• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli JNOG Review (Balanced DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 39 18.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 98 46.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 69 32.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

MacCali

Major Contributor
I have no problem with you not liking something, You description is what didn't make much sense to me. If something didn't work with your setup, we offer a return. I looked back through my emails trying to find one that basically said "too bad, so sad, you're out of luck" I couldn't find anything like that so I would like to see your situation.

I would also like to know where you heard Geno didn't choose our designs/DAC chips. Again, that is misinformation and I wrote in to correct it.

If you do not feel the need to write in, that's ok with me. I was just trying to clarify the situation you had as it isn't our norm.
I never said I don’t like the product. If you look way back on this thread I give positive notes on the product.

But not on the customer service. Not sure if it was by email and I think it may have been over the phone.

I asked you isn’t this covered under warranty? And you said no it’s not the product itself. It’s your computer, there’s nothing we can do.

So I said that’s not right cause I paid for the usb. If I want to use what I paid for I have to install that driver. Once that driver is installed my pc isn’t outputting audio via usb. So I can’t use anything else

So anything else I had would not work. I said I feel like you should give me my money back for that.

You said no, and I didn’t ask for a full refund.

I said then you shouldn’t be selling products with additional features you are unsure function, especially on a windows 10 pc.

That’s that.

I get your perspective you do have a point the product ain’t defective but it’s your product and there’s an issue, so I felt like I was left hanging and I bought something extra for no reason. ***That’s why I asked for my money back for the usb***

got nothing against the product when it actually works. Actually definitely enjoyed it but not customer service experience

Geshelli

Audio Company
I never said I don’t like the product. If you look way back on this thread I give positive notes on the product.

But not on the customer service. Not sure if it was by email and I think it may have been over the phone.

I asked you isn’t this covered under warranty? And you said no it’s not the product itself. It’s your computer, there’s nothing we can do.

So I said that’s not right cause I paid for the usb. If I want to use what I paid for I have to install that driver. Once that driver is installed my pc isn’t outputting audio via usb. So I can’t use anything else

So anything else I had would not work. I said I feel like you should give me my money back for that.

You said no, and I didn’t ask for a full refund.

I said then you shouldn’t be selling products with additional features you are unsure function, especially on a windows 10 pc.

That’s that.

I get your perspective you do have a point the product ain’t defective but it’s your product and there’s an issue, so I felt like I was left hanging and I bought something extra for no reason. ***That’s why I asked for my money back for the usb***

got nothing against the product when it actually works. Actually definitely enjoyed it but not customer service experience
Please email in. I have to see the history and the timing. The fact that there is no email to refer to is strange for us. In the end, it's ashame that you walked away with a negative experience. I would really like to figure out what went wrong.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I have no problem with you not liking something, You description is what didn't make much sense to me. If something didn't work with your setup, we offer a return. I looked back through my emails trying to find one that basically said "too bad, so sad, you're out of luck" I couldn't find anything like that so I would like to see your situation.

I would also like to know where you heard Geno didn't choose our designs/DAC chips. Again, that is misinformation and I wrote in to correct it.

If you do not feel the need to write in, that's ok with me. I was just trying to clarify the situation you had as it isn't our norm.
And I mentioned above I know there’s a lot for you to read.

If I got the response that simply oh we’re really sorry about that, we were unaware of the situation. Maybe try another computer and see if it works. All that flowery bs showing hey we are sorry I wouldn’t be here now.

I understand you were confused with the situation as it seems odd.

But what your response is it’s not us, it’s your computer.

You could of taken it a step further, NOT EVEN EXPECTING THIS, and have been like okay we’ll give you back the 50 back. All of this combined would have been outstanding service

Would of been very happy with acknowledgment something was an issue and sorry for the inconvenience. Even if it’s an isolated incident

Swtoby

And I mentioned above I know there’s a lot for you to read.

If I got the response that simply oh we’re really sorry about that, we were unaware of the situation. Maybe try another computer and see if it works. All that flowery bs showing hey we are sorry I wouldn’t be here now.

I understand you were confused with the situation as it seems odd.

But what your response is it’s not us, it’s your computer.

You could of taken it a step further, NOT EVEN EXPECTING THIS, and have been like okay we’ll give you back the 50 back. All of this combined would have been outstanding service

Would of been very happy with acknowledgment something was an issue and sorry for the inconvenience. Even if it’s an isolated incident
In post #100 in this thread you mentioned the USB issue and in post 131 you said you talked to them at the show. Did you mention it to them then? It read like you had a friendly exchange and in neither post did you seem agitated. That's not how you come across now, despite you saying you're not mad. The shift in tone has me scratching my head especially as you had an opportunity to follow up directly.

