• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec W371A + The Ones : My quest for the Grail is over

Bernard 54

Forum Donor
Good evening everyone

After many listenings for 2 years, B&W, Paradigm, Tad, Revel, Focal ... my quest for the musical Grail is finally over.
I had the great pleasure of being able to attend yesterday the first (a first 8351B W371A duo has already been installed in France in September 2020 by LARKA from HCFR) calibration in France of an 8361A + W371A set at the Chopin Center with David and Gilles from Audio-Technica the importer.
IMG_8603 (4).jpg
What can I tell you.
The magic of listening to different modern and classical music: HANS ZIMMER, YOU SUN NAH, MAXWELL, HERBIE HANCOCK, BACH ...
Shivers ... just think about it
A musical emotion that none of us had ever encountered ...

Only one conclusion .... Genelec for life ... looking forward to receiving the 8351B + W971A duo which is optimized for this configuration.

Once again, thank you to Amir and to all the members of ASR who accompanied me in my process.

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good evening everyone

After many listenings for 2 years, B&W, Paradigm, Tad, Revel, Focal ... my quest for the musical Grail is finally over.
I had the great pleasure of being able to attend yesterday the first calibration in France of an 8361A + W371A set at the Chopin Center with David and Gilles from Audio-Technica the importer.
View attachment 128573
What can I tell you.
The magic of listening to different modern and classical music: HANS ZIMMER, YOU SUN NAH, MAXWELL, HERBIE HANCOCK, BACH ...

Only one conclusion .... Genelec for life ... looking forward to receiving the 8351B + W971A duo which is optimized for this configuration.

Once again, thank you to Amir and to all the members of ASR who accompanied me in my process.

This is my endgame. Probably one of the best systems there is. It's like the Kii 3 + BXT, but even better. I'd really love to see NFS measurements of both together.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are they suitable for home listening? The tweeter seems very high.
You have options. If you are at 4m+ no issue. You don’t need to put the ones on top of the w371, that also can help with the room mode. You can also tilt the one on top a bit. I am on a console so higher thann on a sofa so no real experience.
I did listen to them in the leaving room a few days and I don’t remember an issue After calibration.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have options. If you are at 4m+ no issue. You don’t need to put the ones on top of the w371, that also can help with the room mode. You can also tilt the one on top a bit. I am on a console so higher thann on a sofa so no real experience.
I did listen to them in the leaving room a few days and I don’t remember an issue After calibration.

I've wondered about putting the monitors to the side of the tower for my center channel(so it doesn't block the TV). Is there an issue with doing that?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s an ugly set visually imo, but I believe you 110% this is The End Game Audio Setup.

Yeah, I actually find the monitors quite attractive (especially in white), but I wish the W371 blended better with the monitor aesthetic. It ends up being a fully sculpted top on a completely rectangular bottom.

pierre

Forum Donor
I've wondered about putting the monitors to the side of the tower for my center channel(so it doesn't block the TV). Is there an issue with doing that?
I don’t think so. GLM will take care of it. Are you planning to buy 3 w371?

pierre

Forum Donor
Not anytime soon, but yes, eventually.

What about putting the monitors directly in front of the W371?

maybe. The back wave from the one will mess up with the woofer, it may work, I would ask Genelec support. Why not put a S360 for a center channel? Plus a sub if you really have a large room?

OP
B

Bernard 54

Forum Donor
OP
B

Bernard 54

Forum Donor
My living room, dining room is 17 + 10 m2.
My listening area will be 3m from the speakers, ie 1m more than at the Chopin Center in Paris.
According to all the feedback read on ASR and GEARLUTZ, this is not a problem. The W371A + 8351B duo (which will be installed horizontally) can manage larger rooms. Ditto for the tweeter (which will be positioned lower than the 8361A).

Frgirard

Major Contributor
My living room, dining room is 17 + 10 m2.
My listening area will be 3m from the speakers, ie 1m more than at the Chopin Center in Paris.
According to all the feedback read on ASR and GEARLUTZ, this is not a problem. The W371A + 8351B duo (which will be installed horizontally) can manage larger rooms. Ditto for the tweeter (which will be positioned lower than the 8361A).

it's a problem.

Did you prefer listen your room or your speakers ? the acoustics issues are not a spl issue

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
A set of 8351b costs a lot of money, but is in reach for many of us, but the subs…

Anyway, congrats on this endgame setup!

Pennyless Audiophile

Good evening everyone

I had the great pleasure of being able to attend yesterday the first calibration in France of an 8361A + W371A set at the Chopin Center with David and Gilles from Audio-Technica the importer.
View attachment 128573
What can I tell you.

Are you inviting us for the wedding?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Well tweeter height with any Ones doesn't matter for tonality. It matters in terms of where you perceive the sound coming from, but that's not necessarily bad. It can sound more realistic to have the image somewhat elevated.

Quite a few floorstanders have high tweeters as well. The Revel Salon 2 tweeter is 49.5". W371A+horizontal 8351B is about 50", so hardly that unusual really. In fact I even suspect it may be one of the things people associate with a "bigger" sound.

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Well tweeter height with any Ones doesn't matter for tonality. It matters in terms of where you perceive the sound coming from, but that's not necessarily bad. It can sound more realistic to have the image somewhat elevated.

Quite a few floorstanders have high tweeters as well. The Revel Salon 2 tweeter is 49.5". W371A+horizontal 8351B is about 50", so hardly that unusual really.

the ears must be at the height to the acoustical axis of the speaker or the acoustical axis oriented towards the head the axis crossing slightly behind the head

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the ears must be at the height to the acoustical axis of the speaker or the acoustical axis oriented towards the head the axis crossing slightly behind the head

Says who?

To be clear, the traditional reason for tweeter height being narrowly restricted is because normal loudspeaker designs have absolutely terrible vertical directivity. This isn't an issue with a near-perfect coaxial. All of these Genelecs sound absolutely identical regardless of your ear height. I know, I own them, they sound exactly the same whether you are lying on the ground, standing up, or sitting down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom