• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Giving manufactures the benefit of the doubt

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RME also has EQ . This can surely be to your advantage with historical recordings . Don't assume that recordings are perfectly balanced they did what they could with the limitations they had to deal with . You cant fix everything but if the spectral balance is way of to bright or to dull you sure can do something .
This is also historical bagage from high end hifi , no tone controls ? with modern digital equipment there is no penalty having them if you don't use RME's PEQ function its simply not there no loss and if in use the EQ is "perfect" in that it does it's job but no more.

nerdstrike

An overlooked point here is that good company behaviour is encouraged only by law and profit, and the law part only applies when there are suits to highlight breaches.

Government-endorsed regulators can facilitate cheaper/easier enforcement, but they can still only act on well-substantiated complaints. As long as there are 99% placebo satisfied customers, it's difficult to get a company to behave. More often than not these things lead to settlements with the complainer, such as an unconditional refund. A true court case is going to cost more than 10 bottles of finest snake oil, so we don't see much of it going round on non-safety issues.

The UK advertising agency has got us to the point where cosmetic products have hilarious small print like "68% of 40 participants agreed that they looked better with product". Perhaps we can look forward to "99% of audiophiles agree this nanotube wrapped cable improved their listening experience"?

Don't get me started on how much survey outcomes vary depending on the way questions are asked. Snake oil purveyors are surprisingly resilient to regulation!

krott5333

I think you have a very good perspective and are right. In a way it is funny. My multiple recall notices on the Volvo V60 seatbelt flaw is much more significant.

I've been ignoring the recalls on my v60. I think I have one for a door handle. I just hate going to dealerships.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Audio is entertainment, style and flash and I don't see any regulations about how much a purse should cost, a limit on charges for a paint job on a car and that sort of thing.
You want to spend big money for something fancy, exclusive, etc. that's fine as long as nobody claims it does something it doesn't do. Charge someone 100 times more money for painting their car, no problem; but claim the paint makes the car go 50% faster? How long until the regulators would put a stop to it?

Top Bottom