MacCali

Major Contributor
In post #100 in this thread you mentioned the USB issue and in post 131 you said you talked to them at the show. Did you mention it to them then? It read like you had a friendly exchange and in neither post did you seem agitated. That's not how you come across now, despite you saying you're not mad. The shift in tone has me scratching my head especially as you had an opportunity to follow up directly.
What you want me to say after what’s done is done. Want me to start a scene at the show lol.

What happened can’t be changed. Or was me bringing it up going to have the problem solved, imo it would of just been pointless.

I’m not agitated, you want me to dwell over 50 dollars. It just comes down to the principle. And even then I clearly state now I didn’t want money just a better experience and acknowledgment.

A we’re sorry for the inconvenience wouldn’t hurt either.

But the product itself I’m not saying anything about. It’s my first dac, it’s not bad. But all in all wish I never got the usb in the first place. Just go figure, as with any other device, more inputs are better and you’ll never know if you will ever need it or turn to it. Sounded to me like it was well thought out and a quality usb was implemented.

I had two dacs I was using prior to this purchase which were given to me from the guy who got me into audio in the first place. On a borrowed status

I’m just bringing it back up as this is another issue about the company. But that’s the only bad thing I see rather than what was said.. not here to basically pick them apart on an interview. Even though this product, which is not the one I own, wasn’t so amazing vs old gishelli I got no clue to comment on it. I don’t own it. The one I own which is probably equal isn’t horrible and probably measures plus or minus.

Also any other statements I made are what I heard. I’m not here to make crap up, but I maybe adding fuel to the fire. Clearly I see what my experience was should really give notion about the company rather than the guy isn’t vocal during an interview. Maybe that’s why it comes off that I’m upset and trying to drive this home

bill poster

What you want me to say after what’s done is done. Want me to start a scene at the show lol.

What happened can’t be changed. Or was me bringing it up going to have the problem solved, imo it would of just been pointless.

I’m not agitated, you want me to dwell over 50 dollars. It just comes down to the principle. And even then I clearly state now I didn’t want money just a better experience and acknowledgment.

A we’re sorry for the inconvenience wouldn’t hurt either.

But the product itself I’m not saying anything about. It’s my first dac, it’s not bad. But all in all wish I never got the usb in the first place. Just go figure, as with any other device, more inputs are better and you’ll never know if you will ever need it or turn to it. Sounded to me like it was well thought out and a quality usb was implemented.

I had two dacs I was using prior to this purchase which were given to me from the guy who got me into audio in the first place. On a borrowed status

I’m just bringing it back up as this is another issue about the company. But that’s the only bad thing I see rather than what was said.. not here to basically pick them apart on an interview. Even though this product, which is not the one I own, wasn’t so amazing vs old gishelli I got no clue to comment on it. I don’t own it. The one I own which is probably equal isn’t horrible and probably measures plus or minus.

Also any other statements I made are what I heard. I’m not here to make crap up, but I maybe adding fuel to the fire. Clearly I see what my experience was should really give notion about the company rather than the guy isn’t vocal during an interview. Maybe that’s why it comes off that I’m upset and trying to drive this home
Read this and really can't figure out what the issue is. Just a bit of a moan about what exactly. How is a company supposed to react to this?

MacCali

Major Contributor
Read this and really can't figure out what the issue is. Just a bit of a moan about what exactly. How is a company supposed to react to this?
But no comment on what originally brought up these posts I made. Understood, thanks Bill for your insight

Edit: In case you missed the point it was refund me back the 50 dollars you charged me for a usb I can’t use, that’s all I asked and have stated in my previous posts on here.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Not the companies fault but If he's unhappy with the product he shd have returned it, simples.
I believe you did not read all my posts based on your comments, why would I pay extra for something and then ask the company to give me my money back. Obviously that doesn’t make any sense, clearly there’s more to it than that.

Not trying to revisit this subject as my issue was clearly stated. I did have the option to return the dac, and I didn’t do so because the only issue was something that company overlooked or did not test or was an isolated incident on my behalf. Hopefully it was an isolated incident.

All my posts on this thread would not be here if the end response to my problem from Geshelli was simply I am really sorry to hear about the situation, we were unaware this was an issue, sorry for the inconvenience.

