• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelecs for home audio?

ManFromKerala

Greetings ASR!

Long time lurker, from Kerala, India.

First of all, deep respect for Amir & Co - for what you are doing.

I had a simple question:
Is it possible to use the Genelec speakers for home audio? [Budget 2000USD]
I wish to listen far field (say 3 to 4 meters) away in a room that is 30 feet by 20 feet.

They are marketed as Studio Monitors. I always had this question if Studio Monitors can be used for far field listening in a home set up.

Cheers
PS: Here is a tiny peep into music from our part of the world. A video song.
This is not a representative audio of the our kind of music, but it is fun!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, you can. Just need to select the right monitor for your environment. Genelec has a nice resource detailing this:

.. Oh, and welcome!

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You surely can. I am extremely happy with mine, I use for both 2.1 desktop and in my 5.2 setup.

I do not agree with some views that there is a difference between professional gear and domestic gear in terms of them somehow sounding different. You may also hear some people will tell you they are "too accurate" whatever that is supposed to mean.

My desktop I listen nearfield, my HT I about 3m away from the further speaker in any seating location.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Does your room has or you intent to treat it acoustically?

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And the room size is no small,needs some serious air-pushing to wake up.

Yes, agreed I missed your budget sorry. You would probably want something like the 8340s or 8350s with a sub at 4 meters. Not sure how much they are in India but you wouldn't get much change from 6k here in Australia for that (just for the monitors, no sub).

Last edited:

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
This is more like mid or far field, so cost will be well above your budget.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Studio monitors are perfectly fine for an average home setup. When they say nearfield or midfield, they mean for an audio professional to get the desired spl and performance in the listening position, etc etc For home use with no pretension to build a "perfect" system, you can perfectly omit those adjectives IMO.

Edit: If want a high spl in your big room, then perhaps 2000 USD may not be enough. I have a pair of 8030 is a much smaller room, about 5 x 3 meters, and I can't possibly play them at full volume.

OP
M

ManFromKerala

I don't listen to ear bleeding levels really. Just wanted to make sure that the SPL is not anaemic. For egs the JBL 305 II, cant really carry bass if I sit a few meters away. At max volume too, the SPL is not good enough

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't listen to ear bleeding levels really. Just wanted to make sure that the SPL is not anaemic. For egs the JBL 305 II, cant really carry bass if I sit a few meters away. At max volume too, the SPL is not good enough
Perhaps with this budget, as other's have said, with a passive set up you can get better SPL, loosing a bit of performance. But I'm not an expert, perhaps someone can help you to calculate the SPL at your distance from speaker specs assuming an average room.

However, you simply can't get perfection for 2000 USD from 4 meters! So there will always be a compromise.

OP
M

ManFromKerala

Might be better to go passive at that budget, like Sierra-LX, Polk R200, used KEF R3.

The Sierras are not available in India.
3000$ or below
Passive
Revel F35/36, Revel M108, Wharfdale Linton, Polk 200, Kef R3, JBL L82 et al are available.

Active:
Genelec 8040B / G4

Perhaps with this budget, as other's have said, with a passive set up you can get better SPL, loosing a bit of performance. But I'm not an expert, perhaps someone can help you to calculate the SPL at your distance from speaker specs assuming an average room.

However, you simply can't get perfection for 2000 USD from 4 meters! So there will always be a compromise.

Noted: Revising to 3000 USD :)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You can get very good sound with a budget of $2,000.oo or $3,000.00, with a Listening Positon 4 meters from the speakers. I am not sure it will come from Genelec if you are buying it new. That is the blunt truth.
There are solutions for this budget, These would not be from new Genelec or Neuman models.

This article from Genelec will help you have a better idea.

How To Select The Correct Monitors

Edit: I re-read your original post. The room is substantial. IMHO for this room size and listening distance, you are looking at seriously-not-cheap Genelec models .. upward of $10,000.oo a pair ...

Peace.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
I had a simple question:
Is it possible to use the Genelec speakers for home audio? [Budget 2000USD]
I wish to listen far field (say 3 to 4 meters) away in a room that is 30 feet by 20 feet.

They are marketed as Studio Monitors. I always had this question if Studio Monitors can be used for far field listening in a home set up.

Of course, they even made a YouTube video about it !

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Noted: Revising to 3000 USD :)
Or try second hand. You'll usually get very well-kept Genelecs that will still last a lifetime.

$2000 should get you into the territory of a second-hand pair of 8050B's.

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
The issue is actually finding used Genelec. You could very much be waiting years, and I can't imagine they are any more frequent in India as they are in other areas despite the higher population. Over 3k you are in brand new Neumann KH 310/150 territory which I think I'd prefer over a non-coaxial Genelec.

Top Bottom