• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Getting tired of trying to eliminate bass

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I live in a small room in a duplex, so as much as I love bass, I have to eliminate most of it. In terms of where I can put speakers, I can really only use 2 walls and plus I have 2 setups, a desktop one and a Home Theater one. I rearranged my room a few times, put up some blankets and even converted my 5.0.2 to a 3.0 at times. Generally when I use my subwoofer, I hear about 25% of its volume in my chair and my towers bass I can hear about 35% of its volume in my chair (My towers are always set at -10db bass). As I recently got done turning my 3.0 into a 5.0.2, I'm just thinking about downsizing a bit. I'm a little tempted just rearrange my room again and use only bookshelf's. I was thinking either my pair of Polk RTI6's or even my Realistic Minimus 7's.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have towers and a sub. I run the sub -15db and role it at 39Hz.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I have towers and a sub. I run the sub -15db and role it at 39Hz.
I don't really use a crossover. Some music just sounds weird when crossovered regardless of freq. My DSPs use the still and its still used as a LFE. I really don't use subs. In my chair, I can barely hear the bass while on the corners of my room it sounds like a party.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A sub trying to run full range must sound awful. Most subs sound bad from 70Hz up and if you have an overlap with your towers that will make it all worse.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
A sub trying to run full range must sound awful. Most subs sound bad from 70Hz up and if you have an overlap with your towers that will make it all worse.
I listen to the sub at low volumes. I don't really use the sub that much anyways. I usually like the equal bass coming from my towers.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
What is the point in using speakers if you have to neuter their output? Just use headphones and enjoy a fuller range experience. Seriously, without bass I wouldn't listen to music at all, it would sound dreadful and lifeless I feel.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
What is the point in using speakers if you have to neuter their output? Just use headphones and enjoy a fuller range experience. Seriously, without bass I wouldn't listen to music at all, it would sound dreadful and lifeless I feel.
I tried to use headphones but I didn't like the experience at all. That's why I sold off my AKG 7XX and Topping L30 many months ago.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
I live in a small room in a duplex, so as much as I love bass, I have to eliminate most of it. In terms of where I can put speakers, I can really only use 2 walls and plus I have 2 setups, a desktop one and a Home Theater one. I rearranged my room a few times, put up some blankets and even converted my 5.0.2 to a 3.0 at times. Generally when I use my subwoofer, I hear about 25% of its volume in my chair and my towers bass I can hear about 35% of its volume in my chair (My towers are always set at -10db bass). As I recently got done turning my 3.0 into a 5.0.2, I'm just thinking about downsizing a bit. I'm a little tempted just rearrange my room again and use only bookshelf's. I was thinking either my pair of Polk RTI6's or even my Realistic Minimus 7's.
Would an Open Baffle sub-woofer reduce output transmitted through walls since it won't pressurize the room? Maybe Tactile transducers mounted on your couch or listening Chair?

That's about the way I would go about it. Isolating your chair from the floor would negate much of sound transmission of the Tactile Transducers to others in your duplex.

If your getting complaints? This might be the best way to go about it. I could not ever fathom living in a duplex let alone an apartment again.

It really is amazing how far Bass frequency travels. Even though its output at the listening area is barely audible.

I wonder if you made a 6th order box with port tubes directed at your listening area so they provide output to your ears, but then cancel much of that output to the room. Kind of like your coupled between them. So you get to hear it, but then quickly diminishes its energy out side of the space you are sitting in.

Maybe that would work? so it's like you're sitting in between headphones and you use your regular sub-woofer with active noise cancellation software so that it takes care of whatever bass that is in your room. I don't think it's going to work very well for low frequencies but it's something you could try out in your spare time with some free software into microphones

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Would an Open Baffle sub-woofer reduce output transmitted through walls since it won't pressurize the room? Maybe Tactile transducers mounted on your couch or listening Chair?
Few years ago, I was thinking of getting one of those buttkicker for my old chair. I should've bought one when I had a job

If your getting complaints? This might be the best way to go about it. I could not ever fathom living in a duplex let alone an apartment again.
I'm not getting complaints but I'm sure they can hear it. I was once told my neighbors son, these cheap speakers that had 15" woofers. I went into there room and it barely sounded like there bassing but on our side, it sounded way louder then it was outputting. Even with my bookshelfs at my desk, the bass is pretty loud at the corners of my room. I personally don't mind my neighbors making a bit of noise but my mother expects our side be quiet as a house in the countryside. So when they make noise, she builds up anger and eventually chews them out. I keep telling her we both make noise but she never listens.

It really is amazing how far Bass frequency travels. Even though its output at the listening area is barely audible.
I know right, its very annoying. My old room, I was able to hear 10% of the sub output.

I wonder if you made a 6th order box with port tubes directed at your listening area so they provide output to your ears, but then cancel much of that output to the room. Kind of like your coupled between them. So you get to hear it, but then quickly diminishes its energy out side of the space you are sitting in.

Maybe that would work? so it's like you're sitting in between headphones and you use your regular sub-woofer with active noise cancellation software so that it takes care of whatever bass that is in your room. I don't think it's going to work very well for low frequencies but it's something you could try out in your spare time with some free software into microphones
Not much of a handy man and I don't have "normal" microphones. My desktop setup, I'm basically running it rare. My mini home theater setup, I use the included stereo mic and AVRs own calibration.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Do you want to try out one of those Bass shakers?
1649221973374.png

Would this work you think?

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Size of the room?
Material od the room?
Pictures?
And most importantly: Would it be possible to post some measurements?

Things can be diagnosed from these. We are in deep speculations else.

Peace.

charleski

Major Contributor
Have you tired decoupling the sub from the floor? My sub sits on a large, heavy paving stone that's resting on a number of sorbathane footers. This does a fairly good job of making sure the output from the sub doesn't excite resonant modes in your flooring which will then travel through the building.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would this work you think?
Probably in the future
This is an excellent suggestion, I am using a buttkicker on my lazyboy, when I want to listen but cannot listen too loud, with a little experimentation it is very rewarding. Feeling the bass somehow makes the bass we hear fuller. Our ears and brain are amazing tools.

Matthias McCready

When I lived in a small apartment with thin walls, I ended up not using a sub at all.

I instead found some small sealed bookshelf speakers that I liked a lot. They certainly did not have an authoritative low-end (being an older model with a 6.5" driver) but I really came to enjoy what they did have, and found I did not miss having a sub that much.

My neighbors were happier for it.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
When I lived in a small apartment with thin walls, I ended up not using a sub at all.

I instead found some small sealed bookshelf speakers that I liked a lot. They certainly did not have an authoritative low-end (being an older model with a 6.5" driver) but I really came to enjoy what they did have, and found I did not miss having a sub that much.

My neighbors were happier for it.
That's just crazy talk.

Top Bottom