• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Labs NEW J2 Dac

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Enog2 Pro had the ability to switch gain level by holding down the button for 3 seconds.
I could not find official Enog2 Pro specifications, but I am guessing Low gain = 2.5v and High gain = 4v (4.3v according to XLR measurements).

And according to Geshelli the JNOG DAC has 3 gain level settings (low/med/high).

As does the J2- same set up- see the Manual https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/52b28b80-5994-41e3-9b66-4d188ae2874f/downloads/jnog2 user manual.pdf?ver=1621055624915

@Geshelli - you might want to update the webpage to clarify 2.5V isnt Max XLR output- I think youve just shown the measurements at either low or med gain (whichever 2.5V is)

Holding input button again toggles output level @SBrob @Drengur @Swtoby @blagadies @dseong @Veri

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As does the J2- same set up- see the Manual https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/52b28b80-5994-41e3-9b66-4d188ae2874f/downloads/jnog2 user manual.pdf?ver=1621055624915

@Geshelli - you might want to update the webpage to clarify 2.5V isnt Max XLR output- I think youve just shown the measurements at either low or med gain (whichever 2.5V is)

Holding input button again toggles output level

Thanks for clarifying.
I was actually thinking the new J2 was missing this feature.

One more thing I noticed, in the J2 manual the “J2” is referred to as the “JNOG”.
So I guess J2 = JNOG2.

Guess they went with J2 since there was an “updated version” of the original JNOG.

Anyway message to product users:
Please read the instruction manual carefully.
(I always do from beginning to end)

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for clarifying.
I was actually thinking the new J2 was missing this feature.

One more thing I noticed, in the J2 manual the “J2” is referred to as the “JNOG”.
So I guess J2 = JNOG2.

Anyway message to product users:
Please read the instruction manual carefully.
(I always do from beginning to end)

I guess so. Suspect the faff of having to rebuild with new DAC chip was more important than redoing the manual wholesale- presumably the short lived AKM Jnog(1) was functionally identical to the J2 so nothing changes apart from the chip type listed in the specs.

Eldgrim

From their website it seems that 2.5V is the voltage at "Full Volume"-mode. Unless I am missing something.

jnog2.png

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I guess so. Suspect the faff of having to rebuild with new DAC chip was more important than redoing the manual wholesale- presumably the short lived AKM Jnog(1) was functionally identical to the J2 so nothing changes apart from the chip type listed in the specs.

I do not own any Geshelli products but I was hoping the J2 would add a few features and grow bigger.

I was looking towards a new enclosure with Gain level + attenuation (Pre-Amp function) + remote added.
Maybe next time. . .

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not own any Geshelli products but I was hoping the J2 would add a few features and grow bigger.

I was looking towards a new enclosure with Gain level + attenuation (Pre-Amp function) + remote added.
Maybe next time. . .

Yup- a volume control would have been nice- but at least it has USB!

blagadies

Why? You will pair this with an amp anyway.
The standard is > or equal to 4 out of balanced output...2.5 is way to low. This indicates a poorly designed output stage also indicating cut corners. There might be a reason the jnog and now j2 were not sent in by geshelli. The enog2 pro was btw. Too many options at this price point that kill it on the bench, 2.5 is abysmal.

dseong

Sherri from Geshelli emailed me that a regulator needs to be replaced for the J2. A new shipment is to arrive on the 28th (today). Will keep this thread updated.

Morpheus85

My J2 starts to crackle on the right channel. I think there is a defective opamp.

Morpheus85

this is so crazy. i have baked my J2 Board with 110° for 30 minutes. and this is working. my J2 is like new :oops: all is working.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-05-29 at 16.35.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-29 at 16.35.06.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 479

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Eldgrim

Indeed you are https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/geshelli-labs-new-j2-dac.22622/post-787956

So, like @TheTalbotHound says, the measurement is single ended OR its on something other than "max" output setting XLR as per my linked post and the user manual. Its 4v XLR on max

What in the manual clarifies what I was missing? I can only see that it mentions three different volume modes, but nothing about their voltage output.

According to the measurements on their website, XLR out with "Full volume" is 2.5V on the J2. I don't see what indicates that this measurement is single-ended, when they clearly state "XLR output" which is balanced.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What in the manual clarifies what I was missing? I can only see that it mentions three different volume modes, but nothing about their voltage output.

According to the measurements on their website, XLR out with "Full volume" is 2.5V on the J2. I don't see what indicates that this measurement is single-ended, when they clearly state "XLR output" which is balanced.

You are correct, it doesnt say what the V levels of the 3 output settings are, just that there are 3 levels. There is no way the highest output from XLR is 2.5V - what the hell would low and medium be ?

And yes, missed the fact your screen grab and website clearly says XLR at the bottom. Hopefully @Geshelli can clarify what the output levels on the J2 RCA and XLR are , pretty please.

Eldgrim

There is no way the highest output from XLR is 2.5V - what the hell would low and medium be ?

Good question! I agree that it would be a bit odd if the maximum was 2.5V.

I emailed them and asked if they could provide more information about the volume levels for both RCA and XLR, will get back to you when I get their response.

Eldgrim

Got an answer from Geno of Geshelli Labs.

"Roughly 2.5Vrms output for XLR and RCA @ 0dbfs [max input sine]."

This is in line with their measurements on the website. He also gave rough estimates for the lower gain stages but will get back to me with more specifics when he has the data in front of him.

jmaz87

Being able to switch from the Amanero USB with Foobar for bit perfect music and then switch over to Optical out from my motherboard for gaming and general computing in combination with an ASIO implementation of voicemeeter has been fantastic.

I love my J2 but have had problems trying to use the ASIO combo 384 driver within Voicemeeter Potato with "preferred sample rate" never had this issue with Topping E30. could u post your settings it sound like we have similar use cases tho i was trying to avoid the optical and USB just because I'm lazy...
normally i use foobar as u mentioned or VM for normal use with capture card and things like voice chat routed. but i was up sampling to 192.24b

ArR

I love my J2 but have had problems trying to use the ASIO combo 384 driver within Voicemeeter Potato with "preferred sample rate" never had this issue with Topping E30. could u post your settings it sound like we have similar use cases tho i was trying to avoid the optical and USB just because I'm lazy...
normally i use foobar as u mentioned or VM for normal use with capture card and things like voice chat routed. but i was up sampling to 192.24b
How j2 compares with e30 … any noticeable difference?

Top Bottom