• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Getting started with making music :-)

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't understand what WINE has to do with this. Just record under linux. It's all there.

markanini

Major Contributor
Just record under linux. It's all there.
A lot of OSes that can record waveforms, nothing special about that. A well known fact is that a large amount of DAW and plugin developers cater to Windows and OSX exclusively. That's why the demand for translation software exists. It doesn't work 100% of the time, that's why most (not all)chose a mainstream OS for the task.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Kraftwerk
One would definitely want a Roland TR-808 or emulator for that accurate sound;
Unfortunately the best 303/808/909 emu was discontinued in 2017;
Although you may want to look here too;

JSmith

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To end the OS debate, i use Linux but can run Windows software in a VM if i have to.

I guess i still need some hardware interface that allows me to connect two devices that support Midi to the computer. Is Midi a bus or do i need a Midi port on my computer for every hardware device?

markanini

Major Contributor
Modern synths with USB ports like the Minilogue XD double as USB-Midi interfaces, should be recognized in any OS that supports USB 2.0.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

bequietjk

Where's the REAPER love!!???

I've had REAPER DAW for years and recently started going over tutorials and really digging deep. For videos and tutorials you'll find a good amount and for starting out its free. If you want the license its $60.

You'll find your way! Keep at it!

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I'm not a musician and I don't do this stuff but I'll still through a couple of thoughts at you...

If you're going to record voice (or anything else acoustic) you'll need a good microphone and an audio interface. Studios use "large diaphragm condenser" mics for vocals and almost everything else. They usually go for $100 or more. If you spend more than a few hundred dollars you can get "features' like a low-cut switch, and "pad" switch, variable patterns, etc. Or you can spend a lot more for a mic with no features, but the main difference in "sound quality" or "sound character" is frequency response and that can be tweaked with EQ.

A "basic" stereo interface also goes for $100 or more. Since it sounds like you'll be performing solo you don't need a multi-channel interface. (Although if you're recording drums you'll generally want more mics & more channels.) One feature to look for is zero-latency direct-hardware monitoring. There is always some latency (delay) through the computer and if there's too much latency it's difficult to perform. Again, you an spend a lot more for an interface but $100 -$200 interfaces are usually quite-good.

With just a MIDI keyboard and DAW (and virtual instruments) you can create a full virtual band or orchestra.

You don't need a mixer. Your DAW will mix. But a "small" USB mixer can double as an analog mixer and an interface. Just be aware that most inexpensive USB mixers only record the stereo mix. There are higher end USB mixers that double as multi-channel interfaces.

Audacity (free) isn't a full DAW but it can record mono or stereo and it do multi-track mix-down (so you can record one or two tracks at a time and mix later). But it doesn't have MIDI capability and it's missing some features so it's not really ideal for multi-track mixing
If someone is just starting out, a USB measurement mic (the same one we use to measure our rooms) is perfectly acceptable for vocals, instrument and room mic. Its not a U47, but who needs that quality in the beginning? I’ve managed to achieve really quite acceptable vocal results with the inbuilt mic on my MacBook and the tools in GarageBand. The rush to buy quality tools will not be what gives results. That’ll be talent, skill and perseverance mixed with some passion and creativity.

Top Bottom