• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelic 8330 vs Revel M16 and Buckeye amp.

Steveysteve

Debating between these two set-ups for a medium room. They both amount to around $1500. Am I right in thinking that the Revel combo would be better for medium/farfield listening, while 5e Genelecs would be better for nearfield listening?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Debating between these two set-ups for a medium room. They both amount to around $1500. Am I right in thinking that the Revel combo would be better for medium/farfield listening, while 5e Genelecs would be better for nearfield listening?
You are certainly correct that optimization for shorter versus farther listening distance is one criterion that applies to these speakers. Genelec fans will also point to active DSP crossover and biamping as advantages of Genelec. I'd get the Hypex/Revel combo myself, but I wouldn't want to make a scientific case for doing so. They are both great speakers. I don't have any serious active speakers, but a lot of members say they will never return to passive. I prefer more traditional cabinetry and I like to mix and match, but maybe I'll try some Focal Sole Be actives at some point.

Top Bottom