• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec with external subwoofer

Kervel

Forum Donor
Hi All,

I own a pair of Genelec 8350a, and was thinking of adding a subwoofer. The Genelec subs are quite expensive, and frankly not very attractive in a living room.

I connect the genelecs digitally, using a source with AES-EBU signal to speaker A, which then has a digital-thru connection to speaker B (AES carries both channels). Has anyone tried to connect a dac+sub to the digital thru of speaker B? I'm hoping to use GLM to high-pass the speakers, and then find a sub with DSP for the lowpass and room correction.

Anyone has tried this? Any ideas are much appreciated!

OP
K

Kervel

Forum Donor
Lol, I just realize volume control won't work... I use the Genelec remote with GLM, but it would not change the subwoofer volume. So yeah...

Reactions: CMB
Hi,
I strongly recommend you take a look at Minidsp SHD line of preamp/Dac/processor.
You can use the extraordinary Dsp functions of it to integrate your sub (s) to your Mains.

Reactions: CMB

nerdoldnerdith

I've researched this quite a bit. There is no solution other than using a Genelec subwoofer or an external crossover. I currently use a MiniDSP 10x10HD to cross over my Genelecs to subs. You could also just use the bass management in a receiver and only correct the response of your subs if you want to use GLM for the monitors.

OP
K

Kervel

Forum Donor
Thanks; MiniDSP seems to be the only reasonable alternative; perhaps the new digital Flex fits best. Having two DSP capable devices in my system bothers me more than it should. Would have preferred to stay all genelec, but price wise it just doesnt make sense.

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Lol, I just realize volume control won't work... I use the Genelec remote with GLM, but it would not change the subwoofer volume. So yeah...
How are you changing the volume? With the volume dial or remote? Also, do you have to have all devices linked up via Ethernet cable for it work?

OP
K

Kervel

Forum Donor
How are you changing the volume? With the volume dial or remote? Also, do you have to have all devices linked up via Ethernet cable for it work?
The GLM adapter is connected to both speakers over ethernet, and the Genelec remote then adjusts volume. The volume gets attenuated inside each devices dac, while keeping the digital signal from source to speakers at original scale.

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So in my case, if was to buy 2 x 7350A subs, I would have to run and AES to each one aswel as an ethernet cable for it to all work?

OP
K

Kervel

Forum Donor
So in my case, if was to buy 2 x 7350A subs, I would have to run and AES to each one aswel as an ethernet cable for it to all work?
[/QUOTE/]
Right; both AES and ethernet cables are all daisy chained

Top Bottom