• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec to streamer connections

Tahoe

Hi all,

After collecting community feedback and reviewing too many spinoramas, talking to genelec, I've elected to build a stereo system with two Genelec 8361a's and a GLM kit.

Now my question focuses on how to connect the speakers to my streamer to optimize quality. I intend to use a Yamaha WXC-50, in player mode. The unit offers optical digital, coaxial digital, and analog RCA outputs. The Genelecs have an analog or digital XLR input.

Is there an ideal way to connect these units? Also, some sources suggest the WXC-50 caps the output bitrate... Would I better off scrapping the unit and going with the bluesound node or another streamer? I own the streamer already, so the difference would have to be significant.

Thanks!! Much appreciate the expertise of this community.

lennyanders

I have my Genelec's connected to a Bluesound Node with a simple coaxial to XLR AES/EBU cable. That should work perfectly fine with your Yamaha device too. I control the volume of the Genelec speakers with the Genelec remote. If you can control the volume digitally with the Yamaha WXC-50 that should be a good option too, I don't know if that is possible though.

You could also use cinch to XLR cables if you don't feel the need to go full digital, it will most likely sound superb too.

napfkuchen

If you can control the volume digitally with the Yamaha WXC-50 that should be a good option too, I don't know if that is possible though.
Indeed it is possible, doing this myself.
Is there an ideal way to connect these units?
I'm using the coax-out, a coax-bnc cable into a Neutrik NADIT BNC-M and from there it is xlr aes/ebu to the speakers/sub. That's the proper way to do it but just like lenny said a simple coax/xlr-cable should do the job just fine (for moderate cable lengths at least).

Also, some sources suggest the WXC-50 caps the output bitrate...
No idea, had an external soundcard with aes-out before (Yellowtec PUC2) and didn't notice any difference.
:)

HairyEars

I disagree that going in analog sounds like AES. The double conversation (a/d/a) is audible and not as clear as d/a. Other Genelec users share the same impression. But try it yourself.

Top Bottom