• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gigabit Ethernet/Fiber Media Converter - LOW noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRDK

I need your help :)

Looking for a Gigabit Ethernet/Fiber Media Converter with LOW noise.

Right now I have:

Mini Unmanaged 1x 10/100/1000Base-T RJ45 to 1x 1000Base-X SFP Slot Gigabit Ethernet Media Converter

Do to the location of the FMC it would be very nice to have a low noise FMC.

If that it not possible would, could low noise be secured with an ""high-end"" switch mode power supply or linear power supply?

Thanks for any help.

Torben

OP
TRDK

TRDK

Does your current media convertor cause an issue? Why are you concerned about noise?

No it works fine (using single mode). But a bit concerned about it's location to other audio products?
Any suggestion - see above?

Torben

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Couple of year ago the conversion of ethernet to optical (and of course back to electrical as your streamer don’t accept optical) was the tweak of the month.
This was all about noise reduction.
This was a bit weird claim because:
-Do you transport noise over your network?
-Does the (electrical) port of a converter doesn’t produce noise?
Of course even more dramatic improvements can be obtained by driving the converter with a linear power supply.

Please note that this type of claims are typical for audiophile forums.
Please note the evidence for all this dramatic improvements is a matter of listening with the eyes, it has never been proven with a proper unsighted test.
Also note that noise is something one can measure. Ever seen any measurement showing improvements by using the optical converter or a linear PSU to drive a switch or using a audiophile switch?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
No it works fine (using single mode).
If there is no problem how can you make an "improvement"? Of course you can "enhance" the sound with EQ or reverb or some other effect.)

Noise is (usually) an analog problem. Digital is mostly immune to noise. Digital noise would create errors and that would cause data corruption. Usually, corrupted audio is pretty bad and obvious. ...If there is one flipped bit in your bank account and billion dollar error is just as likely as a 1 cent error and it's the same with audio. It's different from analog where it's common to have low-level background noise, and sometimes low levels of distortion and small frequency response variations.)

If there are glitches/dropouts/dropouts in the data stream, that can cause clicks & pops. But usually the data is buffered so the data can flow out of the buffer smoothly and continuously. And Ethernet (and the entire Internet protocol) has very robust error correction. This forum goes all over the world through all kinds of connections and if you see a typo you can be sure it's a human typing error and not data corruption.

Also, sometimes a ground loop through the digital connections can create hum in the analog circuitry. That's where an optical connection (with no common electrical ground) can sometimes help.

OP
TRDK

TRDK

@DVDdoug - Thanks for your comments. Your arguments are very valid. And you will probably not believe this - but that is OK :)

I have gone from ethernet to multimode to single mode (last mile). Now I have single mode - and I am happy with that (see below).

So any suggestion to my Q?

Thanks
Torben

OI 16112022SMF.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What's wrong with your previous topic?

If you would have actually heeded the advice, you would not have had this question in the first place.

For irrational fears, see a shrink...

OP
TRDK

TRDK

For irrational fears, see a Looking for a Gigabit Ethernet/Fiber Media Converter with LOW noise...

On a small question - "Looking for a Gigabit Ethernet/Fiber Media Converter with LOW noise" - been told, that I need to see a shrink, comes as a surprise.

But I will give it a thought.

Torben

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
been told, that I need to see a shrink, comes as a surprise.

It's a comment that comes from frustration. The two authorities you mention in the other thread, The Absolute Sound and PS Audio, are notorious for enticing rampant disregard of the effects cognitive bias has on all humans.

Any technician or electrical engineer, who works with these things and has actual knowledge about it, will tell you the same thing: "Don't worry about it".

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Bill of Materials for a data centre network sitting in front of me. The BoM includes over 1,000 Cisco SFPs (a mixture of 1G, 10G, 25G, 100G and 400G). Transactions worth $millions (perhaps $billions) will pass through them over their lifetime and I am not worried about how noisy they, or the Nexus 9Ks they'll be plugged into, are. On the other hand, I wouldn't suggest attempting any critical listening where they are installed. The DC has a rather high noise floor :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On a small question - "Looking for a Gigabit Ethernet/Fiber Media Converter with LOW noise" - been told, that I need to see a shrink, comes as a surprise.
The length of the question has no correlation to the potential need for a shrink ;)

See it this way:

“The internet told me to jump off this super high bridge. They tell me I’ll end up in Walhalla! Now I’m inclined to actually do it, because what if it’s true?”

It’s the audiophile equivalent of Pascal’s wager :facepalm:

OP
TRDK

TRDK

So "Don't worry about it" :)

But what about SFP's impact on SQ?:

and

Thanks

Torben

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
SQ from ethernet gear is something you need to worry even less about.

Reactions: Mat

Morla

Forum Donor
What's wrong with your previous topic?

If you would have actually heeded the advice, you would not have had this question in the first place.

For irrational fears, see a shrink...
OP tried again placing those links to audio fairy tales on the forum even through many answered in that other thread. I'm even more convinced it's a troll attempt.

Upcomig topic: jitter introduced by choosing the wrong color on the fiber.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So any suggestion to my Q?

Either take the advice given to stop worrying, learn enough about it so you can answer the question yourself, or ask on a forum where you'll get answers that reinforce your need to waste money.

I think we can close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom