• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec Ones- Overpriced ?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Obviously I'm a Genelec fan
But from feedback on this forum It seems there isn't a huge difference between the 8000 series and also Neumann monitors(especially KH150 ,KH310)
So the question is are they worth the extra $$$?

JustCoolin‘

I generally find "overpriced" a difficult term without a clear definition. To me, it suggests that a company is making more profit with something than it should. To be able to evaluate this, you would have to analyse their R&D costs, personnel costs, production costs, profit margins, etc. That said, if something sells well, can we even say it is "overpriced"?

I guess what is usally meant and you did make it quite clear that you mean this, mind - is "do I get the same or nearly the same product elsewhere while spending considerably less". In my opinion, you need to compare specific products, and take into account lots of factors, including liability, warranty, the law of diminishing returns, etc. The Ones cover a whole range, don't they, as does Neumann. I personally never perceived Neumann as being per se cheaper than Genelec.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Thick end of five grand the pair?

I suppose from this site's pov, maybe five grand the pair is expensive, but compared to the domestic scene, this price level is 'entry level' to the pro-ignorant high end... So many of the cheaper smaller actives tested here seem to have port bleed or box resonances affecting the upper midrange or possible driver irregularities doing the same - makes me a bit scared to replace my safe old increasingly too-large BBC-Inspired boxes with a sublimely smooth and well integrated 'tone' with them to be honest, despite the extra 'tactile clarity' on offer by going active...

So despite not having heard them, I'd suggest the Ones are actually a fair price for what they offer (all but double the price if they sold to high end dealers as the latter like good margins these days).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't this comparing a 3-way point-source speaker with ordinary 2-way? Because I'd expect them to be more expensive.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Isn't this comparing a 3-way point-source speaker with ordinary 2-way? Because I'd expect them to be more expensive.
Yeah but let's say KH310 vs 8351 both 3-way 8 inch

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
companies will charge what the market will bear

also if the company seems to sell quite a few units at this price then maybe the market has spoken?

ALSO who is their target market? it probably isnt this place and if they are treated as 'work tools' then the companies that buy them think they are worth it in their production processes

YSC

Major Contributor
It just depends on who and what you’re comparing to, to ME where I do eq using rew and eq APO and is poor, they are overpriced for my wallet, coz I can get 95% happiness going to the much cheaper options from them, which is perfectly fine for me.

But if comparing to what’s out there in the wild, especially for point source speakers, I don’t think they are any overpriced

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ALSO who is their target market?
My observations over the years are that manufacturers who sell primarily into the domestic market are keenly aware that the purchase price comes out of already-taxed individual income. Manufacturers who sell primarily into the legacy pro market are equally aware that the purchase price represents an instant tax deduction for the customer. A $20k item sold to a corporate organization "costs" $10k in the first year and eventually even less, depending on what depreciation scheme the bookkeeper operates.

Genelec, Neumann, Meyer, ATC, etc, etc, have been in the properly-funded pro market for at least a couple of generations, facing much less price sensitivity, so yes, I think their prices are somewhat baggy and complacent. It will be interesting to see what they do, as the legacy market fades away in favor of bedroom producers, who seem to react to pricing more like private consumers - even though they actually have the same bookkeeping possibilities as any other pro. Assuming they're making enough profit to be taxable, that is.

Fun fact: bookkeeper/bookkeeping are the only words in English to feature three consecutive pairs of repeated letters.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think they are very cheap for being among the best or the best product in their category.

In most categories if you want the absolute best you are going to spend huge amounts of money for almost no benefit compared to the next tier.

If the price is too high you are just too poor. And nothing wrong with that, one percenters aside there are always products you are too poor to get.

jonfitch

They'd be less overpriced if you'd bought the dip, when you were first considering them....(pre-covid?)

Reminds me of when used Genelec 8260As were going for $2000 pair in 2011 because of the financial crisis. 2009-2012 was the best period IMO to buy used audio equipment. Back then you could get used speakers for a killing. I remember getting a Revel Ultima2 Voice for around $1500 and a Studio2 pair for under $4k. Some guy on AVSforum scored a pair of Paradigm Signature S8v2s for $200(!!). Of course if we had all bought (and kept) bitcoin then we would be all billionaires now lol. People were buying pizzas for 10k BTC back then lmao.

unpluggged

These are not consumer products. The price structure is different in commercial segment.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

JustCoolin‘

The 420 is as expensive as the One flagship (and will be more so if/when an updated version with DSP is released), Geithains barely start there. Them being „better“ - potentially - does not make the Genelecs overpriced.

Top Bottom