• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec The Ones woofer creases/tearing mystery solved

Scoox

I started a bit of a rant on this other thread and eventually got blocked by the mods, so I'm posting a new thread just to clear the air, because Genelec were kind enough to email me close-up pics of the race track woofers to prove they all look like that and it's perfectly normal. They also said it's ok to share the images so here they are. Goes without saying, I've already ordered a pair of 8351Bs. Merry Christmas. everyone!

8351B_1.JPG
8351B_2.JPG
8361A_1.JPG
8361_2.JPG

OP
S

Scoox

Since I was locked out of the original 8351B teardown thread I can't do it but it would be nice if someone could cross-link this thread so all the great friends I made back there know I'm not a troll, and also for the benefit of anyone reading that thread for the first time who wonders what the wrinkles are.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

YSC

Major Contributor
Nice that they did respond to your request and do such photo sharing, and more so on you come back and publicly say merry christmas here and acknowledge that you are not a troll and was wrong on this.

back to the drivers, if you remember in the original thread I said the screen caps didn't see that is due to video smoothening and it seems that it was what it was. a long distance shooting with a bayer sensor always need some interpolation which usually wipes out these detail in a video which is of much lower resolution than a photo

Newman

Major Contributor
close-up pics of the race track woofers to prove they all look like that and it's perfectly normal.
So? That doesn‘t mean it’s a good thing.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is that white stuff?
Glass. They're a glass fiber reinforced paper. The texture will never photograph very clearly because of that. If you shine a flashlight into the woofer you can see all the glass fibers glittering and reflecting light all over. It's very difficult to take good photos of materials that refract light in an irregular way.

YSC

Major Contributor
OMG. Here we go again.
I couldn’t believe Scoox brought it up in the first place.

What you guys, all transducer designers?
give me a break... it's just like a car owner seeing the bumper gap isn't tight or fits perfectly and gapless... when you get the confirmation it should look like this, and with the longevity guranteed by them and still feels that's irritating to you, perfectly fine, just don't risk rising your blood pressure and go buy something else yourself...

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Having those wrinkles when straight out of factory means it is not age related issue, but still does not mean the drivers have wrinkle is good or optimal. It is nice genelec respond to the email, shows they care the customer and not afraid of getting things accessed by the public.

YSC

Major Contributor
Having those wrinkles when straight out of factory means it is not age related issue, but still does not mean the drivers have wrinkle is good or optimal. It is nice genelec respond to the email, shows they care the customer and not afraid of getting things accessed by the public.
I just wonders why ppl kept getting annoyed by this, it's paper, when you warp paper around somethingwith sides not linear it will have wrinkles either at the bending portion or the straight portion... especially when you have glass fibers reinforcing them

Newman

Major Contributor
So? That doesn‘t mean it’s a good thing.
OMG. Here we go again. I couldn’t believe Scoox brought it up in the first place.
What you guys, all transducer designers?
I’m not judging the driver, I’m questioning his rationale for doing a 180 on his opinion of the driver. One minute he suspects the teardown driver is flawed or low-QC, then sees a whole raft of drivers with the same look, and suddenly he falls in love and has to buy one immediately?

Newman

Major Contributor
when you warp paper around somethingwith sides not linear it will have wrinkles
Where did you get this idea that speaker cones are made from sheets of paper? They are made from paper pulp.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Honestly are brains are wired to like smooth surfaces over a "wrinkled" one
So psychologically i don't feel 100% with it, on the other i 100% trust Genelec and I'm sure it will last for years without any problems

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
give me a break... it's just like a car owner seeing the bumper gap isn't tight or fits perfectly and gapless... when you get the confirmation it should look like this, and with the longevity guranteed by them and still feels that's irritating to you, perfectly fine, just don't risk rising your blood pressure and go buy something else yourself...
No. This is more like someone with absolutely no knowledge of car engines disassembling the engine of their car, and saying:

So I just did a tear down of my car’s engine. Lots of neat stuff in here. However there is one thing that is very concerning: Look at how half of these parts are completely coated in this oily substance! I am shocked that such a good car company would have been so careless to spill oil on some of the engine parts and not even clean it up! I contacted the manufacturer and they said that all engines are like this, but I’m not sure I believe them. I trust my instinct better than their engineers though, so I’m gonna remove all this oil from the engine before I put it back together, and I bet it’ll run better than ever!

Last edited:

Longshan

No. This is more like someone with absolutely no knowledge of car engines disassembling the engine of their car, and saying:
Exactly right.

Until someone has some data showing that wrinklegate is an objective concern with measurable effects, folks should get some perspective and consider that their lives may be too easy.

Top Bottom