• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec W371A + The Ones : My quest for the Grail is over

lherrm

Ordered the 8361 and W371 in January… still waiting ! ETA end of October…
Ordered W371A and 8351B (in white) in January too, they were delivered in august.
8351B is currently available on Thomann whereas there were weeks of delay until last month, so I guess things are getting better.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today I learned that $0.97 buys a euro. Okay now I’m going to jump on the pricing bandwagon. The USA prices need to be adjusted. We already were paying more through dealers. Now it’s gotten beyond ridiculous.

The W371 is closer to $6000 in Europe now? We have to pay 50% more?

Come on. It’s time for a currency adjustment on these.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkt

poxymoron

Today I learned that $0.97 buys a euro. Okay now I going to jump on proving bandwagon. The USA prices need to be adjusted. We already were paying more through dealers. Now it’s gotten beyond ridiculous.

The W371 is closer to $6000 in Europe now? We have to pay 50% more?

Come on. It’s time for a currency adjustment on these.
It works both ways, us Europeans are penalised when we look to purchase US kit. Subwoofers in particular. And, if I'm not mistaken, the $4000 Dan Clark Expanse is close to €5000 in Europe.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It works both ways, us Europeans are penalised when we look to purchase US kit. Subwoofers in particular. And, if I'm not mistaken, the $4000 Dan Clark Expanse is close to €5000 in Europe.
Yeah but I don’t want US kit. Europeans are owning this decade and really at the forefront now. Besides VAT is between you and your governments. We too have about 8-10% on top of the $9000 which you don’t see mentioned often.

Both sides dealers want a cut. I was okay paying that for local service. But the currencies have moved drastically.

Anyway it’s just ranting I don’t know if they sell to dealers here at a Euro denominated price and the dealers pop champagne bottles or Genelec sells to them at a dollar denominated price and captures the extra.

Last edited:

poxymoron

Yeah but I don’t want US kit. Europeans are owning this decade and really at the forefront now. Besides VAT is between your and governments. We too have about 8-10% on top of the $9000 which you don’t see mentioned often.
No, I get that, and I wasn't arguing with you, just saying it's frustrating on both sides.

poxymoron

Agreed. For me it's a subwoofer issue and I get that transporting a large heavy subwoofer costs money but what's the excuse for a set of headphones? There is none.

Edit: This is the world we're in. Thankfully for us it's first world problems. I bought a tin of paint for €50 last week, might have been €30 six months ago. The following day when I bought another tin it had gone up by €2.50 a tin. Agents, suppliers, retailers, dealers can pretty much charge whatever they want now.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. For me it's a subwoofer issue and I get that transporting a large heavy subwoofer costs money but what's the excuse for a set of headphones? There is none.
I have to admit it’s always been bad in Europe. I mean everything . PS5, Nvidia card, LG TV, Apple products all inflated. I always assumed it was your higher labor costs to maintain distribution, service and support.

poxymoron

I have to admit it’s always been bad in Europe. I mean everything . PS5, Nvidia card, LG TV, Apple products all inflated. I always assumed it was your higher labor costs to maintain distribution, service and support.
For sure. I'm in Ireland and as far as I know a lot Neumann speakers and Sennheiser headphones are made here, or were made here up until recently, but that's no help when we go to buy them.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I realized some things about the Genelec ecosystem from some experience.

Given the cost difference between 8351b and 8361a just better to get the 8361a. It’s probably the only one which can handle domestic listening distances. The Genelec monitor choosing document actually lists the 8351b as having 1dB lower long term SPL than the 8341a which is woefully inadequate for domestic listening.

Please verify this yourself: https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors

Also the ratio of direct/reflected sound at a given distance is better with the 8361a.

We can get into things like “but they have the same mid/tweeter” style arguments but for some reason the 8361a has far higher SPL according to Genelec. Both short term and long term.

We have to consider that this could be simply better cooling from nearly double the mass and massive volume difference. Who knows why. In any case enough people have given listening impressions of the differences they heard and felt.

The other thing about Genelec bass pricing is pretty much calculated using driver area. You can do the math on 7360, 7370, 7380 driver area and price. It adds up. Even the W371 adds up. It is basically slightly lower than a 7370 + 7380 in both driver area and price.

I have also realized that while my listening space is 18x18ft if we include the kitchen space then it more like 18x35ft. Ceiling = 9 feet. This is a large volume.

If you want tactile bass you need to fill the whole volume. I have 2 x 7360 which are simply not cutting it.

There is nice controlled deep bass but it’s not tactile and when I request more of it, the subs tend to clip and go into protection.

So I may need either 2 x 7360 or 1 x 7380 more.

