• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GGNTKT Model M1

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Really, heavy bass plate , filled legs, there will be a silicon gasket and the speakers are designed to be close to walls, or indeed placed on furniture where a stand won’t be required at all.
But when you insist on customers hearing the speakers in their own homes you need to provide a stand.
Keith

kaka89

Very excited to see another cardioid speaker. I love the external amp design too.

I am very interested to know how they perform in a room. Good to know that they can be placed close to the front wall. Is there a limitation on the side war as well? I have a 9ft narrow room.

From the spec I think they don’t go as low as the 8c, but I prefer the smaller sizes of these speakers.

@Purité Audio please do share your impression and compare them with the 8c and kii. I think they are a very competitive.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Kaka fear not I will bang on at great length don’t you worry.
They do look goof though most interesting speaker I have seen since the 8C and they have and M2 on the horizon!
Keith

kaka89

Thank you!

By the way, the M1 use a passive crossover? I only see one speaker terminal at the

Scgorg

Thank you!

By the way, the M1 use a passive crossover? I only see one speaker terminal at the
From what I've gathered these are meant to be used with an amplifier/DSP that comes along, you connect your source to that and then connect from that DSP amp to the speakers. I'm assuming the DSP linearises the frequency response and also controls the time delay/phase for the cardoid pattern.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really, heavy bass plate , filled legs, there will be a silicon gasket and the speakers are designed to be close to walls, or indeed placed on furniture where a stand won’t be required at all.
But when you insist on customers hearing the speakers in their own homes you need to provide a stand.
Keith
Would be nice if you could get these to Amir.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I will certainly mention it to Roland at GGNTKT, I think it a good idea.
Keith

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kaka fear not I will bang on at great length don’t you worry.
Please do, and do some in room measurements please.

Regarding their looks, I think they are crying out for a well designed wall shelf or bracket.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please do, and do some in room measurements please.

Regarding their looks, I think they are crying out for a well designed wall shelf or bracket.

A centre-channel speaker stand would be exactly the right form factor, no need for exorbitant custom stands.

kaka89

@roland{at}GGNTKT Could you disclose more information about the M2?

The biggest deal breaker of M1 is the wide baffle (wife not approve and a bit too big for my room) and stand.

roland{at}GGNTKT

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hey guys,
sorry I had some (offline) quality time with my family.
I try to catch up with your questions:

I've noticed you've posted measurements on your website now and it looks very good. Do you have any measurements showing the difference between the supercardioid and hypercardiod modes? Ideally in the form of a polar plot.

Yes, we will publish our full Klippel NFS measurements, but there is still some fine tuning happening right now (also our lead engineer has two weeks off).

As for the two cardioids modes the difference is between "the null(s)", that means the space were the sound energy is being cancelled. In the "regular" (super)cardioid mode it's 180°, so exactly at the back of the speaker. Within "hypercardioid" mode it' on apx. 135° on both sides, which might work better if being positioned in corners (two walls).

Here is a preview of the NFS measurement that plat a polar, so a view from above the speaker at 360°. So here you can see 8super)cardioid @316Hz:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-29 um 12.01.44.png

And so here is the hypercardioid (but @422 Hz)

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-29 um 12.02.02.png

Very excited to see another cardioid speaker. I love the external amp design too.

I am very interested to know how they perform in a room. Good to know that they can be placed close to the front wall. Is there a limitation on the side war as well? I have a 9ft narrow room.

From the spec I think they don’t go as low as the 8c, but I prefer the smaller sizes of these speakers.

Thanks!
Yes they can be placed very closed to a wall, of course you might do some room EQ depending on the situation.
As for narrow room – one of our showroom is only 3m wide, which equals almost 10ft, so about the same. Because to M1s constant directivity behavior there are only "good reflections" also from the sides. But you might prefer a "less livelier" sound, which means absorbing the first reflection points on the sides – it's a matter of taste at this point.

Right, D&D 8C – an excellent speaker by the way – is one or even two categories bigger, which translates into more bass (physics: more internal volume + more displacement + more amping).

From what I've gathered these are meant to be used with an amplifier/DSP that comes along, you connect your source to that and then connect from that DSP amp to the speakers. I'm assuming the DSP linearises the frequency response and also controls the time delay/phase for the cardoid pattern.

Right, it's an fully active and digital design, just with the electronics offboard. There is only a six-core cable to link with each speaker.

@roland{at}GGNTKT Could you disclose more information about the M2?
The biggest deal breaker of M1 is the wide baffle (wife not approve and a bit too big for my room) and stand.

Well, M2 is basically a scaled-up version of M1, as a floor standing box and will come with even more directivity modes. It uses the same tweeter but a 10" mid bass driver (closed). There is a hefty 12" at the back in a ported cabinet, so expect a lot of SPL down to 30 Hz (more than D&D 8C or Kii Audio BXT).

M2 will also have a wide baffle which is 48 cm (apx. 19"), but also very flat (< 20 cm / <8") – so really M1's proportions scaled-up. We found the WAF (woman acceptance factor) very high, because it looks more like a nice piece of furniture and not like a traditional speaker.

Hephaestus

I think that the speakers look great and pricing seems fair.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys,

Yes, we will publish our full Klippel NFS measurements, but there is still some fine tuning happening right now (also our lead engineer has two weeks off).

As for the two cardioids modes the difference is between "the null(s)", that means the space were the sound energy is being cancelled. In the "regular" (super)cardioid mode it's 180°, so exactly at the back of the speaker. Within "hypercardioid" mode it' on apx. 135° on both sides, which might work better if being positioned in corners (two walls).

Here is a preview of the NFS measurement that plat a polar, so a view from above the speaker at 360°. So here you can see 8super)cardioid @316Hz:
View attachment 71132

And so here is the hypercardioid (but @422 Hz)

View attachment 71131

Thanks!
Yes they can be placed very closed to a wall, of course you might do some room EQ depending on the situation.
As for narrow room – one of our showroom is only 3m wide, which equals almost 10ft, so about the same. Because to M1s constant directivity behavior there are only "good reflections" also from the sides. But you might prefer a "less livelier" sound, which means absorbing the first reflection points on the sides – it's a matter of taste at this point.

Right, D&D 8C – an excellent speaker by the way – is one or even two categories bigger, which translates into more bass (physics: more internal volume + more displacement + more amping).

Right, it's an fully active and digital design, just with the electronics offboard. There is only a six-core cable to link with each speaker.

Well, M2 is basically a scaled-up version of M1, as a floor standing box and will come with even more directivity modes. It uses the same tweeter but a 10" mid bass driver (closed). There is a hefty 12" at the back in a ported cabinet, so expect a lot of SPL down to 30 Hz (more than D&D 8C or Kii Audio BXT).

M2 will also have a wide baffle which is 48 cm (apx. 19"), but also very flat (< 20 cm / <8") – so really M1's proportions scaled-up. We found the WAF (woman acceptance factor) very high, because it looks more like a nice piece of furniture and not like a traditional speaker.
Roland, how about sending a pair to Amir for review and measurement?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I always wanted to have speakers with a certain level of aesthetics and industrial design, combined with the best possible acoustical performance in a given form factor. Yes, you could argue the B&O is also trying that, and its true. But I think they are a bit more on the design side and do sacrifice performance here and there. The reason why Model M1 (and also upcoming Model M2) has a wide baffle is because of that – I liked the design and its works acoustically very well.
[..]
I could go on and write much more, but feel free to ask [..]
There's a question lingering in my mind for some time now. Looking at active speakers in the higher price range I've noticed that the best of the traditional producers (Neumann, Genelec) stick with 3 way systems (KH310, KH420, Genelec One's series) while newer companies (Kii, Grimm Audio, Gegentakt) use 2-way systems (or 2 1/2 in case of the M1). The main arguments for 3-ways over 2-ways are less IMD and better spinorama. I do understand that with a wide baffle and a low reaching tweeter it's possible to get a good spinorama (see JBL M2) but what about IMD?

What were your reasons to stick with a basically 2-way speaker?

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
There's a question lingering in my mind for some time now. Looking at active speakers in the higher price range I've noticed that the best of the traditional producers (Neumann, Genelec) stick with 3 way systems (KH310, KH420, Genelec One's series) while newer companies (Kii, Grimm Audio, Gegentakt) use 2-way systems (or 2 1/2 in case of the M1). The main arguments for 3-ways over 2-ways are less IMD and better spinorama. I do understand that with a wide baffle and a low reaching tweeter it's possible to get a good spinorama (see JBL M2) but what about IMD?

What were your reasons to stick with a basically 2-way speaker?
Well, the M1 is small, but the question still stand for the M2. I guess you can distribute cost better if the drivers are so good that the distorsion doesn't rise too much at the crossover points even in a 2-way configuration.

Hey guys,

By the way, could you also include distorsion measurements at different levels (like Amir does)?

Scgorg

When you do a full suite I also agree that it would be interesting to see IMD measurements. Alternatively sending a pair to sound and recording for anechoic measurements (as a second measure beside the klippel) would be interesting. In that case we would also be able to compare the IMD to other speakers measured at their lab.

The lack of intermodulation distortion testing is one of my main gripes with Amir's current measurement suite, since harmonic distortion is more benign than intermodulation distortion. If this speaker appears to perform well in that regard then I will be very likely to buy a set at some point in the future.

Top Bottom