• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GLM 4?

mkt

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From a quick look, they are catching up on features with glm3. It will work on Catalina. It crashed on me so looking at the stacktrace it is using Juce.

OP
mkt

mkt

Short shameful confession. I have a windows 10 install just for GLM.
I did not see much new. The interface is more attractive, to my taste.

D

Deleted member 16502

Fast cloud-based acoustic calibration (local calculations not supported)

Has this been the case for GLM3 and before too?

pierre

Forum Donor
In glm3 I have the choice between cloud based calibration or Local. Cloud base is faster. I didn’t look to closely at what they do with the data.

D

Deleted member 16502

I can understand the wish to protect their intellectual property but at the cost of transforming GLM into a service, I don't like it. I would never buy Dirac for the same reason. I'm not paying premium for something that may be revoked. I don't support the idea of buying a "usage license" instead of buying something I own.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I can understand the wish to protect their intellectual property but at the cost of transforming GLM into a service, I don't like it. I would never buy Dirac for the same reason. I'm not paying premium for something that may be revoked. I don't support the idea of buying a "usage license" instead of buying something I own.
Well, proprietary software is licensed anyway, you don't own it. It's a bit like buying a chair you don't have the right to repaint. But the idea that they have the power to just pull the plug on you is even worse; and if I have to have a spare computer running NSA/Windows just for stuff like GLM, I certainly don't want to connect it to the local nor global network.
We'll see if it's a beta thing, because it'd seem strange to me to list it in the "features".

D

Deleted member 16502

Well, proprietary software is licensed anyway, you don't own it.

I know, and I don't support that idea either, but that is a different topic. Maybe I should advance buying GLM before they deprecate GLM3 and make the kit and speaker firmware incompatible. This was actually one of my concerns when deciding between SAM and non-SAM Genelecs not long ago. Pity it may come back to bite me so fast.

OP
mkt

mkt

I know, and I don't support that idea either, but that is a different topic. Maybe I should advance buying GLM before they deprecate GLM3 and make the kit and speaker firmware incompatible. This was actually one of my concerns when deciding between SAM and non-SAM Genelecs not long ago. Pity it may come back to bite me so fast.
Download GLM3 now if you’re worried. No cost, no registration.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
That would work, but paying Genelec money to become a second class citizen stuck with outdated software is a bit too much for me. Well, I say that, but the 8351B is my far future target, for now; even if I have to use DRC-FIR instead of GLM.

randy777

Thanks for the heads up. I just got a notice today that my Genelec speakers shipped but they didn't include the GLM 3 kit (dealer said it would ship 2 to 3 weeks later). Wondering if I should wait for an updated GLM 4 kit now. Not a fan of cloud only though as I got locked out from using my Adobe software several times after they went cloud only due to networking issues.

OP
mkt

mkt

There is no new GLM kit (black box + mic + ethernet wires). As far as I know there has only been this model. New versions of the GLM software have been released, and GLM 4 is in beta now. Note that GLM is not part of the audio chain. You can use GLM to calibrate your SAM speakers, save the settings to the speakers, unplug it, and never use GLM again. Or you and your SAM-owning buddies can share a GLM kit amongst your selves.

I hope that I'm not confusing matters or misunderstanding your concerns.

EDIT. See correction below. GLM hardware *has* been revised.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16502

Maybe they let you adjust the filters manually at least without the cloud. I think it's bad enough you can't do that without the GLM right now.

randy777

There is no new GLM kit (black box + mic + ethernet wires). As far as I know there has only been this model. New versions of the GLM software have been released, and GLM 4 is in beta now. Note that GLM is not part of the audio chain. You can use GLM to calibrate your SAM speakers, save the settings to the speakers, unplug it, and never use GLM again. Or you and your SAM-owning buddies can share a GLM kit amongst your selves.

I hope that I'm not confusing matters or misunderstanding your concerns.

That's good news. Not at all. I was planning to use their software for volume control from my PC which seems like it may require GLM to work but long term I will get some kind of interface/streamer that has volume control and a remote.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Since the settings are saved to the speakers themselves that should ensure the safety / function of those speakers in their current setup, no? For instance, I saved the settings to my new 8320s and disconnected the GLM unit. Plus, as another person said, could you not just download v3 and pass on v4?

In any event, it's hard to see them pulling some BS like Sonos is doing.

hege

Forum Donor
There is no new GLM kit (black box + mic + ethernet wires). As far as I know there has only been this model.

GLM 2 did get a completely new box (and mic), which added support for wired/wireless volume controllers etc.

Reactions: mkt

Thomas Lund

Technical Expert
Industry Insider

Once bitten, twice shy :) But, rest assured. GLM 4 will eventually have local calibration and functionality, including of course gain control ("volume").

It is currently in a beta phase where centralised calibration is an advantage, considering cross-platform consistency and diagnosing of potential errors. However, you may actually calibrate on the Genelec cloud server without being logged-in, should privacy be of concern.

The release version of GLM 4 will have both local and cloud cal options. No subscription or extra payment will be required, even for keeping GLM compliant with changing Windows and Mac operating systems.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Once bitten, twice shy :) But, rest assured. GLM 4 will eventually have local calibration and functionality, including of course gain control ("volume").

It is currently in a beta phase where centralised calibration is an advantage, considering cross-platform consistency and diagnosing of potential errors. However, you may actually calibrate on the Genelec cloud server without being logged-in, should privacy be of concern.

The release version of GLM 4 will have both local and cloud cal options. No subscription or extra payment will be required, even for keeping GLM compliant with changing Windows and Mac operating systems.
Thanks for chiming in. May I ask a bit more in depth: can GLM (or will it be able to, for GLM 4) be used without being connected once to the Internet?

Top Bottom