EDIT: I have played with the crossovers between my 8341 and 7360 x 2. Definitely the bass is less flabby at 75Hz than at 100Hz. Also I can see clearly that subs get more headroom in GLM (use the setting that shows the headroom). This also lowers the headroom on the 8341s. Instead of just going into protection as they did before when the mid/tweeter was struggling I can see now the woofer system is also struggling and it just clips instead going into protection. These experiments are good to know what the limits are also to figure out the right crossover frequency. For me personally I would not use these subs at 100Hz. It robs them of power and also they don’t seem to be too happy playing there. I don’t know if I am hearing cone resonance at around 80Hz and how my room is influencing that. I bet the W371 would be more happy at those frequencies. If not the 8361a should be happy doing it. With room treatments I found a good spot for the right monitor but the left one has a dip at 75Hz so I had to raise the crossover on that side to 90Hz. I would rather not but i’m waiting on more room treatments and hopefully I can find an ideal spot for the left monitor and crossover at 60Hz.

Now however you calculate this it is $10k worth of subs.

So $18k isn’t exactly a huge stretch. You also get the multi sub tricks for free in complementary mode.

Now you may say that the W371 doesn’t go as deep but your room will provide extension. Even my 8341s go to 19Hz according to the GRADE report. The 7360s go down to 14Hz in my room.

Still I suppose one would want a 7380 to handle below 60Hz.

Now that I have 2 x 7360 I don’t know what to do. Maybe just add 2 x W371. However I have treated my room extensively and have smooth response from 100-300Hz so I feel I have solved SBIR.

Having said that it wouldn’t surprise me if 2 x W371 sound even better. You just don’t know until you try it. Every upgrade has yielded better sound even coming from a point of not understanding how it could sound better.

Now I do wish that GLM would let those of with 2-4 Genelec subs do some of those multi sub tricks with our 2-4 expensive Genelec subs.

I might not need the SBIR relieving modes or floor steering. The only ones I find interesting are the continued directivity and complimentary modes.

Considering I have handled SBIR with room treatments which are also expensive- i’m at $4k - which then makes the W371a pair reasonable. Because in theory they could replace the $10k of sub I need plus the $4k in treatments. This would be priceless for someone who wants this in a living room instead of a dedicated space.

Having said that nothing replaces proper room treatments. Having heard the difference as panels kept coming in. Now I have 35+ panels.

So really i’m not sure what to do. In audio chasing end game system I suppose one would eventually want it all. The 8361 plus W371 plus 2-4 subs under 60Hz. Each device is specifically designed for the frequency range it operates in.

I wonder if the W371 can act in complement to whatever Genelec subs we already have. When will that functionality come to GLM? People with and without W371 will benefit from it.

I guess that would make a 6 way system if one has the W371s. If not it would be a 4 way but if GLM would tune each crossover independently and let each sub and main handle the range it would be best for then it could be in theory 4-7 ways with overlap as needed for perfect energization of a space with sub 100Hz frequencies.

One could even use continued directivity mode down to 60Hz and 4 subs in actual different places in the room to get smooth sub 60Hz. That would be true end game. Like one and done. I suppose the W371 can be 4 subs in complementary mode but with a controlled distance within each pair of woofer.

What if one wanted both continued directivity down to 60Hz and multi sub below that?

GLM can offer a lot more for all users.

Another EDIT: For end game chasers the Genelec system is deceptively inexpensive. You’ll get the $6000 8341s and find 90% of heaven. But that last 10% is very costly. You will want to chase it once you hear the 8341 by themselves. If you have a small space just get them and enjoy. If you need to relax on a couch be very careful to not underspec. It will cost you more in the long run. For most living room spaces you will have to budget $10k 8361 + $5.3 - 10.8k of subs. You may even end up at $10k + $10.8k + $18k for the whole shebang. So the cost of scaling up is very high. It may be better to resign yourself to a desktop setup. Even still I would consider 8361 just in case.

EDIT3: also consider that the 8361 + W371 will put the tweeter height at approximately 55”. Using horizontal placement might take it down to 50” at best. Yes everyone keeps reminding me of the tilting capabilities. That is nice. However, the perceived image will still come from that height. Which in my case would be the top edge of the TV. I don’t think I would mount the 8361 on top of the W371. Alternatively I would have to build a platform for my sofa and build it such that it does not resonate. Then I could raise the TV (which is on a mantelmount) and keep the image near the center of the TV and my eye level. Does the calibration for this system allow for different placement of the W371? I assume it does using acoustic calculations in GLM based on what the microphone is reading.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I realized some things about the Genelec ecosystem from some experience.

Given the cost difference between 8351b and 8361a just better to get the 8361a. It’s probably the only one which can handle domestic listening distances. The Genelec monitor choosing document actually lists the 8351b as having 1dB lower long term SPL than the 8341a which is woefully inadequate for domestic listening.

