• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec S360 vs Dynaudio Core 59

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Anyone compare these two? I would be using them in my home theater but am principally interested in how they play music as two channel music listening is my primary focus. I would need a Left Center and Right channel as my surrounds are in walls. I currently own the Core 59s but am intrigued by the Genelecs and their horn loaded tweeter which should play louder with less distortion. Thanks!

q3cpma

Major Contributor
https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/genelec-s360a-high-spl-monitor-im-test/
https://www.soundandrecording.de/eq...-mit-voll-koaxialer-treiberanordnung-im-test/

Point per point comparison:
* FR: 8361A is way smoother, no nasty mid "peak in a valley".
* Phase: S360A better, but both are phase linear in the sensible band (1-6 kHz).
* THD: 8361A plays louder, which is supposed to be the S360A's point.
* Spectrogram: S360A is cleaner because of the Ones' slot loading mechanism, unknown audibility of the issue.
* Horizontal dispersion: mostly a tie.
* Vertical dispersion: obvious 8361A win, can be laid on its side to become horizontally CD down to 200 Hz as a big bonus.
* IMD: obvious 8361A win, again.

Conclusion: consider the 8351B or 8361A, the S360A's only reason for existing is ...?

About the Dynaudio: no measurements (unlike their cheaper LYD serie, worryingly), no real waveguide, no builtin room correction => no, thanks.

OP
T

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Hmm. I have two 15” sealed subs. Perhaps the 8351b is the way to go. Regarding room correction, I own an HTP-1 with Dirac so I don’t know how I would utilize GLM on the fronts or maybe stick with Dirac.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the S360A's only reason for existing is ...?
A bit cheaper (1500€ pair street price in Germany) and Genelec recommends the S360 for a tad bigger rooms and listening distances:

1619473051574.png

Source: https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors

Also to tell the full truth the horizontal directivity of the S360A is a bit smoother than the 8361A one on above S&R tests and the S360A vertical higher directivity of the elliptical waveguide can be an advantage for large listening distances and/or not treated rooms, 8361A is more a midfield studio monitor and S360A more a problemsolver for typical living rooms and home theatres.

OP
T

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
A bit cheaper (1500€ pair street price in Germany) and Genelec recommends the S360 for a tad bigger rooms and listening distances:

View attachment 126491
Source: https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors

Also to tell the full truth the horizontal directivity of the S360A is a bit smoother than the 8361A one on above S&R tests and the S360A vertical higher directivity of the elliptical waveguide can be an advantage for large listening distances and/or not treated rooms, 8361A is more a midfield studio monitor and S360A more a problemsolver for typical living rooms and home theatres.
Interesting analysis. Thanks for this. Different points of view help with an intelligent decision.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm. I have two 15” sealed subs. Perhaps the 8351b is the way to go. Regarding room correction, I own an HTP-1 with Dirac so I don’t know how I would utilize GLM on the fronts or maybe stick with Dirac.

My choice of all three would be the 8351b. It's weakness is bass, but the subs will take care of that. Above bass frequencies the 8351b measures the best of the 3.

OP
T

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
My choice of all three would be the 8351b. It's weakness is bass, but the subs will take care of that. Above bass frequencies the 8351b measures the best of the 3.
Thanks for the response. I do like the fact that they can be horizontally placed for center channel use which the S360 cannot, at least not optimally. Are you using GLM with your 8351b?

OP
T

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Just got off the horn with Genelec. They recommend, given my placement needs, either the 8351 or 8361. Since most of my listening is two channel music I am thinking the 61 might fill the bill as I won't need the subwoofers and can use GLM. When I turn to movies I can, with another preset, use Dirac and the subs.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No reason to turn the subs off and nerf the sound quality for music. 8361 + subs is better than 8361 on their own, for both music and movies. Only reasons I see not to use subs are

1. Can't afford them atm
2. Can't fit them
3. Don't want to mess with setting them up

Seeing as none of those apply to you, there's no reason to only have the best sound quality for movies ;).

BTW, you can use GLM + Dirac pretty easily, and they work awesome together. That's what I'm doing right now.

I think if you didn't have subs, the 8361 would be the clear choice, as although it still needs subs for full range sound, it's much less gimp than the 8351.

With subs, I can see pros for both. The 8351b gives you a slightly better on/off axis response, and a slightly prettier beamwidth. The 8361 gives you more headroom from 80-320Hz(assuming you cross at 80Hz), and controls directivity slightly lower in the vertical position.

Side by side comparison.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 10.31.43 PM.png

8351 is a little better, but it's a pretty small difference. Weigh that vs the extra midbass headroom you get with the 8361. I think you can't go wrong with either tbh.

OP
T

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
No reason to turn the subs off and nerf the sound quality for music. 8361 + subs is better than 8361 on their own, for both music and movies. Only reasons I see not to use subs are

1. Can't afford them atm
2. Can't fit them
3. Don't want to mess with setting them up

Seeing as none of those apply to you, there's no reason to only have the best sound quality for movies ;).

BTW, you can use GLM + Dirac pretty easily, and they work awesome together. That's what I'm doing right now.

I think if you didn't have subs, the 8361 would be the clear choice, as although it still needs subs for full range sound, it's much less gimp than the 8351.

With subs, I can see pros for both. The 8351b gives you a slightly better on/off axis response, and a slightly prettier beamwidth. The 8361 gives you more headroom from 80-320Hz(assuming you cross at 80Hz), and controls directivity slightly lower in the vertical position.

Side by side comparison.

View attachment 126750

8351 is a little better, but it's a pretty small difference. Weigh that vs the extra midbass headroom you get with the 8361. I think you can't go wrong with either tbh.
In using GLM with Dirac, which do you run first, GLM or Dirac?

OP
T

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
I received the 8361s today and have them playing. I am running Dirac to start as I didn't have the time or energy to learn to use GLM with now. So far I am very pleased. They are flat down to around 24 hz in my room with some serious bass reinforcement from the room which Dirac has tamed.They are in the same position as the Core 59s but I plan to move them closer the wall as I am getting a sickout around 100hz on the left and rights. The center measure flatter as it is only 4 inches off the floor and set up horizontally.

They seem smoother than the Dynaudio but I haven't played with them a lot yet. I will post back some additional impressions as I learn more how they play a variety of music.

Top Bottom