• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec Ones setup

Nikisixx21

Hey all

I have a question about my setup and hoping someone can help with some recommendations.

I’m purchasing 8341s with the GLM kit and volume control.

I currently have an RME ADI DAC 2 which takes the usb from my Mac and optical input from my Aorus FV43 monitor (from hdmi input) and runs to my current mackie setup via analog Xlr.

I’d like to setup the genelec with a digital source if I can. My dac doesn’t have an AES or optical out, I would have to step up to the pro model for that but as mentioned my Aorus FV43 gaming monitor does have an optical output.

I will only be using the genelecs when something is displayed on the Aorus screen (either usb c from Mac or hdmi).

Am I correct that with the Hosa ODL 312 optical to AES converter (and Glm volume control) I can completely eliminate the RME from my setup? Assuming I would need to power the GLM separately when using the hdmi source.

It seemes the Aorus FV43 output format is 24 bit 48kHz. Will I be losing anything quality wise running this directly into the genelecs? Or am I over complicating this completely and should just plug in the genelecs analog?

Thanks in advance any feedback is appreciated!

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd just run analog out since you're only dealing with two speakers and your source is an excellent one. You're still gonna gonna through conversions with GLM with either, so keep it simple.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all

I have a question about my setup and hoping someone can help with some recommendations.

I’m purchasing 8341s with the GLM kit and volume control.

I currently have an RME ADI DAC 2 which takes the usb from my Mac and optical input from my Aorus FV43 monitor (from hdmi input) and runs to my current mackie setup via analog Xlr.

I’d like to setup the genelec with a digital source if I can. My dac doesn’t have an AES or optical out, I would have to step up to the pro model for that but as mentioned my Aorus FV43 gaming monitor does have an optical output.

I will only be using the genelecs when something is displayed on the Aorus screen (either usb c from Mac or hdmi).

Am I correct that with the Hosa ODL 312 optical to AES converter (and Glm volume control) I can completely eliminate the RME from my setup? Assuming I would need to power the GLM separately when using the hdmi source.

It seemes the Aorus FV43 output format is 24 bit 48kHz. Will I be losing anything quality wise running this directly into the genelecs? Or am I over complicating this completely and should just plug in the genelecs analog?

Thanks in advance any feedback is appreciated!
Why do you need a DAC then if you need a digital source?

nerdoldnerdith

You can get a cheap USB to SPDIF converter and an AES impedence transformer to plug coaxial SPDIF into the digital input of the Genelec. Or you can just continue to use the RME or another cheap DAC and plug into the analog input. The ADC in the Genelec is audibly transparent, so you won't be able to tell the difference.

Matthias McCready

I bought one of these convertors for around $40 for my monitors, which like the Genelecs have an AES input.

Still waiting for it to arrive, but I would imagine it should do the trick!

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had the 8361 with the same RME that you had. It sounds great and the volume control was easier. Now I have 8351b and GLM volume control. And I am using the Hosa converter. And it works great. I miss seeing the volume as I did with the RME.

I ended up getting a used MiniDSP SHD Studio which is like the RME except it has no analog to digital conversion, uses AES/EBU digital output, and it has a built-in streamer. Something like that has the benefit of being able to switch digital sources, show you a volume level, and even do a cross-over if you elect to use non-Genelec subs in the future.

Last edited:

nerdoldnerdith

What kind of Mac do you have? If it has a headphone jack or some other kind of analog out you can just connect it directly to the monitors with an adapter.

Kervel

Forum Donor
I use this automatic input selector:

It takes 4 Toslink channels as input, selects the active channel, and outputs spdif which you convert to AES with the HOSA. Really nice: you just turn on tv and the speakers with ISS turn on automagically.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I had the 8361 with the same RME that you had. It sounds great and the volume control was easier. Now I have 8351b and GLM volume control. And I am using the Hosa converter. And it works great. I miss seeing the volume as I did with the RME.

I ended up getting a used MiniDSP SHD Studio which is like the RME except it has no analog to digital conversion, uses AES/EBU digital output, and it has a built-in streamer. Something like that has the benefit of being able to switch digital sources, show you a volume level, and even do a cross-over if you elect to use non-Genelec subs in the future.
You downgraded from 8361 to 8351?

OP
N

Nikisixx21

What about “hacking” the RME adi dac to output a digital signal via the Rec opt. or Rec coax functionality?

Use both digital inputs for my Mac and video monitor source. And then use the record functionality to pass back through to usb. Then convert the usb to AES with an adaptor like the one shared above as an input to the genelecs?

nerdoldnerdith

What about “hacking” the RME adi dac to output a digital signal via the Rec opt. or Rec coax functionality?

Use both digital inputs for my Mac and video monitor source. And then use the record functionality to pass back through to usb. Then convert the usb to AES with an adaptor like the one shared above as an input to the genelecs?
No. Just use the analog output on the DAC and analog input on the monitors if you are going to use the DAC.

Zaireeka

Agreed. Even if, intellectually speaking using a full digital signal chain makes sense, you'll still benefit from stellars RME's DAC and Genelec's ADC.

Reactions: CMB

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just use a topping d10 ddc and forget about adc and dac.

If you want to get fancy also get a blue jeans 75ohm coax to bnc then a bnc to aes impedance converter from canare

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. Even if, intellectually speaking using a full digital signal chain makes sense, you'll still benefit from stellars RME's DAC and Genelec's ADC.
Is that because of the cascaded DAC > ADC induced artefacts makes the sound nicer you think?

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

CMB

Whether they are audible or not why do you want to add an extra process when you already have a digital signal and a digital input?
In my case it is a concession to:
Easy volume control/mute/adaptive loudness/additional trebble&bass per remote (RME ADI Dac).

But that is individual to anyones needs I guess. If you can avoid it, also better.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my case it is a concession to:
Easy volume control/mute/adaptive loudness/additional trebble&bass per remote (RME ADI Dac).

But that is individual to anyones needs I guess. If you can avoid it, also better.
Sorry my ignorance but how does the Genelecs adjust the volume normally?

Top Bottom