• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Archel Pro v/s JDS Atom v/s .....

Noob

Debunker makes an interesting argument. Your point seems to make sense. I do know that in real world use, the r70x requires a very high gain or voltage swing. Mathematically this seems to make less sense the more I look at it. I don't know why this is. They can be listenable at 1-2vrms, as in sound will come out, and it won't sound bad, but it will be quieter than necesary to convey the full dynamic range and the bass frequencies don't seem to register very much untill you have some serious power pushing the drivers. It's a very strange headphone, but it does sound good when driven well.

Rvp1090

I have the same hunch. Also, it's interesting to hear people use descriptors like "punchy", "exciting" and "meaty". When I read that I think, "distortion". The stated THD on the Geshelli site is 0.01%. That is more than an order of magnitude higher than the Atom and means that distortion is 80 dB below the signal. That might be hitting a sweet spot where it's not quite registering as distortion to the listener but is giving the impression that the sound is more impactful than a truly transparent amp like the atom.
/QUOTE]

I bought the archel pro to drive hd6xx and I have a small dac called the fiio q1.
So the reason the archel sounds so good is because of the added distortion? I chose the archel because it's 100$ including shipping and the build seems to be better than the atom. Also are you implying that since the hd6xx is an accurate headphone and is used as a reference amp by many, driving it with the archel pro will result in loss of detail and the headphones sound signature because of the added distortion?

kaylf1016

@Noob What typenumber is on the small DCDC converter (the black square). This will give us a clue of the voltage rails used and the expected max output voltage and which opamps are used ?

EDIT:
It is a 2W +/-15V power supply which is equal to that of the Atom.
so one can expect about the same max output voltage levels with loads above 100 Ohm.

My hunch is that the Geshelli has a higher gain or different taper and is subjectively preferred because of level differences.
The sound difference descriptions perfectly match that of a somewhat 'louder' signal.

This is indeed an interesting theory.

I suppose I had expectations that those I’ve heard from whom preferred the Archel Pro would be “able” to distinguish the property of loudness vs “better” (in whatever various quality was being referred to, respectively)... but perhaps not so and this has now become a consideration in my still to-be-determined purchase of Archel Pro vs Atom.

Thank you for your thoughts!!

OP
Anubhav

Anubhav

Forum Donor
It's been 3+ months since i started this topic. Thanks everyone for chipping in and sharing the views, opinions and suggestions on what the real factor may be.
In these months I have purchased and sold many amps & dacs. My filteration of going through many items, have left me with the below impressive devices :
-Questyle CMA600i
-A tube amp made by local Sydney person named Eric Chanson (McChanson Amps)
-THX AAA789
-Geshelli Stack (DAC+Amp) wt Topping D10
-KHADAS Tone board
(Waiting to pull the trigger on RME ADI 2 DAC and/or OPPO HA-1 as soon as i get a good deal in USED market)

I can now very well judge and more surely say (sold ATOM last week), that Geshelli has something to it that is better than ATOM. My partner has golden ears (she can recognise people from years ago by hearing their voice, creepy!!) .
She is no headphone enthusiast or audiophile, but after 1 hour of blind testing with her, she consistently chose Geshelli over ATOM. What she described in 20 lines, sums up as --> better imaging, clarity with Geshelli compared to ATOM.

I am really hoping that Amir will someday do this comparison & test and give me a closure before I die ;)

Swtoby

It's been 3+ months since i started this topic. Thanks everyone for chipping in and sharing the views, opinions and suggestions on what the real factor may be.
In these months I have purchased and sold many amps & dacs. My filteration of going through many items, have left me with the below impressive devices :
-Questyle CMA600i
-A tube amp made by local Sydney person named Eric Chanson (McChanson Amps)
-THX AAA789
-Geshelli Stack (DAC+Amp) wt Topping D10
-KHADAS Tone board
(Waiting to pull the trigger on RME ADI 2 DAC and/or OPPO HA-1 as soon as i get a good deal in USED market)

I can now very well judge and more surely say (sold ATOM last week), that Geshelli has something to it that is better than ATOM. My partner has golden ears (she can recognise people from years ago by hearing their voice, creepy!!) .
She is no headphone enthusiast or audiophile, but after 1 hour of blind testing with her, she consistently chose Geshelli over ATOM. What she described in 20 lines, sums up as --> better imaging, clarity with Geshelli compared to ATOM.

I am really hoping that Amir will someday do this comparison & test and give me a closure before I die ;)

You even used the trope of the disinterested, golden eared S.O. as proof of a difference. That's awesome. Why do you need Amir's measurements? You've made up your mind. Besides, I doubt they will change your opinion. And that's just fine.

bequietjk

My archel pro should be here tomorrow. Incredibly excited to see how it works with my HD600 and TRP50MKIII!

LMDA1

Forum Donor
He did today test the Geshelli and it seems to me the comparison is not needed any longer ;-) ....Geshelli destroyed the Atom!!!

“Destroyed” is a little far from reality but it did perform extremely well, never mind taking the price into consideration.

Definitely intrigued, too bad their website appears to be down right now.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I have the Geshelli Pro Amp along with ENOG2 DAC.
Also have the JDS Atom.

I know that JDS Atom has received much praise in the forum, but when I compared it against Geshelli, I find Atom to be inferior.
Though, looking at charts/graphs from Amir, that should not be the case.

Headphones I tested it with :

ATH-R70x --- These are demanding HPs. Atom could not power it as easily as Archel, even with Atom's high gain mode
Q701 --- could not figure out much difference, but again Archel was at 11am, and Atom at 1-2pm
NAD HP50 --- More airy with Archel and felt more open.
Fidelio X2HR --- again livelier with Archel
Shure 1540 --- Meatier / juicier detailed with Archel
HE4xx -- didn't test

I know you said originally you didn't test the HE4XX with the Atom, but did you get round to to trying it since that first post? Because I'm wondering if it has enough power to drive them to satisfying levels, as the HE4XX has a very low efficiency of 88 dB/mW and an impedance of 49 ohms.

Top Bottom