Everything I just mentioned has already been said. I did not get that response from them and received the complete opposite.

My comments started when another person basically made a statement about the owner of the company and this is the issue with them[gish]. The point I was getting across after this users comment was I feel for an American family owned company is customer service is a factor in my experience.

So far of all the comments prior to the one mentioned here. I did not really see any of them an issue greater than this one and that’s my opinion. The other comments may hold more importance to someone else.

Also take into consideration, this is my first very few purchases in audio, this is again my first dac. Did not expect that nor do I think I have ever had an issue with a product and got this type of response from the seller/company.

But just another thing for anyone reading this thread to consider. Wouldn’t be surprised if you experienced the same thing and got on this thread that you would also not mention what happened.

Littlebit

I'm going to say a few things about Geshelli Labs. None of them good. When this small outfit popped up on my radar a couple years ago I decided to read up on the company. I also watched at least one or two interviews with the Geshellis on Youtube. This is where the cringe factor began to materialize. It was this April 2020 sit down interview with Gino and Sherri that set off some red flags for me. During the interview Sherri, who is to my knowledge, not the electrical engineer in this duo dominated the discussion. Gino seemed uncomfortable and provided very little information. This struck me as abnormal. This was Gino's introduction to the community, or at least one introduction, and he was reticent and frankly mute. He let his wife wear the pants. Following that interview I any notion of buying a Geshelli device evaporated.

Now it wasn't just the bad PR presentation and lack of gumption that dissuaded me from buying a device from Geshelli. It was just the straw that broke the camel's back. There were and still are plenty of other red flags with Geshelli. One of them was product case design. Let's be frank here. The Geshelli devices look like homemade projects. They have been making amps and DACs for how many years now? Two, three, four years? And there's been little if any improvement in the design of the enclosures. John Seaber at JDS Labs mentioned in an interview last August that he abandoned the old metal case design for the O2 amp because it was in his words, "ugly". JDS Labs switched over to injection molded plastic enclosures when they introduced the Atom line several years ago and then invested in CNC equipment for the Element line. But here we are in 2022 and Geshelli is basically regurgitating the O2 enclosure design from over a decade ago. Even Schiit manages to obtain more elegance with their budget products.

I'll quickly run through the issues with Geshelli:

• As Amir pointed out in this review Geshelli is resorting to snake oil phraseology to coverup the inadequacy of the DAC implementation. When one of their earlier products manage to rank near the top of Amir's SINAD List Geshelli touted that success to perspective customers. Now, they have conveniently turned into science deniers.
  • Upselling is another problem with Geshelli. They're business model comes across as a bit sleazy. Charging extra for a USB module for a DAC? For an extra $50 no less. This is an essential fueature that should be standard on any modern DAC. Now they're selling wood enclosures. Are they an Ethan Allen subsidiary now? This is the tackiest thing since the shortlived aftermarket "woodie" earcup fad for Sennheiser headphones in the early 2000s.
  • They're always out of stock...not because of demand...not because of the pandemic...but most likely because they can't manage the business or scale it properly.
  • Nearly every product launch is delayed endlessly.
  • The website design is bad. There's little pertinent information on specifications or product functionality.
This is the biggest pile of garbage I have ever read. Sorry dude but you need to go take a chill pill and get some help LMAO.
I don't own any Geshelli products but I wouldn't be opposed to buying them either, just to let you know where I stand. (Totally neutral in this)
If you don't like it them just move along to the next post. Skip over this one. lol
I could go on and explain my opinion about you better but I'm going to leave it here so as not to embarrass you lol.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
This is the biggest pile of garbage I have ever read. Sorry dude but you need to go take a chill pill and get some help LMAO.
I don't own any Geshelli products but I wouldn't be opposed to buying them either, just to let you know where I stand. (Totally neutral in this)
If you don't like it them just move along to the next post. Skip over this one. lol
I could go on and explain my opinion about you better but I'm going to leave it here so as not to embarrass you lol.
I completely agree. There are always people trying to stir crap up.
I finally had the opportunity to meet the team @Geshelli today and honestly they are great. Very friendly people and they had some awesome stuff.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i was about to say... nothing brings out the crazies like a US product that looks a little 'cottage industry'

if these people spend as much time on their own issues rather than put out endless screed on a little family company then they would probably get somewhere

OR... sell all your geshelli stuff and buy some topping smsl tripe...

Top Bottom