• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Getting no sound from atmos speakers - Denon avr did in setup

theonline3333

Hi. I set up a Denon s760h with 5.0.2 with two micca covo-s speakers set to top middle. During the Denon setup when it plays sounds in each speaker I heard sounds from the atmos speakers. I have Denon mode set to movie D Surround. I hear surround sound in surround speakers but when I play demos and videos that are labeled as having atmos I hear nothing from the top speakers. I am using a pc in windows 10 to play video. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Where are you playing them from?
Sometimes I have to use the auto audio mode setting on my x3700h to it properly go into atmos mode and output atmos.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Marantz is the same way even when the "Atmos" display is lit. Out of curiosity, I disconnected all but the height speakers and discovered that there is output, but mostly low-level ambience. Where I seem to notice a difference with Atmos is not in the height channels per se, but in a general sense with sounds not seeming to emanate from the individual speakers.

OP
T

theonline3333

Where are you playing them from?
Sometimes I have to use the auto audio mode setting on my x3700h to it properly go into atmos mode and output atmos.
Thanks. I am using a pc and windows 10. I have it working now. I do want to ask you though about that auto mode. I have my mode set to movies - D Sur because at first it was on stereo and could not figure out why my surround was not working. I have not found an auto mode. That would be great because I did not know if I should do D Sur or DTS mode.

Update - I got the audio working with atmos on windows. I tried a few things but I am thinking what may have fixed it was download the dolby app from windows store and set it to home theater and set windows spacial sound to dolby atmos for home theater then restarted the pc and now I can hear sounds from those speakers in a movie.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I am using a pc and windows 10. I have it working now. I do want to ask you though about that auto mode. I have my mode set to movies - D Sur because at first it was on stereo and could not figure out why my surround was not working. I have not found an auto mode. That would be great because I did not know if I should do D Sur or DTS mode.

Update - I got the audio working with atmos on windows. I tried a few things but I am thinking what may have fixed it was download the dolby app from windows store and set it to home theater and set windows spacial sound to dolby atmos for home theater then restarted the pc and now I can hear sounds from those speakers in a movie.
Where are you playing your movies from?

OP
T

theonline3333

Where are you playing your movies from?
Thanks. The issue is fixed now. I did not know before that youtube was playing in stereo so atmos test videos on there were useless. I think the dolby app on windows fixed it.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I thought Dolby Atmos app on Windows was for headphones only. Am I behind the times?

OP
T

theonline3333

I thought Dolby Atmos app on Windows was for headphones only. Am I behind the times?
They have a version you can pay for for headphones but the app has another setting mode that says Dolby Atmos for Home Theater. When I right click my sound icon in the task bar under speakers it now says Dolby Atmos for Home Theater and now when I play a video file with atmos sound I can hear it. I am not sure if that is what did it as I changed a few other settings at the same time but I think that is what did it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. I set up a Denon s760h with 5.0.2 with two micca covo-s speakers set to top middle. During the Denon setup when it plays sounds in each speaker I heard sounds from the atmos speakers. I have Denon mode set to movie D Surround. I hear surround sound in surround speakers but when I play demos and videos that are labeled as having atmos I hear nothing from the top speakers. I am using a pc in windows 10 to play video. Any ideas?

Thanks!
I don’t think you can play Atmos tracks from a PC unless you are using professional Dolby software.

How is your connection, PC to Denon?

OP
T

theonline3333

Thanks everyone. This problem is fixed. I got the audio working with atmos on windows. I tried a few things but I am thinking what may have fixed it was download the dolby app from windows store and set it to home theater and set windows spacial sound to dolby atmos for home theater then restarted the pc and now I can hear sounds from those speakers in a movie.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Sounds like the app will pass along Atmos encoded data to the AVR, and since the AVR has an Atmos license, it will play.
If you want Atoms output directly from a PC, without an AVR intermediary, you would need the pro software installed on the PC.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks everyone. This problem is fixed. I got the audio working with atmos on windows. I tried a few things but I am thinking what may have fixed it was download the dolby app from windows store and set it to home theater and set windows spacial sound to dolby atmos for home theater then restarted the pc and now I can hear sounds from those speakers in a movie.
How do you pass signal from the PC to Denon?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well he has an AVR so there is no reason to assume any other method.
SPDIF is fine for surround and he had issues only on spatial, surround was OK.

Anyway, there’s no point to debate with me. I asked a question to him. It’s his prerogative to answer or not. Nobody else can answer.

OP
T

theonline3333

SPDIF is fine for surround and he had issues only on spatial, surround was OK.

Anyway, there’s no point to debate with me. I asked a question to him. It’s his prerogative to answer or not. Nobody else can answer.
I have my pc hooked up to the AVR then from the AVR hdmi earc to the tv hdmi earc input.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom