• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Labs NEW J2 Dac

alpha_logic

Thanks for the suggestions alpha_logic
Turned out to be user error. The CD input on the marantz was set to digital, I made the assumption that it would auto detect the input that was actually being sent a signal, there was no other CD connection.
Glad you worked it out. The J2 is one of my favorite DAC's under a thousand dollars, together with the VMV D1SE and the Topping D70s - both of which cost over twice of what the J2 costs.

ToneDeafMonk

Nice thread Just ordered my J2 today with the AKM4493 chip in blue / smoke .

I wish there was a way of sending signal in RCA as my current media streamer the new Tempotec Serenade X has only RCA SE or 4.4 out and no digital outputs

Attachments

• al_mist_smoked.png
    al_mist_smoked.png
    374.8 KB · Views: 72

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I wish there was a way of sending signal in RCA as my current media streamer the new Tempotec Serenade X has only RCA SE or 4.4 out and no digital outputs
What would be the point of sending an analogue signal to a digital to analogue converter? It doesn't need converting.

ToneDeafMonk

What would be the point of sending an analogue signal to a digital to analogue converter? It doesn't need converting.
I like the Tempotec Serenade X as a music streamer DAP , I also have a Hiby R6 2020 with usb/Coax dig out so not end of world . All would be solved if the player had a digital outputs.

The J2 will be sending XLR out to a Topping A90D and Xlr out to the Adam Audio F7 Studio monitors and sub.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm confused. I've looked at the product website for the Tempotec Serenade and see no evidence of streaming capability. It's only a DAP and DAC.

ToneDeafMonk

I'm confused. I've looked at the product website for the Tempotec Serenade and see no evidence of streaming capability. It's only a DAP and DAC.
Your right I was excited about winning it on a contest and using it as a media streamer... It does stream as a BT out only not WiFi or network a bit misleading unless I haven't figured it out yet the owners manual is non existent LOL.

I am just going to send out signal with my R6 2020 with its unique USBC-Coax dig out into the J2 problem solved and move the SERANADE X to bedside .

DonZ

I recently purchased a used J2 and I'm running into an issue playing DSD files. I've got the J2 connected via USB to a Pi4 running RopieeeXL. The problem is that the left and right channels are reversed when I pick "DSD over PCM v1.0 (DoP)" in Roon device setup for the J2. If I pick "Convert to PCM" in setup then DSD files play with the correct channel alignment. This happens for any DSD file and I've tried quite a few. I suspect this issue might be solved with an upgrade to the firmware on the J2's Amareno USB card. Has anyone run into this problem?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently purchased a used J2 and I'm running into an issue playing DSD files. I've got the J2 connected via USB to a Pi4 running RopieeeXL. The problem is that the left and right channels are reversed when I pick "DSD over PCM v1.0 (DoP)" in Roon device setup for the J2. If I pick "Convert to PCM" in setup then DSD files play with the correct channel alignment. This happens for any DSD file and I've tried quite a few. I suspect this issue might be solved with an upgrade to the firmware on the J2's Amareno USB card. Has anyone run into this problem?
That sounds more likely to be a bug in the Pi4 software stack. Are there RopieeeXL forums you can ask on?

DonZ

That sounds more likely to be a bug in the Pi4 software stack. Are there RopieeeXL forums you can ask on?
Sure but since I've used this exact Pi4 setup to play DSD files on at least 3 different DACs, this seems more like an issue with USB on the J2. Has anyone here with a J2 successfully played DSD files with correct left/right channel alignment?

mg57

I have the last generation Geshelli and a brand new Modius as of April 2024. According to my ears:

The Modius seems a to be a little "toppier" and "thinner" than the Geshelli when driven via USB. I understand why some people use the word "clinical" in the sound output.

The Geshelli is rich, nice soundstage, and powerful via USB and optical in. The Geshelli is weaker when using RCA out (got a wicked hum) but the XLR out worked just fine.

However, if I use the optical in on the Modius things improve significantly to the point where I can't really hear the difference between the two boxes. The Modius has a better system of selecting a source.

Between the two I prefer the Geshelli even though on ASR it is not recommended... I just like how it sounds.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Modius seems a to be a little "toppier" and "thinner" than the Geshelli when driven via USB. I understand why some people use the word "clinical" in the sound output.
I very much doubt this is in the signal from the DAC. Well designed, well measuring dacs don't sound different if they are working correctly - and even when not well measuring, don't sound different in this way. There is nothing a DAC can do to the sound stage for example.

The Geshelli is weaker when using RCA out (got a wicked hum) but the XLR out worked just fine.
That wicked hum is a ground loop. It is not a problem with the product (DAC) but is a symptom of the way your system is set up. (Ground loops are system problems, not component problems)

PS - welcome to the forum. There is a lot to be learnt here if you are of a mind to do so. :)

Top Bottom