Also the ratio of direct/reflected sound at a given distance is better with the 8361a.

We can get into things like “but they have the same mid/tweeter” style arguments but for some reason the 8361a has far higher SPL according to Genelec. Both short term and long term.

We have to consider that this could be simply better cooling from nearly double the mass and massive volume difference. Who knows why. In any case enough people have given listening impressions of the differences they heard and felt.

The other thing about Genelec bass pricing is pretty much calculated using driver area. You can do the math on 7360, 7370, 7380 driver area and price. It adds up. Even the W371 adds up. It is basically slightly lower than a 7370 + 7380 in both driver area and price.

I have also realized that while my listening space is 18x18ft if we include the kitchen space then it more like 18x35ft. This is a large volume.

If you want tactile bass you need to fill the whole volume. I have 2 x 7360 which are simply not cutting it.

There is nice controlled deep bass but it’s not tactile and when I request more of it, the subs tend to clip and go into protection.

So I may need either 2 x 7360 or 1 x 7380 more.

Now however you calculate this it is $10k worth of subs.

So $18k isn’t exactly a huge stretch. You also get the multi sub tricks for free in complementary mode.

Now you may say that the W371 doesn’t go as deep but your room will provide extension. Even my 8341s go to 19Hz according to the GRADE report. The 7360s go down to 14Hz in my room.

Still I suppose one would want a 7380 to handle below 60Hz.

Now that I have 2 x 7360 I don’t know what to do. Maybe just add 2 x W371. However I have treated my room extensively and have smooth response from 100-300Hz so I feel I have solved SBIR.

Having said that it wouldn’t surprise me if 2 x W371 sound even better. You just don’t know until you try it. Every upgrade has yielded better sound even coming from a point of not understanding how it could sound better.

Now I do wish that GLM would let those of with 2-4 Genelec subs do some of those multi sub tricks with our 2-4 expensive Genelec subs.

I might need the SBIR relieving modes or floor steering. The only ones I find interesting are the continued directivity and complimentary modes.

Considering I have handled SBIR with room treatments which are also expensive- i’m at $4k - which then makes the W371a pair reasonable. Because in theory they could replace the $10k of sub I need plus the $4k in treatments. This would be priceless for someone who wants this in a living room instead of a dedicated space.

Having said that nothing replaces proper room treatments. Having heard the difference as panels kept coming in. Now I have 35+ panels.

So really i’m not sure what to do. In audio chasing end game system I suppose one would eventually want it all. The 8361 plus W371 plus 2-4 subs under 60Hz. Each device is specifically designed for the frequency range it operates in.

I wonder if the W371 can act in complement to whatever Genelec subs we already have. When will that functionality come to GLM? People with and without W371 will benefit from it.

I guess that would make a 6 way system if one has the W371s. If not it would be a 4 way but if GLM would tune each crossover independently and let each sub and main handle the range it would be best for then it could be in theory 4-7 ways with overlap as needed for perfect energization of a space with sub 100Hz frequencies.

One could even use continued directivity mode down to 60Hz and 4 subs in actual different places in the room to get smooth sub 60Hz. That would be true end game. Like one and done. I suppose the W371 can be 4 subs in complementary mode but with a controlled distance within each pair of woofer.

What if one wanted both continued directivity down to 60Hz and multi sub below that?

GLM can offer a lot more for all users.
Screenshot_20221017_085628.jpg
Screenshot_20221017_085836.jpg

It is weird the 8361 has more SPL Because their amps and drivers are the same (except the woofer of course)
Anyways you could also consider the 1237/8 that should be much more powerful

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 237540View attachment 237541
It is weird the 8361 has more SPL Because their amps and drivers are the same (except the woofer of course)
Anyways you could also consider the 1237/8 that should be much more powerful
I noticed that temperature will limit the system quite a bit. If the system reads 52C it limits a lot more than if it reads 45C. These are toy temperatures for those of us who build PCs and don’t care if the CPU hits 90C anymore. They are all designed for it.

YSC

Major Contributor
I noticed that temperature will limit the system quite a bit. If the system reads 52C it limits a lot more than if it reads 45C. These are toy temperatures for those of us who build PCs and don’t care if the CPU hits 90C anymore. They are all designed for it.
CPU or GPU is different than electrolytic caps and voice coil, not sure how long have you been in PC, 20 odd years ago when Pentium 4 and AMD athlon crank to 1Ghz mark, normal temp should be around 40-50 degrees, it will literally fry itself approaching "frying egg" temp of 7x degrees.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
CPU or GPU is different than electrolytic caps and voice coil, not sure how long have you been in PC, 20 odd years ago when Pentium 4 and AMD athlon crank to 1Ghz mark, normal temp should be around 40-50 degrees, it will literally fry itself approaching "frying egg" temp of 7x degrees.
Yes I understand that. Hard to say what exactly the temperature measurement is reading. Is it the ambient inside the case or is it the active element in the amplifiers. Clearly the former. When I touch the case it doesn’t feel like 52c so it’s hard to say what exactly it’s measuring.

