• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec S360 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 111 35.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 184 59.5%

• Total voters

BDE

Just take a look at the patents:

Last edited:

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the links. Thinking from there, the ports might not be straight-walled at the inside. However, if this was all they did, I would not expect such a higly surpressed resonance. Sadly, the patent is not giving away much.

dasdoing

Major Contributor

changer

ok. we have discussed this before. this is a meassurement at the opening. the resonances are probably produced by the enclosure, not the port per se. on the other hand nobody seams to be certain. but it could be tested
I do not fully understand. The magnitude of the measurable resonance that is going through the port is dependent on a number of factors. KEF did a nice job illustrating this in their LS50 whitepaper, p. 16

dasdoing

Major Contributor

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can share my experience. I am Chinese and bought a pair of Genelec 8361 and enjoyed it very much. I took a video of my speakers and uploaded it to bilibili (known as China's Youtube), and then I was targeted by a few audiophile "gurus". They commented under my video "Genelec is a leek speaker". I clicked into the home page of one of them and found that it was a speaker DIY circle, they claim that making speakers is just like assembling a computer, just buy good parts and put them on the line, just like the graphics card, CPU, and Genelec use components are not so "audiophile", so Genelec is a leek speaker. They are harassed under many Genelec videos.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Hilarious clowns. Where it comes from is jealousy. You can buy the best parts in the world and put them together in such a way it sounds like junk.

Leek as in the vegetable? Hahaha

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hilarious clowns. Where it comes from is jealousy. You can buy the best parts in the world and put them together in such a way it sounds like junk.

Leek as in the vegetable? Hahaha

Leek is Chinese slang for dud though I suspect most of us figured that out from context.

YSC

Major Contributor
Leek is Chinese slang for dud though I suspect most of us figured that out from context.
not exactly, as a Chinese (Hong Kong) guy I would say leek is a synonyme of "blood sucking/money harvesting from layman/idiots", something in the line that snake oil in english. basically they are claiming that since genelec is using cheap parts and sell at high price, it's a snake oil product to harvest the poor money

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On gearstuffz they say very similar to 8361 for what it’s worth

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
When you buy them, you leek $$$
So it kind of makes sense.
Anyways where's the link to the video?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
not exactly, as a Chinese (Hong Kong) guy I would say leek is a synonyme of "blood sucking/money harvesting from layman/idiots", something in the line that snake oil in english. basically they are claiming that since genelec is using cheap parts and sell at high price, it's a snake oil product to harvest the poor money

Ah, Singaporean Chinese here, so was inferring.

Anyway, the Genelec coax in the One series is designed and built in-house, and has top SPL, smoothness and dispersion. Thought boutique fetishists were all about praising in-house custom built drivers even when the end results are not amazing values or performers. Such a massive circlejerk over the ATC dome and now their new tweeter, which are both much more primitive drivers than the Genelec seamless coax.

Cars-N-Cans

"I clicked into the home page of one of them and found that it was a speaker DIY circle, they claim that making speakers is just like assembling a computer, just buy good parts and put them on the line, just like the graphics card, CPU..."

A lot of audiophiles (and companies) agree, and build their speakers the same way. They must be right because hearing them brings waves of nostalgia of listening to thrash metal in my OBS Chevy truck back in college with its premium, quality Delco speakers equipped with only the best whizzer cones US dollars can purchase. And all of that from the factory, too!

Like seriously lol... There's a lot more than just slapping some drivers in a box to get good sound out of speakers.

chorus

Let's make deal. Do not quote MSRPs except as a pair.
Unless its a center channel speaker.
Consistency counts.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Let's make deal. Do not quote MSRPs except as a pair.
Unless its a center channel speaker.
Consistency counts.
Your mind is stuck in the two channel quagmire. This speaker can and is used in multichannel setups and as a center channel.

Top Bottom