• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geoff Martin's (b&o speaker guy) blog

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Some intresting reading .., oh and graphs :D having visited the B&O shop recently I was disappointed to find no Beolab 90 (total flop in the uk , just about all stores got rid of their stock other than Harrods apparently) but some intresting things borrowing from some of that tech are springing up.

Here’s Geoff Martians blog , I’m told he’s responsible for all B&O’s speaker tuning, thought you guys might find some intresting things to discuss from this source..,
http://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
having visited the B&O shop recently I was disappointed to find no Beolab 90 (total flop in the uk , just about all stores got rid of their stock other than Harrods apparently)

Well, what do you expect in a nation raised on anti-Dalek propaganda since birth to hate and fear them?

maxresdefault.jpg

versus

attachment.php

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The best speaker I have heard , I suppose they cost retailers £20-30k which is a sizeable investment.
Keith

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The best speaker I have heard , I suppose they cost retailers £20-30k which is a sizeable investment.
Keith
They are available for around £55000 now, I thought they started out at £80000?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNIB-201...-Loudspeaker-Pair-Priced-ex-VAT-/381870190953 Wow lol
Am taking a trip to harrods early January, want to audition them and the Devialet phantoms. The other offerings from B&O left me underwhelmed but they look real fancy.
Mum was all set to splash £3000 on a minimum setup of these ( 5 units) but they sound terrible.
52875E7E-1F11-47B4-B801-A84C5C9F5717.jpeg

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
They are available for around £55000 now, I thought they started out at £80000?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNIB-201...-Loudspeaker-Pair-Priced-ex-VAT-/381870190953 Wow lol
Am taking a trip to harrods early January, want to audition them and the Devialet phantoms. The other offerings from B&O left me underwhelmed but they look real fancy.
Mum was all set to splash £3000 on a minimum setup of these ( 5 units) but they sound terrible.
View attachment 9680

Is that wall art a speaker?

Also, why are you listening to hi fi in a department store like Harrod's?

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I think they were around £50k ish then went up to a nominal £61k, a friend bought a pair from the Exeter shop ( I believe ) who were keen to sell for £37k.
Keith

Jungstar

I heard the Beolab 90s the other day. I just heard one song.
Wow.... they are big and very detailed. Base packs a serious punch (each has 1 x 13" + 2 x 10" woofers) for the lower base.
It is like a concert wall of moving sound in your living room, but with really really good sound.
I would say they are 15-20 times better than my $1000 2.1 system.

If I had the time, I would try and build something myself, but maybe the Beolab 50. All drivers from Scanspeak are listed.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
If I had the time, I would try and build something myself, but maybe the Beolab 50. All drivers from Scanspeak are listed.
Drivers and box are the easy parts.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Kal, if I dare to ask:
Are these (the 90's) the best speakers you ever had installed in your listening room..?
Tough call but it is certainly among the contenders.

Top Bottom