I did not overclock my P4 as it was in a Dell. Horrible CPU. A believe I had the Williamette core. Total junk. It got crazy hot and had low IPC. If I remember correctly a 1.5Ghz sample of one would be outperformed by a P3 733Mhz. It also had that ridiculous RAMBUS memory. So expensive and so much latency.

Of course crazy hot of those days is nothing compared to today. These new 13900K can saturate a 360mm AIO cooler easily. They don’t even throttle until past 100C.

Last edited:

Piatnik

Forum Donor
Ok… I received the 8361 last week and the W371 this week, after 10 months of waiting.

Testing the 8361 alone, I was wondering what the W371 would add… but they add everything.

It’s incredible.

71627B3A-0C8B-43E4-90A5-C654D33F3A4F.jpeg

The Sabrina are left behind, in the dust. The new woofers are larger than the whole Wilson Sabrina. Now I have a new reference…

I can hear a grand piano in the room and feel the double bass as if it was in the room, moving some air to my stomach.

After a calibration and some testing with different music genre, I shelved down everything higher than 100 Hz -6 dB to get the LF to my taste, and at a level I feel more natural. Otherwise, the room correction is amazing.

I am curious to know how others have fine tuned their setup. The possibilities are now infinite. If someone have a better proposal than my EQ settings, I would be happy to compare.

Long live Genelec !

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok… I received the 8361 last week and the W371 this week, after 10 months of waiting.

Testing the 8361 alone, I was wondering what the W371 would add… but they add everything.

It’s incredible.

View attachment 244445

The Sabrina are left behind, in the dust. The new woofers are larger than the whole Wilson Sabrina. Now I have a new reference…

I can hear a grand piano in the room and feel the double bass as if it was in the room, moving some air to my stomach.

After a calibration and some testing with different music genre, I shelved down everything higher than 100 Hz -6 dB to get the LF to my taste, and at a level I feel more natural. Otherwise, the room correction is amazing.

I am curious to know how others have fine tuned their setup. The possibilities are now infinite. If someone have a better proposal than my EQ settings, I would be happy to compare.

Long live Genelec !
You’ve settled it for me. I’m going to horizontal placement. Looks amazing.

Any difficulties with changing the orientation? I heard about stuck screws etc.

Also the 8361 came with some spare isopod brackets. Do I need to use those?

I’ll let you know in 2 weeks about fine tuning hopefully.

Please keep us apprised of your findings.

Congratulations!

Piatnik

Forum Donor
You’ve settled it for me. I’m going to horizontal placement. Looks amazing.

Any difficulties with changing the orientation? I heard about stuck screws etc.

Also the 8361 came with some spare isopod brackets. Do I need to use those?

I’ll let you know in 2 weeks about fine tuning hopefully.

Please keep us apprised of your findings.

Congratulations!
I set them vertically at first, but it was looking so tall… after two days, I switched them horizontally and I really prefer this way, visually.

You will have to switch the bracket, but it’s really easy to do. Hardest part is to handle the speaker. I did the change with the speaker upside down on a sofa. About the screws, you just use the same and you don’t go too hard on the tightening. Reading the same as you, I was cautious with the screws, but I guess that the person who screwed up ;-) was too hard or used the wrong tool.

If you kept the nylon handle, as I did, you will have to change one screw position to keep the handle functional.

7C94D5FE-EEBF-406A-9BA7-9511E63639A8.jpeg

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I set them vertically at first, but it was looking so tall… after two days, I switched them horizontally and I really prefer this way, visually.

You will have to switch the bracket, but it’s really easy to do. Hardest part is to handle the speaker. I did the change with the speaker upside down on a sofa. About the screws, you just use the same and you don’t go too hard on the tightening. Reading the same as you, I was cautious with the screws, but I guess that the person who screwed up ;-) was too hard or used the wrong tool.

If you kept the nylon handle, as I did, you will have to change one screw position to keep the handle functional.

View attachment 244449
Thank you so much!

Now I know why they included the extra bracket.

I’m going to do the same. Just clear out the sofa and place it there.

Oh yes I want to keep that nylon strap functional. Otherwise it’s nearly impossible to move or even handle the unit. Minimum diffraction is great but impossible to get a hold anywhere on it.

I’ll be super careful though. A mistake here would be a nightmare to fix.

Top Bottom