• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GGNTKT Model M1

roland{at}GGNTKT

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Just want to give you guys an impression of Model M1 beging measured with the Klippel NFS (the system that @amirm is also using). We will publish some results next month, since there will be some updates and refinements:

ggntkt_klippelNFS.jpeg

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just want to give you guys an impression of Model M1 beging measured with the Klippel NFS (the system that @amirm is also using). We will publish some results next month, since there will be some updates and refinements:

View attachment 63789
Looking at this, reminds me. Is there a speaker stand for this. The wideness (17") makes them incompatible with a lot of commercially available stands. Would actually be nice if there were a stand that fastened to the bottom and was as narrow as what we're seeing above--along with a heavy ung\tippable base and extra points if height adjustable. Expecially nice if they could be offerred for a reasonable price.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at this, reminds me. Is there a speaker stand for this. The wideness (17") makes them incompatible with a lot of commercially available stands. Would actually be nice if there were a stand that fastened to the bottom and was as narrow as what we're seeing above--along with a heavy ung\tippable base and extra points if height adjustable. Expecially nice if they could be offerred for a reasonable price.

https://www.liedtke-metalldesign.eu/

These guys do custom stands for other high-end domestic actives like Kii, DD, Manger, ADAM and so on. So that's likely be the closest fit, but shipping will probably be a killer from Germany.

FYI you can look at commercially-available stands for centre speakers in HTs. Those are in the same form factor.

edit: You can look at Sound Anchors or Sanus, depending on your budget.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering the same, I don't think I've seen any in a domestic room pictures either to get me head around what they look like. With speakers designed to work close to a wall a well thought out wall bracket could be a good idea as well.

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More questions for Roland.

(1) How is volume controlled? If I were to input the spidf output of a source (using AES/EBU converter) will there be a way to control overall output volume in the electronics package? A remote control?
(2) Is it possible to plug in a digital and an analog output into the electronics module and choose which input I want the electronics package to play? Again by a remote?
(3) If, in one of my use cases, I wanted to use the M1s as L-R fronts in a 5.1 multichannel surround set up, would that present any issues with latency? It's obvious the M1s input signals undergo a fair amount of AD to DA + EQ + Fir filtering, etc. How much delay in the worst case is that adding to the output? so much as to make them impractical to use as both an edge-of-the-art two channel and a L-R in a surround set up, or is the processing speedy enough to allow both use cases?

Last edited:

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
* Do you have more information about the software side? How is the DSP controlled, for example. Being a GNU/Linux user, I wonder if there's an API allowing to upload filters or something.
For this product, I don’t know, but
fouraudio, the dsp provider, is pretty good with Linux. I use their Dante card under Linux (128 channels with ALSA).
thats uncommon to say the least.

roland{at}GGNTKT

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks for asking.

More questions for Roland.

(1) How is volume controlled? If I were to input the spidf output of a source (using AES/EBU converter) will there be a way to control overall output volume in the electronics package? A remote control?

It's the same with almost every other active speaker: If you use the analog input, the volume is controlled outside/before via a pre amp. If you use the digital input you can either control the volume within the system via our software (done in the digital domain, no remote control, no mobile app yet) or outside/before with a digital pre amp or DDC (basically a DAC with an digital output and volume control).

We ourself (during demos and shows) and many of our customers use a Lake People DAT RS 05 for volume control and keep it digital all the way.

(2) Is it possible to plug in a digital and an analog output into the electronics module and choose which input I want the electronics package to play? Again by a remote?

Yes, you can also prioritize each input (in case both are connected) and use different gain setting on each. It's all done in software and does not need to be adjusted every time (except you chose an input that was de-prioritize while both are connected). No remote control as for now.

(3) If, in one of my use cases, I wanted to use the M1s as L-R fronts in a 5.1 multichannel surround set up, would that present any issues with latency? It's obvious the M1s input signals undergo a fair amount of AD to DA + EQ + Fir filtering, etc. How much delay in the worst case is that adding to the output? so much as to make them impractical to use as both an edge-of-the-art two channel and a L-R in a surround set up, or is the processing speedy enough to allow both use cases?

That's something we took care of: Latency all over is <8 ms, which is pretty low. It's even that low, that you could use it as a PA during live-music. We achieved that because we have a quiet powerful DSP and optimized filter implementation. Also even while doing linear-phase EQ, Model M1 does not need much phase EQ (= latency) in the bass area because of the closed cabinet, which has far less phase distortion.

The remaining latency would be compensated by your AVR in order to fit with your other speakers.

Multichannel und home cinema was a targeted use case right from the beginning. That is also why we made some design decisions, like the use of compression driver, flat cabinet, wide horizontal dispersion, etc. It's really a nice solution if you don't want in-wall or baffle-wall designs in your living room.

Scgorg

I've noticed you've posted measurements on your website now and it looks very good. Do you have any measurements showing the difference between the supercardioid and hypercardiod modes? Ideally in the form of a polar plot.

aac

I find the design really weird.
I thought it was an on-wall speaker with how shallow it is, and then it turned out it has speakers on its back, so doesn't look like an on-wall.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
To return to stands for a moment, ‘Custom Design’ a Uk company made these up, they are very basic and not nearly as pretty as Roland’s.

Keith

Top Bottom