• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec on audio science

pirad

The mains are true dipoles and the subs 4 distributed classic boxes or two
V-frame dipoles. The XO is at 120 hz.
Any link/title or word of advice how to measure the dipole mains? I cannot find anything devoted to this except the Linkwitz site, which is of course great,
but a second opinion is always appreciated.

Floyd Toole

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I cannot find anything devoted to this except the Linkwitz site

A family of on and off-axis curves should tell the tale. Figure 7.12 shows a few such curves for the almost dipolar Quad ESL63. Ideally they should be very similar, simply falling in amplitude as the angle increases from zero to 90 deg. and then the symmetrical behavior from 90 to 180 deg.

Siegfried Linkwitz would be my "go to" person for cone-dome dipoles, but he, unfortunately, is seriously ill. I discuss his omnidirectional vs. dipole subjective comparison in Section 7.4.5.

pirad

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
I am very sad about Siegfried’s illness.
He put me on the dipole path with his license
for LX521 (my built- pic). Great man, I wish him health.
LX521.jpg

Last edited:

pirad

It is interesting that when tested in an elaborate listening lab in Germany, listeners were displeased when the floor reflection was removed. It seems that humans have adapted to having a solid reflecting surface under us.
Perhaps humans expect reflections coming from below, otherwise it's like having no ground under the feet.

Wombat

Master Contributor
In audio and other pursuits it pays to be grounded before pursuing more esoteric ideas. o_O

A la Ian Roussel with hot-rodding. :p

Last edited:
OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
SOME REFLECTIONS ON LOVE AND HATE IN AUDIO

(Warning! This text got a bit long, so not recommended for the twitter generation!)

I remember asking this question to a bunch of audiophiles:

"Let's say you had this audio system, NIRVANA101; it's invisible, takes no place, plays full range, no distortion at the very highest sound pressure levels. The price of the system is very low. Would you buy such a system?"

To my surprise, most if not all people didn't want this system. It would take the hobby out of audio, a couple of honest people said.

The NIRVANA101 system doesn't exist, of course. But let me rephrase:

"Let's say you had this producer of audio systems, active speakers and subwoofers with DSP. Ever since their start up 40 years ago, they have been following the narrow scientific path. Their first speaker was an active one. Today, they have a full product range intended for rooms from 55 m3 (cubic meters) to 400 m3 (i.e. 1950 ft3 to 14200 ft3). Their smallest speaker weighs 1.5 kg each, their biggest 193 kg (including external amplifier module) each. Needless to say, all speakers have adequate specifications for professional use. In the past 10-20 years, the company has developed and used sophisticated DSP to enhance the in-room qualities of otherwise ancehoically flat speakers of low distortion. The price of these audio systems is competitive. Would you buy such a system?"
Background: https://www.genelec.com/sites/defau...gues/genelec_monitors_in-room_performance.pdf

To my surprise, these audio systems draws very little attention outside of the professional arena where time is money (you cannot have speakers that break down, or a speaker producer who cannot deliver replacement speakers that are 100 percent identical to the speakers they delivered many years ago, etc.). For example, these speakers are represented in two out of three OB vans (cars used in the field in broadcasting). The customer list is further populated by professionals like Grammy winners, an opera control room, universities etc.

If you follow a scientific route for 40 years, one would have thought that a company and its products would be regarded as the safe choice, totally uncontroversial, the leading star for others to follow. But that's not completely the case.

I think the company, Genelec, is the only speaker producer that has a thread on Gearslutz with "love hate" in the thread name. In 2015, a thread with the name "The love hate relationship with Genelec" was started. The opening poster writes:

"When you read comments and reviews about most monitors in a certain price range, usually there is a certain amount of uniformity in the overall reaction... like with Focal, you read the forum and the general consensus is they are great monitors, some people don't like them as much or don't find then as flat as x, or as detailed as y, but you see very little of the word "hate" used with the brand. Same goes for many of the popular brands talked about on the forum... but man when you bring up Genelec, the field shifts to a gaping polarization. People either swear by them or can't stand them. There seems to be very little middle ground. Even pro reviews i've read (on the 8000 series) have very neutral conclusion. Like, " if you like the Genelec sound then you'll like these." So whats the deal? What is Genelec doing that folks either live by or can't stand?".

And the perceptions around the company - perceptions that are less related to reality than confusion - are alive on ASR as well. One user used the word "cult" to describe the company (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nelec-on-audio-science.3110/page-3#post-79223), as if a cult company could get the major market share of, for example, the OB van market. Another ASR user wrote on Gearslutz that all the company's drivers are made in China, even if for example Genelec founder Ilpo Martikainen has stated in writing that some of their drivers are made in-house in Finland and some are made by Danish company Dynaudio. On the newest addition to the Genelec range of products, the company writes the following in a brochure: "All sub-systems of THE ONES including electronics, amplifier circuitry, drivers and system configuration are entirely designed, handmade and individually tested by craftsmen at our factory in Iisalmi, Finland".

According to listener preference research by Sean Olive, around 1/3 of the sound quality has to do with the bass handling of the audio system. In addition to the aforementioned speakers of every size, Genelec also produces a whole range of high-quality subwoofers; the smallest, 8 inches, weighs 19 kg and the biggest, 15 inches, weighs 69 kg. DSP enables the user to put together as many subs (maximum 30 speakers in one system) as he wants to create a system of subwoofers along the ideas of for example "Geddes-distributed-subs" etc.

In other words: The product range covers (almost) all needs.

I guess my fascination with and interest in Genelec has to do with my professional background outside of audio. In my profession, I have to deal with claims made by really (very!) smart people. Yet, high IQ and smartness could not over the decades stand in the way of the intelligent, science based alternative. So the intelligent, cheap alternative has taken huge market shares, while only the very best, "esoteric" solutions survive (well, some survive due to clever, subtle and complex marketing as well). To separate the robust, intelligent solutions from bullshit solutions makes you - I guess - a bit of a cynic over time.

As far as I can evaluate, Genelec represents a robust, intelligent, scientific choice. It's not - in any way - the final word in audio, but where are the alternatives that represent science, speakers that are extremely neutral, linear, reliable, serviceable, manufactured with very tight tolerances between units and batches over the years, and any speaker of same model may be paired with any other sample, even made years apart?

As a non-expert in audio (I have more professional competence in separating bullshit from the "signal", and from trying to understand why people repeatedly choose bullshit over a more nutritious diet), I think it's highly interesting to try and understand the design choices of such a company (as well as understanding how people react to such a company's offering in the market). My reasoning tells me that the beginner learns the fastest when he copies the behaviour of experts. And may we all have learned something recently? Because it seems like all or most forums member weren't aware of DSP based room compensation that uses Direct Sound information, as opposed to Steady-State information (with the implication that the DS curve should be flat, while an SS curve is tilted due to room influences). I find it interesting that Genelec's room compensation is DS based in order to improve in-room what many if not most people say cannot be improved, i.e. an anechoically flat speaker of low distortion.

To get back to the words in the title; love and hate. Why is it that a science based company leads to such emotions? Isn't science supposed to be emotion-free? Well, anyone who knows just a little about science sees that emotions are present in science as well. People are fighting for different paradigms, for positions and rank, and all the tricks in the book are used to make a fool out of a competing research program or a competing researcher.

Then comes the point that people like to make their own choices; overconfidence is a human, natural thing. Audiophiles like to tweak and tune. They listen to their systems instead of through their systems. And ASR is not so different, is it? We measure boxes that have an SNR of 130 and 140, but to what end? When does being fixated on specifications become counter-productive? Very few ASR members - if I am not mistaken - have opted for the active, fully integrated DSP based solution; instead, they follow a route that paradoxically resembles the old audiophile path with myriads of boxes, external DACs etc. The robust, intelligent and science-based alternative of a company with decades worth of science-based development of fully integrated products is - unexpectedly - of little interest to the crowd who like to be in the control of all the boxes in a complex audio system. Could the so-called disposition effect explain it all, or is there something else as at play?

One thing I believe provokes some people about Genelec - including science interested people - is that they on the one hand like to read research articles on audio while on the other hand don't want to live by the rules of scientific insight. They don't want to marry, but keep all options open. Reading here and there about science gives you intellectual food for thought, i.e. the possibility to shop around for intellectual ideas, on a purely theoretical level. Intellectual gymnastics has its value, for sure. However, when a science-based company starts to make tangible products and integrated solutions, it cannot play on two horses at the same time; it needs to make priorities, choosing one solution over another. So if you want to keep all the options open, a fully integrated science-based solution is not for you; just in case a new, scientifically based idea is just around the corner. And in the background we have financial interests who give the impression that paradigms happen every two, three or five years. Myopia is certainly a common trait in audio as well.

Genelec is obviously not anything like NIRVANA101. Does Genelec give you the best sound in the universe? Probably not! It's just a readily available choice of the highest quality for people who want a science based audio solution for any need, from a company that over the years demonstrated competence, integrity, honesty and even benevolence; i.e. the ingredients normally mentioned by social scientists when they try and define trust (see opening post of mine for a perspective on these values). And it's a solution for people who want a trusted company to make all the relevant choices for them, from A to Z - as an integrated solution - on the playback side.

That certainly sets them apart in the world of audio. Loved by some. Hated by others.

:)

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

(Warning! This text got a bit long, so not recommended for the twitter generation!)

"Let's say you had this audio system, NIRVANA101; it's invisible, takes no place, plays full range, no distortion at the very highest sound pressure levels. The price of the system is very low. Would you buy such a system?"

To my surprise, most if not all people didn't want this system. It would take the hobby out of audio, a couple of honest people said.

"Let's say you had this producer of audio systems, active speakers and subwoofers with DSP. Ever since their start up 40 years ago, they have been following the narrow scientific path. Their first speaker was an active one. Today, they have a full product range intended for rooms from 55 m3 (cubic meters) to 400 m3 (i.e. 1950 ft3 to 14200 ft3). Their smallest speaker weighs 1.5 kg each, their biggest 193 kg (including external amplifier module) each. Needless to say, all speakers have adequate specifications for professional use. In the past 10-20 years, the company has developed and used sophisticated DSP to enhance the in-room qualities of otherwise ancehoically flat speakers of low distortion. The price of these audio systems is competitive. Would you buy such a system?"
Background: https://www.genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Studio monitors/Catalogues/genelec_monitors_in-room_performance.pdf

To my surprise, these audio systems draws very little attention outside of the professional arena where time is money (you cannot have speakers that break down, or a speaker producer who cannot deliver replacement speakers that are 100 percent identical to the speakers they delivered many years ago, etc.). For example, these speakers are represented in two out of three OB vans (cars used in the field in broadcasting). The customer list is further populated by professionals like Grammy winners, an opera control room, universities etc.

If you follow a scientific route for 40 years, one would have thought that a company and its products would be regarded as the safe choice, totally uncontroversial, the leading star for others to follow. But that's not completely the case.

I think the company, Genelec, is the only speaker producer that has a thread on Gearslutz with "love hate" in the thread name. In 2015, a thread with the name "The love hate relationship with Genelec" was started. The opening poster writes:

"When you read comments and reviews about most monitors in a certain price range, usually there is a certain amount of uniformity in the overall reaction... like with Focal, you read the forum and the general consensus is they are great monitors, some people don't like them as much or don't find then as flat as x, or as detailed as y, but you see very little of the word "hate" used with the brand. Same goes for many of the popular brands talked about on the forum... but man when you bring up Genelec, the field shifts to a gaping polarization. People either swear by them or can't stand them. There seems to be very little middle ground. Even pro reviews i've read (on the 8000 series) have very neutral conclusion. Like, " if you like the Genelec sound then you'll like these." So whats the deal? What is Genelec doing that folks either live by or can't stand?".

And the perceptions around the company - perceptions that are less related to reality than confusion - are alive on ASR as well. One user used the word "cult" to describe the company (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nelec-on-audio-science.3110/page-3#post-79223), as if a cult company could get the major market share of, for example, the OB van market. Another ASR user wrote on Gearslutz that all the company's drivers are made in China, even if for example Genelec founder Ilpo Martikainen has stated in writing that some of their drivers are made in-house in Finland and some are made by Danish company Dynaudio. On the newest addition to the Genelec range of products, the company writes the following in a brochure: "All sub-systems of THE ONES including electronics, amplifier circuitry, drivers and system configuration are entirely designed, handmade and individually tested by craftsmen at our factory in Iisalmi, Finland".

According to listener preference research by Sean Olive, around 1/3 of the sound quality has to do with the bass handling of the audio system. In addition to the aforementioned speakers of every size, Genelec also produces a whole range of high-quality subwoofers; the smallest, 8 inches, weighs 19 kg and the biggest, 15 inches, weighs 69 kg. DSP enables the user to put together as many subs (maximum 30 speakers in one system) as he wants to create a system of subwoofers along the ideas of for example "Geddes-distributed-subs" etc.

I guess my fascination with and interest in Genelec has to do with my professional background outside of audio. In my profession, I have to deal with claims made by really (very!) smart people. Yet, high IQ and smartness could not over the decades stand in the way of the intelligent, science based alternative. So the intelligent, cheap alternative has taken huge market shares, while only the very best, "esoteric" solutions survive (well, some survive due to clever, subtle and complex marketing as well). To separate the robust, intelligent solutions from bullshit solutions makes you - I guess - a bit of a cynic over time.

As far as I can evaluate, Genelec represents a robust, intelligent, scientific choice. It's not - in any way - the final word in audio, but where are the alternatives that represent science, speakers that are extremely neutral, linear, reliable, serviceable, manufactured with very tight tolerances between units and batches over the years, and any speaker of same model may be paired with any other sample, even made years apart?

As a non-expert in audio (I have more professional competence in separating bullshit from the "signal", and from trying to understand why people repeatedly choose bullshit over a more nutritious diet), I think it's highly interesting to try and understand the design choices of such a company (as well as understanding how people react to such a company's offering in the market). My reasoning tells me that the beginner learns the fastest when he copies the behaviour of experts. And may we all have learned something recently? Because it seems like all or most forums member weren't aware of DSP based room compensation that uses Direct Sound information, as opposed to Steady-State information (with the implication that the DS curve should be flat, while an SS curve is tilted due to room influences). I find it interesting that Genelec's room compensation is DS based in order to improve in-room what many if not most people say cannot be improved, i.e. an anechoically flat speaker of low distortion.

To get back to the words in the title; love and hate. Why is it that a science based company leads to such emotions? Isn't science supposed to be emotion-free? Well, anyone who knows just a little about science sees that emotions are present in science as well. People are fighting for different paradigms, for positions and rank, and all the tricks in the book are used to make a fool out of a competing research program or a competing researcher.

Then comes the point that people like to make their own choices; overconfidence is a human, natural thing. Audiophiles like to tweak and tune. They listen to their systems instead of through their systems. And ASR is not so different, is it? We measure boxes that have an SNR of 130 and 140, but to what end? When does being fixated on specifications become counter-productive? Very few ASR members - if I am not mistaken - have opted for the active, fully integrated DSP based solution; instead, they follow a route that paradoxically resembles the old audiophile path with myriads of boxes, external DACs etc. The robust, intelligent and science-based alternative of a company with decades worth of science-based development of fully integrated products is - unexpectedly - of little interest to the crowd who like to be in the control of all the boxes in a complex audio system. Could the so-called disposition effect explain it all, or is there something else as at play?

One thing I believe provokes some people about Genelec - including science interested people - is that they on the one hand like to read research articles on audio while on the other hand don't want to live by the rules of scientific insight. They don't want to marry, but keep all options open. Reading here and there about science gives you intellectual food for thought, i.e. the possibility to shop around for intellectual ideas, on a purely theoretical level. Intellectual gymnastics has its value, for sure. However, when a science-based company starts to make tangible products and integrated solutions, it cannot play on two horses at the same time; it needs to make priorities, choosing one solution over another. So if you want to keep all the options open, a fully integrated science-based solution is not for you; just in case a new, scientifically based idea is just around the corner. And in the background we have financial interests who give the impression that paradigms happen every two, three or five years. Myopia is certainly a common trait in audio as well.

Genelec is obviously not anything like NIRVANA101. Does Genelec give you the best sound in the universe? Probably not! It's just a readily available choice of the highest quality for people who want a science based audio solution for any need, from a company that over the years demonstrated competence, integrity, honesty and even benevolence; i.e. the ingredients normally mentioned by social scientists when they try and define trust (see opening post of mine for a perspective on these values). And it's a solution for people who want a trusted company to make all the relevant choices for them, from A to Z - as an integrated solution - on the playback side.

That certainly sets them apart in the world of audio. Loved by some. Hated by others.

I think you are sounding a little bit much like a true believing fanboy of Genelec. Also that you are misrepresenting the general level of knowledge of posters here as lower than what it is. Then using that to unfairly denigrate the choices those people are making. Of course you are over-simplifying too, but I won't hold that against you too much. Such is often necessary to make initial progress.

I suppose maybe you need to start a thread on direct sound vs steady state to wrangle that out to your satisfaction.

I would agree Genelec has a more scientific bent and reputation than most companies and seem to follow it more consistently than maybe all others except perhaps Harman. I've not heard recent Genelec speakers. When I've looked at them as a possibility in the past they seemed expensive for the size and bandwidth they would well cover. Not that a million other lesser speakers aren't worse about this. I would like to hear some of their offerings well set up.

Some of your DSP complaints seem to stem from correcting above Schroeder or not. I'm in the camp of full range DSP room correction. Despite theoretical complaints it is a bad idea I've heard it do obvious good. That may be because it is being applied to such non-linear speakers the result does more good than harm. If the speaker is pretty linear to start with, and room correcting DSP is applied above Schroeder frequencies for the room maybe it isn't a good fit.

I know for myself there is no doubt active speakers with line level or (preferably) digital crossovers is the way to go. Due to marketing conditions that isn't available in nearly the variety I think it should be. Home theater is educational in this respect. To me more than stereo even in inexpensive gear 5 or more channels of active speakers and a preamp/processor makes tremendous sense. Yet the market is such that I can buy an eleven channel theater receiver with 11 channels of power amps plus tons of processing for a few hundred dollars. Buying a decent preamp/processor can cost more than double the receiver and passive speakers. And it is only doing line level processing of the same formats. That makes exactly zero sense. But that is the reality of the market. And it seems to be changing not at all while I think there is a slow change toward more active stereo rigs than in the past.

The tech is science, the marketing of product and what is economically feasible is not science. Do you think we could convince 25% of the big rig home music market to refuse to buy anything except Genelec or competent similar competitors in the next 5 years? The limitations to that are not technical.

Cosmik

Major Contributor

Background: https://www.genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Studio monitors/Catalogues/genelec_monitors_in-room_performance.pdf

I was going to raise the issue of ported woofers as a reason why they are far from audio nirvana, but this review says it much better:
Genelec describe the reflex ports as, “designed to minimise noise, compression and distortion”, but of course if the monitors had been designed from the outset as closed boxes, there’d be no port noise, compression and distortion to minimise in the first place...
...So the 8340A and 8350A leave me wondering (once again) why so many monitor manufacturers persevere with reflex-loaded active monitors? ... now, with Class-D amplification making power so much less expensive, and DSP making complex equalisation a breeze, why stick with port tubes and their inherent issues?
...the downside of the extended low-frequency bandwidth reveals itself in the monitor’s time-domain characteristics. Reflex loading generally results not only in increased low-frequency latency (known technically as ‘group delay’) but also in extended low-frequency ‘overhang’ following transients.
...I’m of the opinion that the low-frequency overhang and group delay inherent to reflex loading can be audible and, in a mix context, can add an element of uncertainty to voicing and balancing low-frequency elements (kick drum and bass guitar being the obvious examples). I’m far from alone in my opinion (see ‘Group Delay’ box), and there’s a significant body of opinion with the same mind...

I honestly believe that people make speakers with ports without even thinking about it, never mind using science in the decision.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Siegfried Linkwitz would be my "go to" person for cone-dome dipoles, but he, unfortunately, is seriously ill. I discuss his omnidirectional vs. dipole subjective comparison in Section 7.4.5.

I'm very sorry to hear this. He has been one of the greatest contributors to our hobby, and his website is, if not an indispensable resource, very informative and entertaining. If I had the space and the time, I would have built a pair of LX521s.

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I think you are sounding a little bit much like a true believing fanboy of Genelec. Also that you are misrepresenting the general level of knowledge of posters here as lower than what it is. Then using that to unfairly denigrate the choices those people are making. Of course you are over-simplifying too, but I won't hold that against you too much. Such is often necessary to make initial progress.

I suppose maybe you need to start a thread on direct sound vs steady state to wrangle that out to your satisfaction.

I would agree Genelec has a more scientific bent and reputation than most companies and seem to follow it more consistently than maybe all others except perhaps Harman. I've not heard recent Genelec speakers. When I've looked at them as a possibility in the past they seemed expensive for the size and bandwidth they would well cover. Not that a million other lesser speakers aren't worse about this. I would like to hear some of their offerings well set up.

Some of your DSP complaints seem to stem from correcting above Schroeder or not. I'm in the camp of full range DSP room correction. Despite theoretical complaints it is a bad idea I've heard it do obvious good. That may be because it is being applied to such non-linear speakers the result does more good than harm. If the speaker is pretty linear to start with, and room correcting DSP is applied above Schroeder frequencies for the room maybe it isn't a good fit.

I know for myself there is no doubt active speakers with line level or (preferably) digital crossovers is the way to go. Due to marketing conditions that isn't available in nearly the variety I think it should be. Home theater is educational in this respect. To me more than stereo even in inexpensive gear 5 or more channels of active speakers and a preamp/processor makes tremendous sense. Yet the market is such that I can buy an eleven channel theater receiver with 11 channels of power amps plus tons of processing for a few hundred dollars. Buying a decent preamp/processor can cost more than double the receiver and passive speakers. And it is only doing line level processing of the same formats. That makes exactly zero sense. But that is the reality of the market. And it seems to be changing not at all while I think there is a slow change toward more active stereo rigs than in the past.

The tech is science, the marketing of product and what is economically feasible is not science. Do you think we could convince 25% of the big rig home music market to refuse to buy anything except Genelec or competent similar competitors in the next 5 years? The limitations to that are not technical.

@Blumlein 88 , yes, I am oversimplifying. And I don't wish to denigrate. Teasing is a better term.

In my professional experience I have dealt a lot with trying to cope with the complex. Yet, simple heuristics often outperform the more complicated solution. I recommend Gerd Gigerenzer on the issue of heuristics.

When I discuss heuristics vs the complicated with professional peers (in my field), most - the big majority of professionals - prefer the complicated to the simple. In many cases, I know that heuristics will underperform the complicated; and I could care less. I know that this underperformance will be used as evidence that the complicated is better. And I sleep very well nonetheless. The data from my line of business is very much in support of team-made, thought-through, holistic solutions instead of individual DIY solutions. However, most of the time I know that half of the people with DIY solutions outperform the integrated solution.

A company that bases its integrated solution on thorough science is - to me - a sort of heuristics based solution. As a professional, I would buy this solution instead of making it myself - if the price is not a hurdle. True, the price is often such a hurdle. So every competent persons needs to see if the price eats up too much of the value. Many DIY people have lots of time, so they can outperform a commercially available solution.

