• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Archel2 Headphone AMP Review: another champ?

Wow that is incredible! Hard to believe that a small start up like that could run circles around massive audio companies!

Glad to see it!

On their website they mentioned "Now that the first cat (Archel2) is out of the bag, there is one remaining."

Wonder if they have matching DAC coming that can do as well in performance?

The ENOG2 was pretty good but would be nice to get a dac that supports USB.

AndrewDavis

A big, big hats off to Gishelli labs!! I love seeing small independents meet and beat the value of large corporate players.

Rodney Jones

I can't think of a use case for another headphone amplifier in my collection but want wins out over need.

Ordered

Congrats to Geshelli on engineering such an outstanding measuring product!!!

Can we expect a new version of the DAC to match with comparable measurements? Perhaps an all in one (with balanced pre outs).

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Headphone Listening Tests
I started with my very low impedance (25 ohm) closed back Drop Mrspeakers Ether CX. In high gain there was plenty of volume to get loud. I was however able to push the Archel2 into distortion and cutting out. Mind you, I would not be listening at this level but this is a test that other high performance amplifiers pass.

Reading this, I'm concerned whether the Archel2 would be able to push my Hifiman HE4XX to loud enough levels (after needing 13.5dB headroom for sub-bass boost EQ to match the Harman target)? As the HE4XX has a low efficiency of 88dB/mW and impedance of 49 ohms.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Reading this, I'm concerned whether the Archel2 would be able to push my Hifiman HE4XX to loud enough levels (after needing 13.5dB headroom for sub-bass boost EQ to match the Harman target)? As the HE4XX has a low efficiency of 88dB/mW and impedance of 49 ohms.

There's probably enough power for it unless you are seriously listening at very loud levels.

But at these performance levels, I think the JDS Atom will serve your needs better.

bequietjk

I just finished building my bottlehead crack so this is going to be some good A/B fun :']

Tks

Major Contributor
There's probably enough power for it unless you are seriously listening at very loud levels.

But at these performance levels, I think the JDS Atom will serve your needs better.

I use an RME and a 789, with my 58X (stopped using my 6XX a while back), I never leave low-gain. I don't know what it is people feel they need with things like High Gain >_<

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I use an RME and a 789, with my 58X (stopped using my 6XX a while back), I never leave low-gain. I don't know what it is people feel they need with things like High Gain >_<

The current draw requirements for low efficiency planars are quite different from high impedance headphones. The 58X is by comparison to the HE4XX a much, much easier headphone to drive comparatively, even compared to the HD6XX.

But do note that the power output from the 789 is quite different from this one here too. Its a fair bit more if you look at the measurements.

headwhacker

Forum Donor
Try the Hifiman HE-6 and you will see why people crave for more powerful amp. Nevertheless, the Archel2 should be adequate for most headphones.

I just put my order btw. I'm thinking of a very simple yet high prformance desktop setup (Android phone -> E1DA 9038D -> Archel2)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
He's talking about power instead of gain. They are very different. If you give enough input in most cases you can get 100% of power from high gain. Gain is just increasing level which does not have anything to do with power. Power is only limited by output capacity of output devices and supply rails

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I suggest two dashboards in the future reviews. No load and 33ohm load.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
This goes to show how much investing in an Audio Precision Analyzer can help during product development.

Well I wish them the best of luck- that APX has to be paid for with a ton of profitable sales...

Clearly, the performance is excellent, but I don't think I've ever seen such an ugly commercial product in my life. Tom's neurochrome looked like jewelry by comparison. But then again, headphone listeners are a funny lot, they seem to have miniature listening spaces, hunched around a computer monitor on a desk, with a stack of disparate mini components, RGB lights and flexiglass covered PCs- all based on the pictures I see here and elsewhere.

Kids these days... :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What would a Blue Velvet do for its existing performance? Probably hardly anything.

Longevity. I have these pots in gear I buit about 30 years ago and still operate like new. Can't say that of gear with cheaper pots.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Longevity. I have these pots in gear I buit about 30 years ago and still operate like new. Can't say that of gear with cheaper pots.

Longevity, lack of noise, quality feel and considerably better gang to gang matching. Physical size may be a problem in this implementation however.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, the potmeter definitely would not allign with the headphone output socket any more.

Top Bottom