• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec W371A + The Ones : My quest for the Grail is over

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very true but the Genelec monitors suitable for mid range and "main monitor" duties, the only ones I would consider for my use at home, are not available in such nice looking finishes as ATCs, and one can, and should, listen to see if the benefits are worthwhile in your own situation.
At least the ME-Geithian speakers are available in a range of veneers and without handles if you want to use them at home, and several are suitable for domestic listening distances.

I'm starting to think 8361 + W371(complimentary mode) is the closest thing to a good multisub system possible with just 2 speakers. Not sure what is required for "main monitor" duties. They won't do 130dB like Genelec's ultimate main monitor., but I'm guessing they can do ~120dB or a little more than that. MEG is super interesting to me, and I agree about the veneers. Unfortunately, really difficult to get where I am.

galanakop

Final price 19500 for 8351b / w371 here in Greece without VAT. What do you say ??? Also what AES / EBU cables do you have to suggest guys ???

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Ones that are fit for purpose, from a ‘pro’ manufacturer such as Mogami etc.
Regarding the Genelecs they have the capability of offering you the most transparent sound you will hear outside of a properly ( rockwool in every direction) treated room .
Versatility, ease of use weigh heavily in their favour, you will have to learn to use GLm and there will inevitably be some degree of trial and error.
Keith

Tovarich007

Gotcha! I'm thinking that due to the way complimentary mode works, the 8361 in vertical mode should give the best results. The highest and lowest woofers are ~65"(165cm) apart.

Also the stronger woofers should be able to accommodate a lower crossover point if that's what works best for the room.

Only vertical position was tested at our listening test at the Chopin Center not because it was supposed better as you mention it (no idea about that), but only for easier manipulation of the big 8361 who was quickly placed atop the bass module for the last 15 mn of the session.

In fact, in vertical position atop the W 371, the acoustic center of the 8361 coax is quite high, I'm not sure at all that's the optimal setting.

Anyhow, in my opinion, the listening test has been way too short to conclude anything serious about the best combination (8351 B vs. 8361 and vertical vs. horizontal). I guess it all depends on a lot of factors :

- objectives ones : dimensions and acoustics of the room, listening distance, height listening distance, SPL)
- subjectives ones : listening and musical preferences.

galanakop

Only vertical position was tested at our listening test at the Chopin Center not because it was supposed better as you mention it (no idea about that), but only for easier manipulation of the big 8361 who was quickly placed atop the bass module for the last 15 mn of the session.

In fact, in vertical position atop the W 371, the acoustic center of the 8361 coax is quite high, I'm not sure at all that's the optimal setting.

Anyhow, in my opinion, the listening test has been way too short to conclude anything serious about the best combination (8351 B vs. 8361 and vertical vs. horizontal). I guess it all depends on a lot of factors :

- objectives ones : dimensions and acoustics of the room, listening distance, height listening distance, SPL)
What sources did the speakers play in the test that took place?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Final price 19500 for 8351b / w371 here in Greece without VAT. What do you say ??? Also what AES / EBU cables do you have to suggest guys ???
How much are the 8351B only without tax in Greece? Thanks

galanakop

Attachments

• 20210522_140503.jpg
    20210522_140503.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 187

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

for cables, it doesn’t matter. I use cheap cordial microphone cables. You can buy bulk cables too: cheaper and thats easy to do: https://www.cordial-cables.com/en/products/cmd for ex.
19k is the standard price and I do not think you can negotiate a lot if you only buy that.

OP
B

Bernard 54

Forum Donor

8361A coaxial height on W371A: 1.4m https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=14198680&postcount=67
Angle correction possible by ISO-PODs: 10 to 12 ° https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=14199318&postcount=71
Tg 11°x 3.2m = 0.62m.
The axis of 8361A at 3.2m is therefore at 1.4-0.62 = 0.78m
Conclusion: there is no listening problem in a sofa at this distance where the listening height is rather at 0.85m.
You can even choose a relaxed position ...

galanakop

8361A coaxial height on W371A: 1.4m https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=14198680&postcount=67
Angle correction possible by ISO-PODs: 10 to 12 ° https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=14199318&postcount=71
Tg 11°x 3.2m = 0.62m.
The axis of 8361A at 3.2m is therefore at 1.4-0.62 = 0.78m
Conclusion: there is no listening problem in a sofa at this distance where the listening height is rather at 0.85m.
You can even choose a relaxed position ...
Thank you very much. The side position is ideal for the 8361. Even for the 8351 I would say, but vertical will not be a big problem

OP
B

Bernard 54

Forum Donor
Gotcha! I'm thinking that due to the way complimentary mode works, the 8361 in vertical mode should give the best results. The highest and lowest woofers are ~65"(165cm) apart. Also the stronger woofers should be able to accommodate a lower crossover point if that's what works best for the room.
By rereading this post from Ilka https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=14218127&postcount=119, I find exactly the differences that I encountered between the 8351B and the 8361A

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or you could just buy them for me as a gift instead of mocking someone who really wants them but can't really afford them at the moment.

Sorry. I didn´t follow your journey for a while and the last time i read about it money doesn´t seem to be a limiting factor. I did not mean to mock someone because of this, of course, and i apologize.

Tovarich007

Thank you very much. The side position is ideal for the 8361. Even for the 8351 I would say, but vertical will not be a big problem

Only if you tilt down slightly the speaker or listen at 3 m or plus. We were too close (between 2 and 2,5 m).

By rereading this post from Ilka https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=14218127&postcount=119, I find exactly the differences that I encountered between the 8351B and the 8361A

Everyone hears differently. As we exchanged after our listening test at the Centre Chopin , my own impression was different after this too short and not real time nor level aligned comparison. Frankly I can't judge the differences between the two combos.

I'm certain the 8361 without the W371 can go lower and louder than the 51 B alone, but with the W31 A, which combo sounds better (if ever one sounds eventually better than the other) I can't tell. The price tag of the bigger 61 isn't substancially higher than the 51 B (now 600 € on Thomann and you can probably negociate less), so dear Bernard, if you have the budget and you prefer the 61, go for it without hesitation.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDK
Top Bottom