• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GGNTKT Model M1

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please keep in mind that afaik the famous blind comparison test was (imho unfortunately) done also in mono, I personally know quite many people that prefer narrower directivity = more direct sound, I think it has also to do with the listening experience, the huge but more vague "sound cloud" of wider directivity tends to impress more less experienced listeners.
Also an extremely small sample, and never repeated with any other speaker sets. Just too little there to be probative let alone definitive.

roland{at}GGNTKT

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I can share some pictures taken from the review
STEREO_großerHoerraum.jpg

GGNTKT_M1_m_Staendern.jpg

GGNTKT_M1_aufm.jpg

GGNTKT_Elektronik_det.jpg

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What are these old fashioned speakers behind it?

I know, dynaudio confidence 40, but who cares about passive 80’s technology?

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@roland{at}GGNTKT Any information on the M2? Is it intended to be "full range" in some sense? Maybe I missed some of the "basic" info that is already out there somewhere. I see that it should be out later this year so I imagine that its shape and size and design goals should be known at this point.

EDIT: I see that you answered this earlier today in another thread (#33). Looking forward to it.

kma100

Forum Donor

roland{at}GGNTKT

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Interesting speakers, though the stands look very flimsy (maybe it is just the way they were photographed).

Well, the stand is very filigree by design. But there is 8x 12mm (0.5") solid steel tubes that give stability.

The reviewer mentioned immersive/spacious sound. Is this something to do with the tweeter-waveguide setup? Or something done as part of the audio processing?

Yes, it's all about directivity. Horizontal dispersion is 140° which is wider compared to the apx. 90° of conventional designs. People tend to like the spaciousness of first side reflexions and this is what the wide dispersion does – it throws more energy to the sidewalls. The effect depends on content played and room acoustics of course.

Ro808

Congrats on the excellent review in Stereo.
The M2 is a serious competitor to monitor loudspeakers from D&D, Genelec, Grimm, Kii, Neumann etc.
As a bonus, the M2 is capable of higher SPLs than the competition and attractively priced.

Similar to the Master Reference Monitor that bears the same name, the wide dispersion in the horizontal plane is the result of the 'knuckles at the throat of the waveguide. These were first introduced in the PT waveguides as an elegant, less intrusive evolution of the traditional pinched throat + diffraction slot.

Diffraction Horn (throat):

JBL 2447J + 2381.jpg

Progressive Transition Waveguides:

JBL PT Family.png

Image Control Waveguides:

Image Control WGs.jpg

Even though the throat looks quite rough (the leftover particles from the mold should definitely be removed), the JBL 2381, shown in the first image, isn't a bad horn. This is illustrated by the comparison between several horns in the attached paper. While directivity lacks behind in the vertical plane, the horizontal is fine. Moreover, the 2381 loads the driver better.

With regard to directivity and more specifically wide dispersion, an additional comment.
The spaciousness of first side reflections resulting from (very) wide dispersion might be appealing to many, one should be aware of the caveats.
If the speakers are placed close to highly reflective side walls, the off-axis energy can easily cause listening fatigue/annoyance.
It's therefore highly recommended to consider placement and room treatment.

Attachments

• tn_v1n31_PT Waveguides.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 171

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

JeanKazamer

May i ask what are the downsides of using compression drivers instead of regular tweeters ??
( well except for obvious additional wave guide manufacturing ... )

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost always, execution matters more than the underlying technology. This is 10 times over in audio, where people swap parts and get the same results because the overall design matters far more than individual bits.

JeanKazamer

Then what are the major caveats for compression drivers ?

IIRC ( 15+ years ago ) the good ones were outrageously expensive
and all the other ones were riddled with distortion at good listening levels
specially from some specific frequency ( was it beak up of membrane or resonnance of the air paths ..i can't recall )

Scgorg

Compression drivers, as a side effect of their design, will often have a wigglier frequency response overall (many small resonances), and can have issues with high frequency extension because a good compression ratio with such small wavelengths is hard to maintain (and for large-format compression drivers they will often have major resonances in the top octave). Some of these issues can be solved/improved with the help of DSP (and good driver design).

For benefits; the power handling and max SPL of a compression drivers vastly outclasses any direct radiating dome. The distortion spectrum of most compression drivers is also very benign, consisting almost purely of 2nd order distortion, which is most easily masked.

CINERAMAX

Dealer
I did a Meyers home theater calibrated by the founder in 1990, then after spending 3 days in the conference room with dr. Floyd in 1992 getting trained on the 2nd synthesis one and on the phone with him performing the MLSSA, then Later with Genelec and finally with Pro Audio Technology, for the first 2 weeks of listening everything sounded great but at the 2 week mark sitting in tho9se theaters fine tuning other aspects, there is a grinding harshness that fatigued me, that is why I moved on first to Quested AMT's but they had poor dispersion so0 when I found the Alcons CRMS line, I could play at 115 but sometimes 125 db for extended periods with zero fatigue. These new horn speakers with Cardioid characteristics, their specs are impressive, just afraid that the compression driver so called time smear fatigue is unavoidable.

How can this quandary get resolved once and for all with some kind of scientific measurements?

Here is the translated review of the m1.5.

Attachments

• STEREO_09-2021 (1).pdf
    551.2 KB · Views: 128
Top Bottom