• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec setups in living rooms [how to]

mumadadd

First post. Tbh I've been looking for an excuse, so here's my Genelecs in my living room. :)

Attachments

• PXL_20220703_053832067.jpg
    PXL_20220703_053832067.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 608

LukeD

Dear all,

As we are currently thinking about an update of our living room, I searched for inspiration to integrate the Genelec as nice as possible! Due to the shape it seems to be not so easy to integrate, however hopefully this thread will help.

Please don`t see this thread as a platform to discuss suboptimal placements/ speaker layouts etc., as everybody has different demands and priorities (especially in the living room area).

Thus, following some pictures I found and I also like to encourage you to share further pictures of Genelec setups in a living room environment.
Best would be that every post/ reply will include a picture!
index.php
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dio-monitor-review-by-erin.31417/post-1119943

Asthetically I like this one the most of those posted so far. Will try to post a photo of my own set up when I'm back home later in the week.

mumadadd

Nice.
What is your screen size? How far are you?
These are some 8361 or 8351? They look big!
Hi. 65 inch screen. They're 8351 (kicking myself for not getting the 8361 tbh - not due to anything lacking but just that would've been end game and I was already spending a load. Now I'll have to wait 3-5 years before upgrading). I sit about 3 metres back.

Tangband

Major Contributor
You can do this, spl won't be an issue if you don't want to disturb your neighbors. But the lack of sub bass and low distortion bass is an issue. Even with room gain a 5" or 6" in a small enclosure like the genelec 8330 or 8340 will always sound small.

There is also a substantial difference if the listening distance is bigger than about 1.25m. The amount of reflected sound is to high and a bigger speaker will sound much better. I would try different listening distances with a stereo to get an impression of it.

If the listening distance is around 2.5m a really big speaker like a smaller genelec main monitor is needed to get enough direct sound at the listing position.
One way to make the 8340 sound with more bass after GLM calibration, is to use manual shelving at 100 Hz in GLM and lower everything - 5 dB from 100 - 20000 Hz . This will give you a response very similar to the roomcurve that Toole recommends.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
This was a nice thread with Genelec speakers :).

From a sound perspective - not all of them is optimal, they may look nice, but the sound is compromised.

1. Place the speakers at correct hight level. With 8340, a loudspeaker stand thats 63 cm high ( including feets ) is optimal for best sound.
I use a stand from custom design for my 8340, the rs303.

2. Placing the speakers on a tv bench may look nice , but theres gonna be reflections from the bench thats gonna compromise the sound. Try to avoid the first 2 ms reflections from the speaker, and the sound will be clearer. This can be done using a proper loudspeakerstand.

3. Use a big rug on the floor between you and the speakers.

4. Don´t put the speakers above the tv screen.

This is a picture where good sound is possible.

44FA5699-E56C-40A1-9899-FCCC54DCE923.png

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Hey there,

I’m considering a 7370 and a pair of 8340 for my living room. I have actually just read the home theater page from the genelec website :D

It is a 5 x 5,50 meters room, ceiling is at 2,4m. 67m3 with exact measurement.
We are watching perfectly centered at about 4m from the screen but the speaker could be 50cms closer.

Do you think this enough power for home cinéma purpose?
I will upgrade with other 8340 for a center speaker and two surround but not right away. I thought maybe it is ok spl wise when you have a complete set up (with at least 5 speakers) but not if you just get a pair plus the sub.
I don’t want to have an underwhelming experience.

I could consider upgrading to a pair of 8350 but that extra money would come handy to buy the stands and the glm device so if the 40’s are enough, I’ll go this way.
A 7360 ( or two) is probably better for 8340.
For cinema use , I would recommend a subwoofer .

Tangband

Major Contributor
The 6040R is almost the same speaker as 8340, the difference seems mainly to be price ( almost double for 6040R ) and that the 8340 is a ported design and therefore can play louder in the bass . The hight of 6040R is 100 cm, which is optimal for sound quality.
A 8340 or 8040 on a 63 cm high stand reaches the same hight.
A pair of 8040 with custom design rs303 is about 2000 euro .
4D38CD3C-FA88-41CA-B4E1-0DA7934EEC42.jpeg

Last edited:

txbdan

I like the white Genelecs against white walls quite a bit more than I thought I would. Nice.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This was a nice thread with Genelec speakers :).

From a sound perspective - not all of them is optimal, they may look nice, but the sound is compromised.

1. Place the speakers at correct hight level. With 8340, a loudspeaker stand thats 63 cm high ( including feets ) is optimal for best sound.
I use a stand from custom design for my 8340, the rs303.

2. Placing the speakers on a tv bench may look nice , but theres gonna be reflections from the bench thats gonna compromise the sound. Try to avoid the first 2 ms reflections from the speaker, and the sound will be clearer. This can be done using a proper loudspeakerstand.

3. Use a big rug on the floor between you and the speakers.

4. Don´t put the speakers above the tv screen.

This is a picture where good sound is possible.

View attachment 218968
Nice room if you live alone and enjoy decorating with fake books. :)

Top Bottom