• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec W371A + The Ones : My quest for the Grail is over

AdamQ

Great set up. How does monitors + W371 compare to the monitors along? (PS are the monitors 8361 or 8351?)
Thanks mate. It’s been a long work in progress.
I have the 8361a model sitting on top of the W371a’s

I have to say, probably like a few folks on this forum I though the W371 angular design was an odd choice to sit with the curves of the 83XX series.

I also though that the 8361 might likely be too big and look out of place on top of a W371a. As you can see I have the horizontally orientated on top and I have totally changed my view - I think they look amazing.

Re the sound, I also was finding it hard to imagine how much better the 8361’s could sound but holy hell, paired with the W371a it is like a wall of sound. I cannot overstate how much power and clarity there is coming from this set up. It’s truly divine.

I honestly have been pinching myself every day since they arrived, that I have the good fortune to have this set up at home.

If you ever have the chance to hear this set up be warned, you will feel compelled to do whatever you can to own a set.

Attachments

• 62730195-D906-4823-8F0C-E4525D3D8715.jpeg
    62730195-D906-4823-8F0C-E4525D3D8715.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 484
  • BABE6F2D-9978-4D87-A11B-81412F9C7F6C.jpeg
    BABE6F2D-9978-4D87-A11B-81412F9C7F6C.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 456

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

I have to say, probably like a few folks on this forum I though the W371 angular design was an odd choice to sit with the curves of the 83XX series.

I also though that the 8361 might likely be too big and look out of place on top of a W371a. As you can see I have the horizontally orientated on top and I have totally changed my view - I think they look amazing.

Re the sound, I also was finding it hard to imagine how much better the 8361’s could sound but holy hell, paired with the W371a it is like a wall of sound. I cannot overstate how much power and clarity there is coming from this set up. It’s truly divine.

I honestly have been pinching myself every day since they arrived, that I have the good fortune to have this set up at home.

If you ever have the chance to hear this set up be warned, you will feel compelled to do whatever you can to own a set.
Everthing in the photo is stunning.
Just a quick question
Were you worried about that whole "wrinkled" driver stuff?
Have you compared 1237 to 8361? Thanks

lherrm

Just a quick question
Have you compared 1237 to 8361? Thanks
Pearljam you forgot to ask if he also worried about the metallic resonance when tapping on it, the bass furring sound through the ports, and the fact the driver's material is paper.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Pearljam you forgot to ask if he also worried about the metallic resonance when tapping on it, the bass furring sound through the ports, and the fact the driver's material is paper.
I'm trying to live in denial and not to worry about all of the above;)

AdamQ

Just a quick question
Have you compared 1237 to 8361?
I’ve got two kids so yes it’s a concern but they’re pretty good around my hifi stuff. I made my youngest 6year old pinkie promise to never, ever touch the drivers. If she does she understands she’ll be looking at a lifetime ban of the iPad

I didn’t compare to the 1237 - the aesthetic alone wouldn’t have passed the wife approval test and my understanding is that for home listening 8361 is a better fit.

AdamQ

So you haven’t heard or “tapped” an 8361 in the flesh then I take it?

lherrm

So you haven’t heard or “tapped” an 8361 in the flesh then I take it?
Nope, I haven't. I bought the 8351B blind because I'm quite confident this is not an issue.
You may have not understood my party joking/provocative answer to @Pearljam5000 but the "wrinkled driver" stuff has been debated over and over, with official answer from Genelec. But yet it keeps coming back.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Nope, I haven't. I bought the 8351B blind because I'm quite confident this is not an issue.
You may have not understood my party joking/provocative answer to @Pearljam5000 but the "wrinkled driver" stuff has been debated over and over, with official answer from Genelec. But yet it keeps coming back.
I didn't have the heart to tell him I was talking about something else, so thanks ;)
Btw i trust Genelec but it's just hard psychologically to see those "wrinkles" and not worry

AdamQ

I didn't have the heart to tell him I was talking about something else, so thanks ;)
Btw i trust Genelec but it's just hard psychologically to see those "wrinkles" and not worry
Ha ha ha… Ah ok, yes sorry I’m not across “wrinkled driver-gate” (clearly!). I’ll stand by my original response though, I’m still
more concerned with my 6 year old damaging them

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha ha ha… Ah ok, yes sorry I’m not across “wrinkled driver-gate” (clearly!). I’ll stand by my original response though, I’m still
more concerned with my 6 year old damaging them
The tweeter has a grille and the midrange is pretty tough. You can probably damage it if you poke it with a chopstick or something but I think that's more or less what it would take. Poking it with a finger won't hurt it.

onion

Damn - now I'm making enquiries with UK retailers about this!

jhenderson0107

Ordered a pair of W371As today for my theater.

1656543832600.png

I am currently running 8361As for L, C, R, Lrs, Rrs and 8351Bs for Ls, Rs. I intend to reposition the 8351Bs atop the W371As for L, R then move the 8361As to Ls, Rs. According to tech support at Genelec, the W371s will cross at ~200-300 Hz, so there's little reason to prefer the 8361As over the 8351Bs for L/R duty. But if that proves false, I can rearrange.

I intend to relegate the three RS1 subs to LFE only during movie playback. They will remain fallow for music.

Piatnik

Forum Donor

View attachment 215635

I am currently running 8361As for L, C, R, Lrs, Rrs and 8351Bs for Ls, Rs. I intend to reposition the 8351Bs atop the W371As for L, R then move the 8361As to Ls, Rs. According to tech support at Genelec, the W371s will cross at ~200-300 Hz, so there's little reason to prefer the 8361As over the 8351Bs for L/R duty. But if that proves false, I can rearrange.

I intend to relegate the three RS1 subs to LFE only during movie playback. They will remain fallow for music.

I ordered a pair of W371 in March. ETA to Montreal, Canada is mid-October. What a wait. My built from order German car came faster than this.

Did you got an ETA ?

jhenderson0107

Genelec USA claimed yesterday to have a pair in-stock for immediate shipment. So, I ordered them through a local dealer today. Hoping for - but not expecting - a delivery in July.

Piatnik

Forum Donor

View attachment 215635

I ordered a pair of W371
Genelec USA claimed yesterday to have a pair in-stock for immediate shipment. So, I ordered them through a local dealer today. Hoping for - but not expecting - a delivery in July.
ok. I guess you have ordered the black ones, seeing your setup. Maybe the white ones are less popular.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning

View attachment 215635

How are you handling the sub crossover and the multichannel signals? It all looks great.

jhenderson0107

How are you handling the sub crossover and the multichannel signals? It all looks great.
A Trinnov Altitude 16 preprocessor provides surround decoding. One of its output channel drives a Minidsp Flex, which sources three RS1 subs and some Buttkicker LFEs in my couch. I used MSO to optimize the subwoofer response below 75 Hz:
1656563304290.png

Currently, the RS1's crossover to the 8361s at 40 Hz and the 8351s at 50 Hz. But when the W371's arrive, I'm planning to omit the RS1's from the Music profile (they'll be dormant for music). By contrast, the Movie profile will direct LFE to the RS1 subs.

Last edited:

changster

m 2 cents:

We tend to see crossovers as brickwall filters. That is they stop abruptly and cut-off all frequencies beyond the crossover point. We seldom mention the type and the slope... a 200 Hz 6 dB/Octave high-pass filter means that at 400 Hz, it is still playing but only 6 dB down ...I don't know how the GLM works, the speakers being DSP driven, I would assume that there are a variety of crossovers type and slope available. As well as delays, phase and other parameters ...
ASR has shown that one doesn't need to spend crazy amount of money to reach good to excellent results. True, but at this point in technology, the absolute best tend to cost more, until it trickles down or until the competition catches up and forces price and cost down. The balance is what are you willing and able to spend, to enjoy best sound , in the here and now. IME this Genelec combo represents an objective uber audio system and at a good price. It could be that my perspective has been irremediably screwed by my too long stay within the High End Audio community where you can find a fuse for $2800 ... a Yes! FUSE.:(
So if a person is willing and able to shell out the serious total of $28,300 (speakers + subs + $299 GLM including microphone) for this objectively SOTA speaker SYSTEM (Full range 2-channel speaker system. Amplifiers, DAC, and Digital Room Correction.), I would say: Go for it! Some knowledgeable people may be able to simulate this combo for less but if they were to sell you their solution, not gift it to you, it would likely cost the same... or more. And performance will not be guaranteed...
Would love Amir to get his hands on this .. Although given Genelec proclivity to honest measurements... I have no doubt the combo performs as advertised. That is a high bar.

Peace.

My Rockport speakers alone in 2008-ish cost $50k. This full system is dirt cheap in my opinion.

Top Bottom