• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec Ones setup

bungle

Sorry my ignorance but how does the Genelecs adjust the volume normally?
You can adjust digital Genelec's volume with GLM (with software, or with wired or wireless remote), but you can also use analog inputs and then adjust volume with whatever you want.

or with mobile / API:

or automation:

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can adjust digital Genelec's volume with GLM (with software, or with wired or wireless remote), but you can also use analog inputs and then adjust volume with whatever you want.

Thank you. I am asking purely out of curiosity; why do you prefer to use the RME volume?

bungle

Thank you. I am asking purely out of curiosity; why do you prefer to use the RME volume?
I am not OP, and I don't own digital Genelecs. But I think it pretty much falls to this single remote / single controller thing (Genelecs don't have eARC nor they are going to have one, if I were to predict, their market is pro-audio). Some people use GLM to setup system, and room correct, and then they plug GLM out, and use whatever to feed (with analog signal) the speakers. Speakers still remember their setups and room correction. Yes, the full path may be digital -> analog -> digital -> analog -> sound.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not OP, and I don't own digital Genelecs. But I think it pretty much falls to this single remote / single controller thing (Genelecs don't have eARC nor they are going to have one, if I were to predict, their market is pro-audio). Some people use GLM to setup system, and room correct, and then they plug GLM out, and use whatever to feed (with analog signal) the speakers. Speakers still remember their setups and room correction. Yes, the full path may be digital -> analog -> digital -> analog -> sound.
I am sorry. I was not paying attention that you were not the OP.

Reactions: CMB

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

or with mobile / API:

or automation:
Wow I had no idea about the smart API control. Just downloaded it. Still I like that nice volume knob. More options is better.

Edit: I downloaded the app but apparently the drivers need to be linked with one of the 3 automation systems they support? Or I would need to program a PC software to use it? Anyway it’s nice they have it. I’ll stick to the heavy aluminum knob.

bungle

Wow I had no idea about the smart API control. Just downloaded it. Still I like that nice volume knob. More options is better.

Edit: I downloaded the app but apparently the drivers need to be linked with one of the 3 automation systems they support? Or I would need to program a PC software to use it? Anyway it’s nice they have it. I’ll stick to the heavy aluminum knob.
I am not sure if Smart IP is 44x0 feature, or can you also use it with the Ones.

CMB

Besides loudness trebble/bass on the fly, I disconnected GLM once calibrated.
I don’t want to have my laptop on and connected to GLM to modify volume via software.
I have the GLM volume knob, but rather prefer remote. Also GLM is disconnected from the speakers and from power supply.
For Genelec remote, I suspect that you would need the GLM box connected and powered (?).

I guess this depends on your usage. I use them in my living room. From there I prefer that setup.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes powered. By any usb port you find on anything. Yes all the cat 5 cables must be connected.

If volume knob is plugged in then the wireless does not work apparently. So I picked the physical volume. The wire is a pain but it goes under my floor reflection prevention rug.

It’s a simple 2.5mm jack i’m sure someone has made a way to make that control wireless. I don’t know. I use a braided extension cable. I noticed that if it’s not plugged in fully it can be finicky. Once plugged in correctly it’s rock solid.

I listen to lossy YouTube for the sake of convenience. So horses for courses as they say.

Probably this could work:
Avantree Lock aptX Low Latency Wireless Transmitter and Receiver Set, Bluetooth Audio Adapter for TV Projector to Headphones, Speakers, Soundbar, Camera, Plug & Play, No Delay, 3.5mm AUX & RCA
https://a.co/d/a4a9cTI

Last edited:
Reactions: CMB
OP
N

Nikisixx21

Back everyone and closing the loop on this for what I did in case it helps anyone.

Everything I have runs into the Aorus monitor - USB C, HDMI 1, HDMI 2.

The monitor has an optical out which I run into an optical to coax converter from Gefen TV.

I have a coax to xlr cable I got from Sweetwater and it’s a short run of 3 feet into the first aes input of the left 8341. Then aes to the right monitor, and I’ve since added a 7350 sub so go aes to that too.

I have the GLM and it’s powered via an old 5v iPhone usb brick and use the Genelec volume control knob.

Everything works perfect.

Top Bottom