• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genuinely hilarious comedy

concorde1

What are the comedies that warm your heart and make you laugh?

For me I find very few comedies actually funny.

The one that never fails to impress is the series Fawlty Towers. It is a must watch for anyone who has a sense of humour. I own it on Blu-ray as for some reason it's not on iTunes.

I actually find the 3 Johnny English movies extremely funny, although it was more so at a younger age. They can be a bit silly, but at the least good for children I think. And some adults!

I seek more comedy for times of despair.

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning

The one that never fails to impress is the series Fawlty Towers. It is a must watch for anyone who has a sense of humour. I own it on Blu-ray as for some reason it's not on iTunes.

I actually find the 3 Johnny English movies extremely funny, although it was more so at a younger age. They can be a bit silly, but at the least good for children I think. And some adults!

Fawlty Towers is the greatest Brit sitcom. It's still amazing many decades after it was made. Brilliant characters who are like people we've encountered, some appalling, some appealing, in situations we all understand and then it's all stretched so possibility and reality become absurd and you can't see the join. And they did the right thing: made two series of brilliant TV, 6 episodes each, and stopped. They never made a weak episode, never disappointed a viewer.

julian_hughes

Other great brit comedy series: Hi-de-Hi! Gladys Pugh simmers, pouts and yearns like a golden age Hollywood starlet and every moment is entertaining.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The film that launched Sean Penn, Fast Times at Ridgemont High. A funny look at Southern California 90s 80s youth and a great look at Phoebe Cates you'll ... (I'll) never forget.
220px-Fast_Times_at_Ridgemont_High_film_poster.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The film that launched Sean Penn, Fast Times at Ridgemont High. A funny look at Southern California 90s youth and a great look at Phoebe Gates you'll ... (I'll) never forget.
220px-Fast_Times_at_Ridgemont_High_film_poster.jpg
70s (or very early 80s) youth, surely?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

You'd might like the old Jacques Tati movies. Mr. Hulot's Holiday (Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot), My Uncle (Mon oncle), Playtime and Trafik (Trafic).

I'm also really fond of the swedish movies Sällskapsresan and Sällskapsresan II.

The TV series The Good Place is really, really good too.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'd might like the old Jacques Tati movies. Mr. Hulot's Holiday (Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot), My Uncle (Mon oncle), Playtime and Trafik (Trafic).

I'm also really fond of the swedish movies Sällskapsresan and Sällskapsresan II.

Will look into Mr Hulot... Heard a lot about it..
I

The Good Place occupies a unique place in TV: A sitcom, yes, a sitcom, whose main material is deep and advanced Philosophy and on top of that :
1) Manages to be a hit
2) Manages to make PHILOSPHY looks cool and, yes, useful.

Wow.
One of the two shows series, I have watch more than once. (The second is IMHO, one of the best Sci-Fi series of all time: The Expanse).

Peace.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No one does it better than Buster Keaton

julian_hughes

I saw L'Ecole des Facteurs & Jour de Fete in a *very* smoky little cinema with corrugated iron roof in Brittany about 45 years ago. I was about 10 years old with a little French language but these films are visual, there is very little dialogue and what is there is simple and obvious. It was fantastically funny! Finally about 10 or 15 years ago it got a high quality DVD release in France and I was able to buy it on the French Amazon site and get it shipped to UK. It's still brilliant. Genuinely timeless. These days it's available on Amazon UK & US and even on Prime. L'Ecole des Facteurs is a gem, a real piece of magic. It's a pre-war short and after the war they made Jour de Fete which is kind of the longer form culmination of the idea whereas the earlier short is mostly the visual gags. Until you've seen Jacques Tati in a rural postman's uniform complete with satchel dancing in a bar after a quick snifter then you haven't lived!

Top Bottom