• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GGNTKT @ Purité Audio

roland{at}GGNTKT

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Just to be clear here, you are referring to a version of the NCores which have the SMPS integrated and on the same board as the amps, not a DIY version of the NC400 and separate SMPS1200A400 or the SMPS600N400, both of which document as producing amps with THD+N of .0005% or less (Sinad 105db).

And the paper you refer to lists the THD+N performance of the Pascal Modules as .05% at 10khz, .03% at 2.5 Khz, and .01% at 1kz which translates respectively into Sinads of 66db, 70db, and 80db. That performance seems to be in the same league as the Roland 535.

Right, you have to compare apples-to-apples. Measuring mono designs without/external SMPS yield to much lower noise. But that's nothing you will ever find in active speakers because of the packaging. Active speakers demand more channels and an integrated SMPS, also for the DSP.

You can look up the numbers at Hypex, so you have to compare NCxxxMP / NCASxxxxMP (p.26-36) to Pascal. You will find that the gap closes up:
https://www.hypex.nl/theme/Hypex2018/files/Hypex-Brochure-2020-web.pdf

This is not to say that the amplification isn't good enough and perfectly transparent, but I still believe it is a fair question to be asked.

Hearing threshold of THD are close to 0.1% @1kHz (most sensitive area) depending on level and Nth-order components. That's why it's common practice to give power numbers @0.1% THD for high quality audio. Of course you can and should go beyond, that's what Hypex and Pascal did.

You can go and hear it by yourself how sensitive you are to THD: http://www.klippel.de/listeningtest/?v=3 (also @amirm talked about THD hearing thresholds)

Again, we couldn't find any audible differences between Hypex and Pascal within our implementation.

Last edited:

kaka89

Thanks for sharing the links. For whom might interested, here are the spec at 4ohm

U-PRO2S (140W@1% THD+N)
Microsoft_Word_-_U-PRO2S_Data_Sheet-1_1.jpg

NC122MP (125W@1% THD+N)
https://www.hypex.nl/img/upload/doc/ncore_mp/nc122mp/Documentation/NC122MP_02xx.pdf
NC122MP_02xx_Datasheet.jpg

q3cpma

Major Contributor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Delivery of the first pairs of M1 expected in around two/three weeks, with the M2 ( larger brother and Kii/BXT rival ) perhaps on;y six weeks away.
Measurements look stunning almost full-range ,cardioid response built in EQ, built in everything for around £5500 inc vat.
https://ggntkt.de/en/

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well slightly longer than two to three weeks!
But the first pairs are being collected tomorrow and really should be here next week.
Gegantakt’s M1 is essentially a ‘baby’ D&D8C/Kii 3, slightly less bass extension only to 30hz but half the price.
Constant directivity, cardioid response, full-range ( almost) external dsp and amplification with built in EQ.
Measurements are superb.
I have very high hopes for this speaker system.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Arrive this week!
From the front,

Keith

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Come on, give this little fu**ers a hard time(hells bells). Than report. ;)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am quite excited and sadly I am seldom excited by audio components.
rear view,

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Never mind the length look at the girth, for you cable fanciers I know you are out there.

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Rear view, i know you all know what these look like, they are much heavier than I expected, press-ups tonight!

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They live!

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Haven’t had a chance to compare quite yet, but even just plonked down they are super.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Listening to Greg Porter at the moment, sounds really lovely, all the 8Cs and my Kiis are out but as soon as they return I will compare.
Considering these will be half the price, they are a serious loudspeaker they sound really big.
Keith

Top Bottom