• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelecs for home audio?

OP
M

ManFromKerala

Genelec is polarising :), that much I have understood.

I shall try to get a sense of SPL and then start from there. Thank you all.
I will report back with what I ended up with finally

Cheers

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I shall try to get a sense of SPL and then start from there. Thank you all.
If you already have a current system, install some SPL measurement apps on your phone. They are not perfect but give a rough estimate. On an iPhone, the measurements should be more accurate on average, because the limited range of models makes it easier to calibrate them.

Just look at what levels you're comfortable will, what you find loud. Also, try various types of music. Now the values these apps show are usually averages. You'll need to add 10 to 15 dB to get to the maximum SPL you'd like your speakers to have at your listening position.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Go to St. Marks road in Bangalore and audition then. One of 4 genelec experience centers in the world. When I heard the prices I felt like having a business to save on VAT would be very helpful.

Your jaw will drop when you hear them.

Danaxus

Is it practical to use non-SAM Genelecs (i.e. the 80XX series), as surrounds? If so, the OP could find an older pair of Genelecs (maybe even the 8020's for < $500), see how they hold up as his mains, and if they don't, he can relegate them to side or rear surrounds (where they'd be pretty kick-ass!).

The only thing is, I don't know if it's possible to remote control their volume, or manage their volume through the AVR. Anyone here have any insights into this?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
or manage their volume through the AVR. Anyone here have any insights into this?
The Avr would need line outs, preferably balanced.

NeoZs99

The issue is actually finding used Genelec. You could very much be waiting years, and I can't imagine they are any more frequent in India as they are in other areas despite the higher population. Over 3k you are in brand new Neumann KH 310/150 territory which I think I'd prefer over a non-coaxial Genelec.
I second this. Try the Neumann KH310 maybe..?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it practical to use non-SAM Genelecs (i.e. the 80XX series), as surrounds? If so, the OP could find an older pair of Genelecs (maybe even the 8020's for < $500), see how they hold up as his mains, and if they don't, he can relegate them to side or rear surrounds (where they'd be pretty kick-ass!).

The only thing is, I don't know if it's possible to remote control their volume, or manage their volume through the AVR. Anyone here have any insights into this?
I used my 8010s with an apogee duet which can control volume. Finding one used should be easy especially the last generation one.

Top Bottom