• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Generator Soundproofing... actually silencing.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
Long post.:

I have a 10 KW generator reasonably silent 75 dbA at 1 meter. It is mounted on some elastomeric stuff used for industrial machinery in a soundproofed shed resulting in 60 dBA at 2 meters... The house is about 10 meters from it, I don't worry about noise or vibrations from this system. It unfortunately is under repair and will be out of commission for at least 3 months or more. The supply chain problems are real, people! Meanwhile we have less than 4 hours a week, I repeat a week, of commercial AC o_O. Yes! I have solar but it doesn't run my AC ( yet) ...

I thus bought this smaller, Silent diesel generator, 5000 Watts, thus can run my AC and is clealry marked "silent" ...

ULDGRS511.jpg

It says "silent" on the casing and it is enclosed in a nice red metal casing. It is padded inside and ... is very cheap for the amount of power. I took the chance and it would be used in a vacation home or the office when the other generator is done with the repairs/overhaul. When it came, I was able to run my AC charge my batteries, etc ... while this generator was providing 3000 watts and belching out 105 dBA at 2 meters, measured it. There is no place in the shed for this "silent Diesel generator"... The darn thing is noisy and can only made enemies of my neighbors who were up to its installation, the friendliest people ..ever :).

I want to soundproof it. I am willing to work on it and properly put soundproofing material that would remove a good 30dB or more dB from it. The material currently in it, is a simple heat resistant foam with clearly no density and no soundproofing ability. I don't want it to cost me a lot budget is <$200. I just want to silent it. A goal of getting it down to 75 dBA at one meter. I have access to mechanics tools and skilled technicians.

What do you recommend people?
Would a small car muffler in addition with soundproofing material inside the acse help? Which one?
What material to use to soundproof it? What is available on Amazon?
Help!

No Peace. Too much noise... :(

Attachments

• 1648548024301.png
    1648548024301.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
OP
F

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange .. Found a post on my e-mail client, from Jim Taylor that doesn't appear here...
It seems to be the exhaust noise. Whatever whine or diesel injector knocks noise, is swamped by the exhaust noise. I plan to use a car muffler on it... I wanted to know which material to use to replace the current . flimsy and clearly inefficient lining.

IMG-0030.jpg

IMG-0031.jpg

I believe it can be made to be more silent. Google is returning a lsew of advertising. The main reason why I post it here.

A bit of ranting. Google is pushing the enveloppe of tolerance when it comes to searching. Most any search seems to results in a mountain of advertisement...

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Sell the Diesel. Buy a Prius.

Its SUPER quiet.
And cheaper.

1649786625247.png

Stacks-of-pallets.jpg

1649786949245.png

pallet-compost-bin.jpg

Shove insulation between pallets.

Go to Junkyard. Or Find an abandoned car. Get this:
258-500_1.jpg
This is your new intake/ Air filter.

Your new exhaust. The water is soothing and calming. The Exhaust will push enough water to make something close to this but way smaller.
b1d5e7b4-c4be-4d48-abef-eb5cc7fd7ac6_1.3ef1b60ac0fbb22597c0485d03b2ab83.jpeg

Make one of these out of Plastic bottles. It will be under water so its not going to melt.
2inLiquidEductorLabels2-1024x454.png

Use these as "FEET" for the genny. Your rubber noise isolation mounts.
1649787994428.png

When your all done? Cover it up with this:
1649788215245.png

If that's not going to work?

PLAN B.

shopping
Get about 4 of these. Your going to make a Band pass box out of foam.

Line the inside with Fiberglass. Make room for cooling air.

Your frame is going to be made out of PVC pipe.
PVCCage1.jpg

Make the Frame first. Then Glue, zip tie the Foam. Do some math in Box calc, and tune it to the lowest it can in this shape to fit your genny.
The image bellow is sort of what it will look like inside. But placing it on dirt will be even quieter as it will absorb a lot of the vibration.

18448d1380423911-running-generator-shed-image.jpg

lyteCache.php

You are still under $200 bucks. And your genny is now quiet.

Make sure you leave vents for cooling, or add a small fan if needed.

Loathecliff

The OP has gone silent.
Have the neighbours solved the noise problems?

OP
F

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I thought I answered clealry I didn't. I want to thank you all. I soundproofed the current shed. Used Polyshield inside of he relatively small 2.2 x 2 x 1.8 meters shack, Used also an exhaust fan, put a small motorcycle muffler on the exhaust (didn't help much) and I have my peace... The neighbors too :). Using a different generator that is a bit less noisy but the shack would have worked the same...

Thanks to you all

Peace

Top Bottom