• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Getting a stubborn old man to use a hearing aid!

napfkuchen

It's the same with my mother. Over the last 5 or so years her hearing ability has declined quite a bit. The living room bookshelf speakers didn't live up to her (sound level) needs and were replaced by Klipsch floorstanding speakers. Thankfully they have a detached house, so nobody else is bothered ... We brought her hearing loss up in conversations but just like you without success. In January she had an ear infection which took a lot of time to heal. After visiting the doctor several times she finally made an appointment with a hearing aid acoustician for next week. So still lots of problems ahead ... :facepalm:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I had a (older) friend with hearing loss. Her TV was a little too loud for me, and sometimes so loud that I was more comfortable wearing ear plugs. But she could hear me speaking as long as I was in the same room and it was only a minor problem. A few years earlier she had been to the audiologist and she was "borderline". I didn't "push her" one way or the other because she had other medical issues and it would be one more daily thing to deal with.

But later, she was attending a bible study and having trouble hearing and she wasn't really opposed to getting hearing aids. Still, I wasn't sure if she would use them or they might be too inconvenient and she wouldn't use them. We didn't have a "serious discussion" about it, but I thought she might spend a few thousand dollars and then not use them. But, by this time she had a caregiver coming-in daily so there would be someone to help her. So, as an trial-experiment I bought her a cheap over-the-counter pair from Amazon (about $100 USD). If she liked using them, we could get something better. They actually worked-out very well and she was happy with them! But, she passed-away before we got beyond the "experiment".

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure about Sweden but the US has just allowed "over the counter" OTC hearing aids meaning no doctor perscription required. So @DanielT, you buy an inexpensive one, many you can adjust with a home hearing test and app, and let him try it. Once he starts hearing better he will use it at least at home. If not you are out a little money and might get a second chance or on and off use, leading to full time adoption.

Just went through this with my 97 yr old mother. In the US, Costco has decent prices and six month full money back guarantee on several top rated brands, plus a comprehensive free hearing test and several free visits to tune them in. Rated No. 1 by Consumer Reports. Update: She uses them every day without fail and still complains about them and everything else.

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
It is tragicomic. Stubborn aging people and their hearing aids. Or lack of, or::D:oops:

Note. This is not a disaster, my dad has just got a little hearing loss. But if we share tips and advice, we might be able to help others in the same situation.

Edit:
But my father should still make a visit to the doctor and or audiologist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom