• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Archel2 Headphone AMP Review: another champ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a GMR version of the Archel 2. Can someone tell me what GMR is?

Thank you
Revamped archel 2. Better measuring more powerful.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. If one was just going to go unbalanced one would probably choose the Archel 2 GMR then as opposed to the 2.5 correct?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. If one was just going to go unbalanced one would probably choose the Archel 2 GMR then as opposed to the 2.5 correct?
I suppose the counter argument is that Amir didn't ever test the GMR version right? So who knows if it introduced anything worse. Doesn't seem like it would but ...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose the counter argument is that Amir didn't ever test the GMR version right? So who knows if it introduced anything worse. Doesn't seem like it would but ...

I dont know the spec difference between the 2 GMR and the 2.5 but the 2.5 accepts XLR inputs of course. I would be surprised if you could tell the difference between the 2, the 2.5 and the GMR in listening to anything resembling "usual" headphones during playback.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the poster meant, what does "GMR" mean? that it is a revamped version is clear from the description on the Geshelli site.
The site is funny in that depending on how you navigate, you may or may not get a description of the product. I've now spent enough time on the site to know how to get to the descriptions. I've also emailed them with questions but no response in two days.

Last edited:

netcipher

There is a GMR version of the Archel 2. Can someone tell me what GMR is?

Thank you

Archel 2
  • TI 1652 Op Amp Based Design
  • Audio Taper Potentiometer (A100K)
  • Gain Switch (Unity Gain or 4x)
  • 600 mWatt Per Channel @ 16ohms
Archel 2 GMR
  • TI 1656 Op Amp Based Design
  • Alps RK163 Audio Taper Potentiometer (A10K)
  • Gain Switch (Unity Gain or 6x)
  • 1 Watt Per Channel @ 16ohms
https://geshelli.com/archel2-gmr-1
First and foremost, it now runs at a full 1 Watt Per Channel which gives it more power to push those hard to drive headphones. With more power comes more gain, we've pushed it to 6x on high gain mode. Next, we took the opamp and upgraded it to the TI1656. Then comes a redesigned input circuit that gives it a much better distortion vs frequency graph. We changed the pot to an ALPS RK163 for a smoother more balanced experience. Lastly, we now offer a tricolor LED with effects for those out there that love the glow.

Last edited:

MalinYamato

based on your recommendations, I am about to push the order button on a Geshelli Archel2.5X.
I like it as small as possible and I do love very small power bricks or power supplies built-in...
For me, I assume this Gashelli is better than SMSL SH-8S, SMSL SH-9, SMSL P200, Topping L50, SMSL U9, Schiit Magny Hersey, Atom, Zen Can Signature V2, or any in this price around USD 250.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
based on your recommendations, I am about to push the order button on a Geshelli Archel2.5X.
I like it as small as possible and I do love very small power bricks or power supplies built-in...
For me, I assume this Gashelli is better than SMSL SH-8S, SMSL SH-9, SMSL P200, Topping L50, SMSL U9, Schiit Magny Hersey, Atom, Zen Can Signature V2, or any in this price around USD 250.
How did you end up liking it? I just pulled my Archel2 Pro back out of its box to test my SMSL SU-8S, I haven't been using it the past couple years because I just use the THX 789!

Music1969

Major Contributor
A bit pricier than the original pot., only 21 volume levels is not enough, the inside 21 contacts will break faster than the carbon ribbon of a regular pot.
What's a good option for stepped attenuator?

With enough volume levels.

50+ steps or so ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You will need a relay R2R attenuator for that.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I see no reason for using relay attenuators unless one wants to use a remote control or needs very small or calibrated steps and L-R balance in the extreme.

I only use RK27 pots, have been for over 35 years now and all of them work as fine as they did new and never had channel imbalance issues.
Great for volume control, nice feel and build quality and relatively cheap.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I only use RK27 pots, have been for over 35 years now and all of them work as fine as they did new and never had channel imbalance issues.
Great for volume control, nice feel and build quality and relatively cheap.

No channel imbalance issues at any position of the knob? Even 8 o'clock ?

Or needs to get past, say 10 o'clock for optimal channel tracking ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The RK27 are fine. This is because the actual wiper tracks are quite long/large and there is very little 'play' in the wiper so easier to get it right.
In any case they are more than good enough for me.
When one were to measure a few (Amir style) I am sure some will have some deviations in the 'bottom' part of the adjustment range.

The used RK163 series is nowhere near that quality in many aspects.

Music1969

Major Contributor
The RK27 are fine. This is because the actual wiper tracks are quite long/large and there is very little 'play' in the wiper so easier to get it right.
In any case they are more than good enough for me.
When one were to measure a few (Amir style) I am sure some will have some deviations in the 'bottom' part of the adjustment range.

The used RK163 series is nowhere near that quality in many aspects.

Are all RK27's part of the 'Blue Velvet' marketing?

Or certain types of RK27's ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
With 'blue velvet' they mean the RK271 series. They are blue and the volume control is 'smooth' as velvet, as is the 'electrical noise' when adjusting the volume control.
RK271 simply is an affordable high quality potmeter, a bit bigger in size than most other ones and more expensive than the 'standard' lower budget RK163 series.

Of course there is always the RK501 series (but only 50k and 100k)

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
My amp has stopped working. This is the 2nd time this happened. First time it somehow fixed itself. I know it's the amp since I've changed sources and headphones. Pressing the mute button results in an audible click but I have no output.

Top Bottom