• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Archel2 Headphone AMP Review: another champ?

Blur

Forum Donor
Got it rock in’ with the D90 DAC. Had to remember to turn ON the gain as I initially thought there was an XLR/balanced issue. The combo sounds great as designed and intended.

urfaust

I was checking the Archel 2.5 Pro, it seems it can do 1W in high gain with the same specs? (600mw for the Archel 2), besides the addition of XLR.

https://geshelli.com/archel2-5-pro

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Archel 2.5, low gain, 12 o'clock, RCA from an SMSL M500 at 32(ish)/40 vol. My Grado PS1000 sound better than I've ever heard and I've played them through a fair few combos. Clarity and control.

Bravo for £200 or so after shipping and customs to UK.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
anybody compared it against the Atom?

confucius_zero

2020-01-28 12_48_17-Geshelli Labs LLC - Posts.png
2020-01-28 12_49_23-Shut Up And Take My Money_ Geshelli Archel 2.5 Pro Review - TLR Technology.png

https://tlrtechnology.com/2020/01/22/shut-up-and-take-my-money-geshelli-archel-2-5-pro-review/

Hmmm still 1 watt per channel/16ohm... not sure how it will drive stronger than the jds atom....

Tks

Major Contributor
Honestly, with the amount of power something like my 789 spits out, I actually welcome less powerful amps. On the lowest reference level (for most music) that my RME sends to the 789.. I can't even get to 11 oclock on Low Gain without blowing my ears out. This is true of LCD2C's and HD58X and 6XX. Likewise with various IEM's.

I don't understand what the facination with so much power these days is. But then again I don't know much of anything with electronics and this whole talk about "headroom" and about how you can never have enough power due to "peaks" or some stuff like that I hear. With speakers I suppose this makes some sense, with headphones though? Are people really starved of "headroom" in some of these great performing headphone amps?

confucius_zero

Are people really starved of "headroom" in some of these great performing headphone amps?
People used to believe that headroom is useful for strong dynamic shifts that demand more "sudden" power in the driving of an in-efficient transducer. You can read up on Hifiman He1000 or Hifiman Arya which both demand a stupid amount of power and are part of this "power club" of audiophiles.

However, it could be irrelevant nowadays since these modern amps (jds atom etc...) are so efficient and transparent that improving the source immediately improves dynamics (as far as transmission of information goes).

headwhacker

Forum Donor
People used to believe that headroom is useful for strong dynamic shifts that demand more "sudden" power in the driving of an in-efficient transducer. You can read up on Hifiman He1000 or Hifiman Arya which both demand a stupid amount of power and are part of this "power club" of audiophiles.

However, it could be irrelevant nowadays since these modern amps (jds atom etc...) are so efficient and transparent that improving the source immediately improves dynamics (as far as transmission of information goes).
They are audiophile myths. These headphones are not as power hungry as they want you to believe.
Possibly due to HE-6 which is indeed very inefficient and power hungry, being made by Hifiman and a planar dynamic driver, has most audiophile misleadingly recommend high power amplifier.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OMG that is ugly AF!

Maybe it'd be cool if I was still in college and living in a dorm room, saving my bong water for times when I was broke, but no way I'm having that in my living room....
I think that the Geshelli products with the smoked plexiglass front and rear panels and the black aluminum cases are handsome.

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We do purchase cut extruded aluminium. The case design is ours and we own the tool. I (Sherri) drill the screw holes, sandblast, wash, bake and powder coat each case. We have two laser cutters in house for the Plexi. We prefer to do it all in house rather than rely on outside vendors. This also allows us to make custom colors for folks.

Powder coat looks nicer than anodizing in my opinion.

Top Bottom