• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Labs ENOG2 PRO DAC Fully balanced

Legion1capone

Geshelli Labs just released a brand new fully balanced DAC the ENOG2 PRO DAC. Currently on sale for $159 for black friday. Do you know of any other fully balanced dac's near this price?

IT'S HERE!
Introducting our next generation Digital to Analog Converter, the ENOG2 Pro. We've performed a totally new transformation on our design process. Featuring the AKM 4493 DAC chip paired with the TIOPA 1642 backend. It includes full sized XLR balanced outputs along with a set of RCA outputs. The DAC include the standard TOSLINK and COAX SPDIF inputs for crystal clear audio. We focused on low noise characteristics tied in with an ULTRA FLAT Frequency Response.

SPECIFICATIONS
AK4493 - AK4117 Chipset

256x Oversampling

THD+N -113dB S/N 123dB

20-20,000Hz Ultra Flat Frequency Response

24 Bit 192khz Toslink/Coaxial Inputs

Independent Ultra Low Noise Power Regulators

TI OPA 1642 Output Driver Circuit

3 Level Volume Selection

Three Case Options

FCC Class A Verified

FCC Efficiency Power Supply Included

Dimensions - 4.3"x3.0"x1.8"

ENOG2 pro dac.jpg

ENOG2 pro dac 2.jpg

ENOG2 pro dac 3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
L

Legion1capone

The 3 volumes you have to select from for the output can be changed by holding down the input select button. :)

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting DAC, thanks for sharing!
More like a Gala DAC that a balanced SDAC, because of the lack of USB and the focus on low noise.
The price is closer to the balanced SDAC though... (or SMSL SU8 for that matter)

I would be curious to see it measured here :)

Last edited:

pos

Forum Donor
OK, let's start with a list of question in case @Geshelli pay us a visit :)
  • Is the unit completely pop-free when turned on or off, or when spdif sync is acquired/lost?
  • What are the max output levels of the 3 level settings (in Vrms or dBu for 0dBFS) ? Is the XLR output level double that of the RCA one?
  • Can you explain how does the single button operate (level selection? input selection? on/off? does the led give a feedback?)
  • Are all parameters (input and level) memorized when the unit is turned off?
  • Does it simply turn on/off following the DC input?
  • What is the output impedance? (It was a pretty high 600 ohm in the first ENOG DAC, and here it is a balanced output, so potentially double that)
  • Is it DC coupled?
  • What are the actual DNR/THD figures of the whole unit? (123dB/-113dB beeing the specs of the AKM chip)
  • Any measurements to share?
  • Is the DC adapter 220V compatible? Does it have a separate cord (figure of 8 plug) so users from other countries can choose the appropriate power cord?
  • How many watt does the unit dissipate when idling? (adapter included)
Thanks ;)

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Reading about their earlier DAC I think they'd be happy to send the new one out for testing. Geno and Sherrie are US based.

OP
L

Legion1capone

Yes they are based in Florida. It's just Geno and his wife. Awesome people to deal with. They actually started making audio equipment for military personal that couldn't afford good equipment in Florida. So they started making their own products at a good price to sell to them. Bringing hifi audio to people that couldn't normally afford it. At least that's what I got from talking with them. Either way a super cool story, and nothing more american than bringing the love of a hobby to our soldiers that deserve far more!

Reading about their earlier DAC I think they'd be happy to send the new one out for testing. Geno and Sherrie are US based.

OP
L

Legion1capone

I emailed Geshelli Labs earlier with your questions. Sherri got back to me with the following:
FYI they are swamped with orders right now, they hope to hop on and answer any and all questions you may have when they have the time.

>Is the unit completely pop-free when turned on or off, or when spdif sync is acquired/lost?

Yes - when the button is pressed when switching from COAX to TOSLINK, no pop. When starting and stopping audio, no pop. When pulling the (SPDIF) cable's out and plugging it in, no pop. The media player you're using can cause a pop if they’re not handling the pcm data correctly...

>What are the max output levels of the 3 level settings (in Vrms or dBu for 0dBFS) ? Is the XLR output level double that of the RCA one?

1khz sine wave digital input

Setting 0 (highest)
2.88Vpp

Setting 1 (middle)
720mVpp

Setting 2 (lowest)
360mVpp

XLR 3.2Vpp measured on 1 leg (also respects volume settings) - this is helpful for matching up pro audio (mixing boards, etc..)

