• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

JSmith

Master Contributor
If you're a fan of the original, this is pretty good. Continues from the original story line, some good nostalgia in there, recommended;

Z2BDBDDqo2QatS7L6xWmK5.jpg

GBAL_Launch_A4poster.jpg

JSmith

Bleib

Major Contributor
Found it to be very uninspired. Memoribilia is more important than the story.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
This sign is strange in the linked trailer.

I'm assuming the missing letters would be "T" and "E", but why the gap between the K and the S?
1641444359024.png

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I enjoyed this one and found it hugely enjoyable and a great follow on from the first movies (which I love). It may not be great cinema but it is great entertainment and I think in these times we need something that just let's us sit back, laugh and be happy.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Ah, that'll be it. We never shorten milkshakes to 'shakes' here in Australia.
Be glad you don't live here (northern New England) or you'd have to call 'em frappes. (the e is not pronounced) ;)
You can get a milk shake in New England -- but it's not what you're expecting if you want a milkshake.

It is just as S. L. Clemens said (of the US and the UK): Two countries divided by a common language.

Methinks it's SHAKES instead of STEAKS.
or SNAKES -- remember we're brainstorming here, there are no wrong answers. ;)

SaltyCDogg

There was a lot of lingering shots in that sign in the film, there was either some significance or it cost a lot and they needed their money's worth

Darc

The assumption that if I was a fan of the original I will like this one is wrong. Yes, the casting was fine (except for that Stranger Things kid) and there were a lot of references to the original.
However, exactly half of the movie can be rewound and no vital story is lost.
You can also rewind every now and then because it's just boring

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Now that was a Ghostbusters sequel... moofie, Ivan Reitman, man is genius.
This was a great tribute to Harold Ramis too
... so for nostalgia sake a good 9/10 from me.

JSmith

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Ivan Reitman has passed away;

JSmith

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor

ta240

Major Contributor
Found it to be very uninspired. Memoribilia is more important than the story.
There were a few fun moments but overall, to me, most of the movie lacked the energy of the first one.

Where were the funny small encounters with ghosts around the town leading up to the big event? The encounters that there were seemed to be just mostly ignored by the people that they happened to. Sure, no kid would freak out at chess pieces moving on their own or what happened at the mine. I guess the tiny staypuff men were supposed to take place of people running into ghosts here and there; and those didn't make sense for anything more than a "remember in the first one!?!" moment.

Paul Rudd's performance just reminded me that there was fun missing from the rest of it.

it might be my bad mamory, but wasn't the original much less children's film?
It was cast much more as a teen adventure this time and while the first one wasn't raunchy it did have more fun sort of adult humor with Murray.

It is hard getting past there being a generation that doesn't even know about the events of 1984. Plenty of big things happened 20 years before I was born that I knew about at that age and I didn't have all the information in the world in my pocket.

Soundmixer

I guess I am the minority here, but I really enjoyed this movie. One thing for sure, the soundtrack was to live for!

Reverend Slim

I guess I am the minority here, but I really enjoyed this movie. One thing for sure, the soundtrack was to live for!
You're not alone though. I loved it and have watched the UHD 5 times (with different guests) since it came out. The Atmos track is outstanding!

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I thought it was good. Definitely worth seeing. But there are some things I would have changed:

Paul Rudd was basically just a Rick Moranis standin. The guy who was gonna become the Keymaster and hook up with whoever the woman Gatekeeper was. I would have either not written him in, or given him MUCH more to do. Like he was a Seismologist. Maybe he has a physics or electronics degree too, and he helps the kids fix up all the old Ghostbusters tech.

The stupid mini Stay Puft Marshmellow Men needed to go. PERIOD.

I didn't really need the BIG THREE to show up in a cameo at the end. I'm a little tired of Murray's silly sarcastic jokes. This film was a little more serious than that. Definitely keep the Annie Potts cameo in the beginning, and do the phone call from the girl to Akroyd. It never occurred to me that he might have kept the original Ghostbusters phone number for his Occult shop. I thought that was really clever. Then you could do the cameo with Winston Zeddemore at the end, how he's a rich guy now and how he's been helping everyone out over the years. Maybe find a way to work Bill Murray in that isn't so jarring.

The Sigourney cameo wasn't even in the film. It was in the end credits. Maybe write a proper cameo scene for her and actually put it in the film.

But I loved the kids. They were great. So much fun. I loved how they hinted at Harold's spirit with the lamp in his workshop. Those scenes actually got me emotional. But we didn't need to see his ghost.

I remember where I was, and who I was with when I went to see the original, like it was yesterday.

Top Bottom