• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genuinely hilarious comedy

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Heartwarming" and "makes me laugh" can be very different things, so I'm guessing that you don't want to watch "Zombieland" or "Life of Brian" right now.

Although not a comedy, here's a full-length movie which I found surprisingly not-depressing considering it's subject matter (prison life). Be warned that there are some food-movie elements which may make you hungry. It's based on a autobiographical manga, English title is "Doing Time". It seems that when incarcerated in Japanese prisons, even the silliest, most trivial matters take on great importance.

kiwifi

"Not Going Out" with Lee Mack

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Recently ran across this little gem from a Kimmel interview and a few other videos where others confirmed how this is one of their favorites (like Howie Mandel), but I just ran into it and haven't but taken tastes from some film and related videos....but as Kimmel said at the time it was the lowest rated film Comedy Central had offered....while some background info going in might be good, who knows....

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Airplane, and Airplane 2. I would put the Zucker brothers up there with Mel Brooks and Monty Python in terms of sheer volume of site gags, jokes, and laughs per minute.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Airplane, and Airplane 2. I would put the Zucker brothers up there with Mel Brooks and Monty Python in terms of sheer volume of site gags, jokes, and laughs per minute.
I used to do a lot of work with the LA film festival (FILMEX)....got to see the first Airplane in the academy theater. Awesome stuff. Good old days like Blazing Saddles before that, breaking a lot of "rules".

JSmith

Master Contributor
I'm glad Faulty Towers was the first comedy show mentioned here... I could not type enough words to express how much I love Faulty Towers. :)

These two movies are absolute gold as well;

56f7b441304c52fb93cf776960148aff_XL.jpg

p6751_p_v8_ak.jpg

JSmith

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I don't consider myself that old (51) but I now realize that the things I found funny does not seem to appeal to younger audiences. e.g. when my friend had his movie night, he tried to introduce the three Monty Python movies (Life of Brian, The Holy Grail, and The Meaning of Life) to his children (aged 21, 18, and 15). None of them found it funny and they got bored! I also came across a comment on FB that Fawlty Towers was "racist, sexist, and deeply problematic". Whatever.

I am a huge fan of British comedy. Here are some of my favourites:

- Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister
- Fawlty Towers (as mentioned)
- Monty Python
- Little Britain
- Anything with Peter Sellers in it

Mike Myers in Austin Powers was hilarious as well. But that might be because of his fake British accent :D

I also love black comedy, and the French are great at it. Man Bites Dog and Delicatessen are hilarious movies. "Man Bites Dog" is a documentary style movie about a film crew following a serial killer as he goes about his work. They establish rapport with him and eventually become complicit. This is a scene from that movie. The guy with the neck collar is the serial killer (Benoit) and the guy with the beard is the director of the film crew:

Scrappy

A great triple-feature of political comedy films would be My Fellow Americans, Bob Roberts, and Wag the Dog. Love me some political movies and flicks made in the 90s.

Elkerton

I don't know how many times I've re-watched the original, British, ensemble cast of Death at a Funeral, and despite the luke-warm reviews, it continues to be one of my daughter's and my favourite movies of all time. We laugh every time, and I rarely re-watch a film.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As well as Father Ted - I think some of the other similar Channel 4 (in the UK) comedies are brilliant, like the IT Crowd or Black Books.

If you have anything to do with the software or IT industry the IT Crowd especially came be very funny e.g. here are a few clips from one episode (about the Internet):

And this is from later on in the same Episode:

Last edited:

darthe

Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
Yes and Yes, in fact anything Mel Brooks, 12 Chairs, History of the World, Producers

Would throw in Take the Money and Run, Blues Brothers, and the Airplane 1 & 2 (kings of slapstick)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I've been thinking really hard about this thread.

I shall offer four specific episodes of three great US sitcoms and one great British... umm... I'm not quite sure what you'd call it.
These are some of my all time favorites.

The Dick Van Dyke Show "It May Look Like a Walnut".
The Mary Tyler Moore Show "Chuckles Bites the Dust".
WKRP in Cincinnati "Turkeys Away"
Red Dwarf "White Hole"

I can offer easy access to the first one gratis.

Bits and pieces of the other three are easy to find, as well.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
As well as Father Ted - I think some of the other similar Channel 4 (in the UK) comedies are brilliant, like the IT Crowd or Black Books.

+1 on those two.

Sometimes I can't help ending a conversations with an awkward smile and going " .....I'm disabled" :D

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
images

I liked this movie. It got only 6.5 stars on IMDb. But, I think it's worth your time. Mouse Hunt.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared

Top Bottom