• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genuinely hilarious comedy

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Following this scene he tries to help the queen up but hits her head againts the table…

I miss the old comedies, where anything goes, rude, explicit, no matter what your skin colour was, you will be made fun of.

Nowadays it’s all so polite, so safe.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Don't forget Ernie Kovacs and (more recently, at least in the great scheme of things) Carol Burnett.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
The Dick Van Dyke Show "It May Look Like a Walnut".

A young fellow walks into a talent agent's office and says he wants to break into show-biz, so the agent says "O.K. kid show me what you do". The kid tells some jokes, does a little soft shoe, sings a bit, does an acrobatic act with an ottoman, and is good enough to impress the agent.

"Great kid! Just great!" says the agent "I can do things for ya! I think I can get you a show on T.V." (This was the early sixties.) "By the way, what's your name?"

The young man, proud and excited, exclaims "P*nis Van Lesbian".

"'Scuse me?" questions the agent.

"My name is P*nis Van Lesbian" again replies the young man.

"Hey I'm sorry kid, you're gonna have to change your name, nobody is gonna hire you with a name like P*nis Van Lesbian."

Well the young man is crestfallen but steadfastly refuses to change his name, so he leaves to find another agent.

A few months later he returns to the same agent. "Hey kid! Good to see ya again!" says the agent, "Are ya still looking for work? Have ya changed your name?"

With his head hanging low the young man replies "Yes. Every agent in town turned me down because of my name, P*nis Van Lesbian. So I've changed it".

"Great kid, great! What's your new name?"

"Dick Van Dyke."

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Old? You mean like Bob Hope, Milton Berle, Red Skelton, Jack Benny, George Burns and Gracie Allen, Jackie Gleason and Jerry Lewis? Gee, you must be younger than I am. :cool:

Jim
Old as in 50. Old as in 80s and 90s when I liked movies more.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
English comedy gold for me , ( disclaimer it may not have aged well , but I think so ).

Anything John Cleese or python as mentioned .
But you all forget .

The young ones .

Black adder .

:)

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
It doesn't get any better than Pete 'n' Dud as Derek and Clive ...

spigot

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - a TV series by the author, dream weaver, visionary plus actor. Thought to be lost, but discovered in a vault in Peru, Garth introduces each episode of terror with a short reading from one of his interminable novels.

For sketch comedy, the first 2 seasons of A Bit of Fry & Laurie are pretty great.

JSmith

Master Contributor

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two from Bent Hamer.

Kitchen Stories:

O'Horten:

rgpit

Forum Donor
47086795.jpg

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You need to appreciate a touch of the macabre and bizarre (a Takashi Miike specialty!) to enjoy Happiness of the Katakuris, but I'll bet you haven't seen anything like it recently:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And then there's the movies of Stephen Chow!

Shaolin Soccer

Kung Fu Hustle

Journey to the West

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Sound of Your Heart (series)
Heartwarming? You decide.

Bleib

Major Contributor

Top Bottom