• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GGNTKT M3 yes M3 Formerly known as M2!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Roland sent me some photographs of the prototype GGNTKT M2,

Keith

roland{at}GGNTKT

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks Keith @Purité Audio

A couple of quick facts while still in prototype phase:
  • Basically a scaled-up design of Model M1 as a standing speaker, so wide baffle and very shallow: 1100 x 480 x 185 mm (apx. 3.6 x 15.75 x 0.6 ft.)
  • It shared the same 44 mm (1.75") titanium compression driver as Model M1, but within a bigger waveguide.
  • Midbass driver is a 250 mm (10") low distortion design with an Nd-motor in a closed cabinet. Because of it's linear motor and suspension design (verified via Klippel LSI) is can also deliver quite bit of bass.
  • Additional bass is a 300 mm (12") mounted a the lower back in a ventilated cabinet (2x aerodynamic optimized ports, each located on the side wall). We haven't decided yet which driver, but there are two left. Both share the same impressive specs, like a 100mm (4") voicecoil, +/- >10 mm xmax and a 200mm (8") magnet. Each driver can deliver 105 dB SPL @35 Hz, which gives you plenty of headroom and should be sufficient with any music and non-artificial content.
  • Similar to Model M1 the overall concept is to shape directivity at every frequency in combination with the waveguide (hights), wide baffle (mids) and the cardioid pattern (bass).
  • Furthermore there will be patterns to help you integrate bass into your room.
  • Electronics will be integrated within the speaker this time, expect apx. 1000W SMPS classD per loudspeaker (Pascal again).
  • Since we use the same DSP platform like Model M1, most filters are FIR based and linear-phase. Also there is advanced limiters and dynamic-EQ, which give you an extra turbo when you need it.
I will post some update form time to time.

– roland

Last edited:

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Certainly a cool-looking thing that can fit most homes. Consider me intrigued!

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Rear 12” driver ‘possibles’,

Keith

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

• Basically a scaled-up design of Model M1 as a standing speaker, so wide baffle and very shallow: 1100 x 480 x 185 mm (apx. 3.6 x 15.75 x 6 ft.)
  • It shared the same 44 mm (1.75") titanium compression driver as Model M1, but within a bigger waveguide.
  • Midbass driver is a 250 mm (10") low distortion design with an Nd-motor in a closed cabinet. Because of it's linear motor and suspension design (verified via Klippel LSI) is can also deliver quite bit of bass.
  • Additional bass is a 300 mm (12") mounted a the lower back in a ventilated cabinet (2x aerodynamic optimized ports, each located on the side wall). We haven't decided yet which driver, but there are two left. Both share the same impressive specs, like a 100mm (4") voicecoil, +/- >10 mm xmax and a 200mm (8") magnet. Each driver can deliver 105 dB SPL @35 Hz, which gives you plenty of headroom and should be sufficient with any music and non-artificial content.
  • Similar to Model M1 the overall concept is to shape directivity at every frequency in combination with the waveguide (hights), wide baffle (mids) and the cardioid pattern (bass).
  • Electronics will be integrated within the speaker this time, expect apx. 1000W SMPS classD per loudspeaker (Pascal again).
  • Since we use the same DSP platform like Model M1, most filters are FIR based and linear-phase. Also there is advanced limiters and dynamic-EQ, which give you an extra turbo when you need it.

– roland

I know that you are the one making them, but I don't think they measure six feet in any direction.

And measurements matter here! :)

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

• Basically a scaled-up design of Model M1 as a standing speaker, so wide baffle and very shallow: 1100 x 480 x 185 mm (apx. 3.6 x 15.75 x 0.6 ft.)

– roland

So excited to see more about this speaker.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very curius , how to get good xover with a 10” midrange can the compresion driver be crossed over at a relative low frequncy ? No penalty compared to the M1 distorsion , dispersion any such compromise ?
A assume given the DSP you can use very steep filters and be closer to the drivers upper and lower limits than practical with passive speakers .

It looks cool. It has serious midbass displacement :)

roland{at}GGNTKT

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes, the magic happens within the DSP. The compression driver can be crossed very low and we can apply very step FIR filter and target functions – something that can't be done with passive crossovers. Also the waveguide helps with additional sensitivity.

The midbass has a lot of x-max capabilities (6,5-11 mm) and its verified via Klippel LSI:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-25 um 10.08.42.png

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Sry just curious. How deep you have to go with the tweeter that you still have good dircetivity match with the 10inch?? And why you changed the active system to a active speaker?

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Form factor is very interesting due to DSP close to wall is possible so in practice it does not take more room real estate than a stand mount speaker , cool.

roland{at}GGNTKT

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sry just curious. How deep you have to go with the tweeter that you still have good dircetivity match with the 10inch?? And why you changed the active system to a active speaker?

If you look closely you can see that the waveguide matches the witdh of the front mid-woofer, which is part of equation. I can't disclose the crossover since it's in the making and not final yet. But I can assure that it's gonna work out just as fine as with others that use larger mid woofers (Genelec S360, JBL M2, ...)

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I mean displacement overall , but most speakers I owned lack “slam” for lack of a better word the typical 6,5” speaker does not do that :)

"slam" is usually around 150Hz a 6,5" can do this. But a 10" does it with much more ease. Thats just the homegame for the big guys. ;)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I mean ask the bass players. I need more "slam"?! Ok get a cabinet with 4 x10". I need more boooom, ok get a 18inch. But never, never talk with them about 6inch, then they say they have aleady a bullet tweeter for the
"Ziingg" ;) Joking. :)

al2002

Forum Donor
Roland, looking at the position of the 25 cm mid unit on the front, I expect to see some boundary effects (Allison Effect) in the upper bass lower mid range region due to the floor. I’d estimate 125-200 Hz. Will the mid range be rolled off to the woofer so that it does not operate in this region, or are you using some other means to avoid this problem?

The speaker is very thin, so will you be adding a base or outriggers to improve stability ? The form factor reminds me of the Avantgarde Zero series. I hope it it not equally expensive!

Lastly, may I urge you to build a convolution engine into the speaker’s firmware so that it can run filters? D&D 8C can run REW generated filters, Genelec and Avantgarde Zero offer their own software options. All 21st century DSP speakers should have this feature, IMO.

roland{at}GGNTKT

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Roland, looking at the position of the 25 cm mid unit on the front, I expect to see some boundary effects (Allison Effect) in the upper bass lower mid range region due to the floor. I’d estimate 125-200 Hz. Will the mid range be rolled off to the woofer so that it does not operate in this region, or are you using some other means to avoid this problem?

Yes, there will be different presets, for 3-way, 2.5-way, cardioid, etc some of the do address the boundary effects.

The speaker is very thin, so will you be adding a base or outriggers to improve stability ?

Probable yes, but the prototype still lacks ist.

Lastly, may I urge you to build a convolution engine into the speaker’s firmware so that it can run filters? D&D 8C can run REW generated filters, Genelec and Avantgarde Zero offer their own software options. All 21st century DSP speakers should have this feature, IMO.

Well, that's a special topic. To put it simple, there are two ways to locate roomEQ/convolution, (a) within the speaker-electronics or (b) within the source. I'm not sure which way will be more accepted. On one hand, you need a source anyway and most of their hard- and software does already heavy pre-processing. Just take ROON (which we use ourself), which has very nice feature and an easy GUI for all of that. As for the speaker electronics we focus more on "lower level" feature like advanced (look-ahead) limiters, dynamicEQs, etc which could not be done within the source. Sure we can also do some room EQ within our software, but I think you would be better off going with your source if you can.

Top Bottom