>Can you explain how does the single button operate (level selection? input selection? on/off? does the led give a feedback?)

If you quickly press the button in and release, it will change the input. The blue LED's inside will blink letting you know.

If you hold the button down for a second or so, it will lower the volume (see above).

>Are all parameters (input and level) memorized when the unit is turned off?
Yes, everything is stored in ee memory.

>Does it simply turn on/off following the DC input?
Yes.

What is the output impedance? (It was a pretty high 600 ohm in the first ENOG DAC, and here it is a balanced output, so potentially double that)

It's a lot lower, I don't have the numbers in front of me, I'm thinking sub 10 ohms.

>Is it DC coupled?
Yes.

>What are the actual DNR/THD figures of the whole unit? (123dB/-113dB beeing the specs of the AKM chip)
We put the AKM DAC figures for those who are interested in what the chip stats are. We have conducted multiple tests using a variety of equipment and we keep running into the "different test equipment-different results" blues. It is great that this site can offer us another testing center, at no cost. Something rare and wonderful in this industry. With the interest on this site, we plan on sending a sample out soon to ASR for testing.

Any measurements to share?
See above.

>Is the DC adapter 220V compatible? Does it have a separate cord (figure of 8 plug) so users from other countries can choose the appropriate power cord?
We ship CUI INC power supplies with our devices. The specs state AC100-220V 50-60hz as input. It is a one-piece supply, so an adapter is needed.

How many watt does the unit dissipate when idling? (adapter included)
1.932watts @ 12v without adapter. We have all DC power supplies in front of us right now, so no measurements with the adapter at this moment.

I just ordered one as well, I wanted a balanced AKM dac to pair with my new THX amp and this is a great price for one. I also picked up a Topping D10 to serve as a USB to Spidf converter. The two together were around 260 shipped to Japan which is a great deal for a balanced dac.

Hope armin gets a chance to measure it.

pos

Forum Donor
>What are the max output levels of the 3 level settings (in Vrms or dBu for 0dBFS) ? Is the XLR output level double that of the RCA one?

1khz sine wave digital input

Setting 0 (highest)
2.88Vpp

Setting 1 (middle)
720mVpp

Setting 2 (lowest)
360mVpp

XLR 3.2Vpp measured on 1 leg (also respects volume settings) - this is helpful for matching up pro audio (mixing boards, etc..)
That is pretty low:
RCA: 2.88Vpp is 1Vrms/2.2dBu
XLR: 3.2Vpp on one leg, so hopefully 6.4Vpp differential, which is around 2.2Vrms/9.3dBu
(it would be nice to have a confirmation that differential voltage is indeed 6.4Vpp)

That is half the voltage (-6dB) we typically see on consumer units, but enough to push eg an hypex nc400 or a THX 789 amp into clipping when using the XLR output.

26dB of amp gain applied to that XLR output will result in around 250W in a 8 ohm load, 32dB of gain will give around 1kW, so still plenty of margin in most situations.
It could be difficult to achieve good DNR figures with such low output levels though.

Last edited:

Wesley

Just bought both the Geshelli Labs Enog2 Pro Dac + Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp for my Argon Mk3. Hopefully it's a match made in heaven.

OP
L

Legion1capone

I'll be curious to know how that amp powers the argons. I have the zmf classics. I've been thinking about that amp.

OP
L

Legion1capone

I recieved my ENOG2 Pro dac this afternoon. Putting some hours through it and then I will share my impressions.

What I can say so far... it's a sexy ass DAC! I love the purple metal case, it really pops with the clear front and back. I love being able to see the circuitry and how the inner led's are not to bright and light up the Geshelli labs logo on the front. Super slick!

resized.jpg

resized 2.jpg

It is a quite cool looking DAC, I went for the black one myself to match my THX 789. Their amp was really cool looking as well with the red.blue or purple LEDs. Purple LEDs should be more common, they look really cool at night.

OP
L

Legion1capone

I'm really liking the form factor of the liquid spark and the enog2 compared to the much larger Aune stack in the picture. Though I won't likely keep them stacked due to the form factor of the enog2. I'll have to figure that out so I can still display it. It's a show piece.

Top Bottom