 20MB and can do all the same calculations and more.

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hello,

i tested extensively the current beta version which is working a lot better than the previous beta:
- it works in Mac even recent one: OS version Catalina and Big Sur, M1 chips are also working.
- W371 is supported
- I tested 7.2.6 configuration, various 5.1 and 2.1 configurations

not working:
- bass phase calibration
- random crashes

i am opening tickets with Genelec.
Please download and install the release version of GLM 4. A lot of improvements and bug fixes have been done since the beta versions.

https://www.genelec.com/glm-software-download-page

pierre

Forum Donor
Last edited:

onion

What is the best way to manage multiple subwoofers in a stereo setup? I have 3 subs with a pair of 8341s. At the moment, I am phase-aligning one sub to each main, at setting the phase setting for the 3rd sub 180 degrees out of phase to the speaker it was phase-aligned with.

In terms of crossover and frequency response, the arrangement works really well. Where I'm still figuring things out is in terms of adjusting the levels for the subs. It seems that GLM matches the level of each sub relative to one of the subs (whose level is therefore 0). However, when playing back music, there is too much bass in a 3 sub setup compared to a 2 sub setup.

What is the best way of reducing the level of bass across the three subs whilst maintaining their relative levels to each other, freq response and phase settings?

pierre

Forum Donor
What is the best way to manage multiple subwoofers in a stereo setup? I have 3 subs with a pair of 8341s. At the moment, I am phase-aligning one sub to each main, at setting the phase setting for the 3rd sub 180 degrees out of phase to the speaker it was phase-aligned with.

In terms of crossover and frequency response, the arrangement works really well. Where I'm still figuring things out is in terms of adjusting the levels for the subs. It seems that GLM matches the level of each sub relative to one of the subs (whose level is therefore 0). However, when playing back music, there is too much bass in a 3 sub setup compared to a 2 sub setup.

What is the best way of reducing the level of bass across the three subs whilst maintaining their relative levels to each other, freq response and phase settings?

I would manually decrease the volume of each subs in GLM and check with REW if they all sum up correctly.
Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 13.53.21.png

OP
mkt

mkt

onion

Thanks - -9dB correction is where I ended up using my ears - listening for excess bass on songs I know, and judging whether or not the bass was balanced between the lt and rt side or not.

Sounds terrific btw :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Thanks - -9dB correction is where I ended up using my ears - listening for excess bass on songs I know, and judging whether or not the bass was balanced between the lt and rt side or not.

Sounds terrific btw :)
What's the maximum listening distance that is OK with 8341A?

onion

I'm listening at around 3m. With just the 8341s, the limiter would kick in occasionally. With the subs, almost never.

Although the third sub adds more headroom, it's not a real benefit as there was more than enough headroom with two subs. The main advantage is delivering even bass.

onion

Is there a setting to invert polarity in GLM for subs?

onion

There is, but it’s not quite the same as inverting polarity due to time domain differences

Last edited:
Top Bottom