You mentioned Harman, of course, as another company following science. What I have yet so see, however, is a company that puts everything into an integrated product like Genelec. With integrated I mean AD-DA, amps, crossovers, DSP including sophisticated room compensation. And with integration I also mean plug and play, ease of use. DD and Kii are almost there; but they have no room interaction analysis and compensation.

When it comes to DSP, I just thought it was a bit forthcoming to be able to say that "a flat curve is correct" as well as "a tilted curve is correct". I like it when both can be correct, depending on the definition. The correctness depends on which sound you focus on; DS or SS? The "tilted curve" has become such a "truth that I wonder if it sometimes is counterproductive. If a user sits in the extreme nearfield with DS exposure, and he applies a tilted curve through DSP software because he read it is the correct curve on the internet, you could have a situation where the "tilted curve absolute truth" makes harm for the DS exposed user.

Regarding the question on big rig people, audiophiles choosing Genelec; I don't think that will happen. The answer is complex, and I touche upon some reasons in my previous comment. And because Genelec makes crystal clear priorities, puts science into practice, I think their solutions will put off lots of science-oriented users as well who are not in agreement on what constitutes "correct science".

Lastly, just a short note on the level of knowledge of some posters. The level of most user on ASR is sky-high. I will never be able to come up to this level even if I spent a lifetime on audio. Sometimes, however, I am a bit surprised when people on the internet, including ASR, claim that size (of speaker) is legacy, old-school and that small modern speakers outperform big ones in bigger rooms. You can do a lot using new technology and materials, but Kii just recently showed us that size matters, after all. This in-room product performance guide from Genelec is still relevant (in general) despite claims of the opposite: https://www.genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Studio monitors/Catalogues/genelec_monitors_in-room_performance.pdf

On the "fanboy" remark: That is a label. Does it smell of "master suppression technique"? It's probably just teasing, right? However, do we need labels or real content? I am more interested in people pointing out what Genelec make wrong in theory and practice, especially if it's backed up with measurements or data. In fact, what I am more interested in here than anything else would be comments that question the Genelec science. That's how I like to work in my profession: If one has some data in conflict with the hypothesis, then come up with that conflicting data. That's how I like to live and learn.

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting points, @svart-hvitt !

However, I will advance a different hypothesis: Could it be that the love/hate relationship some professionals have with Genelec may be due to what dr. Toole wrote about: That their "default" room curve is too bright? That they follow a standard that is incorrect? If that is so, it may be that users who stick with the default calibration indeed find themselves to be ambivalent to the sound. I don't know if this is so or not - but as always, there is more than one way to interpret the same data (in this case the "data" are anecdotal reports on the internet about seemingly strong reactions to oen company).

I also agree with @Blumlein 88 that you give too little credibility to the level or science-orientation in the choices of the members here. The one company which probably have published more peer-reviewed papers on audio than any other is Harman. And you will find quite a lot of speakers from the Harman family here - Revel, JBL and more.

There are also many people here who use studio monitors from other brands. Dynaudio and others.

I also agree with @Cosmik that I don't see all of Genelec's choices as reflecting a kind of supreme rationality or science orientation. You asked for specific instances of what Genelec does which is not best practice. Well, porting speakers is the obvious thing. It may be controversial to say so, as most speakers are ported these days, but the measurements and simulations I've seen are pretty clear-cut. All else being equal, bass reflex is a poorer choice than sealed cabinets, because the transient response by definition suffers. I posted a link to the most recent work on this in another thread, a PhD thesis on sealed and ported studio monitors (which includes lots of measurements and simulations). Porting speakers seems like a legacy choice for Genelec, and it might indeed have made sense when they started out doing active speakers, and amplifier power was short on hand. (EDIT: by "legacy choice" I have in mind a kind of path dependency: when you start out doing speakers a certain way, that's what you'll become good at, so it will make it easy to continue doing it that way).

But today? With all that cheap and efficient class d power, and Genelec's option of creating integrated systems where subwoofers can do the heavy lifting in the deep bass, I can't see any substantial justification for continuing to do it that way, at least not in their top of the line products.

Another issue is the trade-offs they choose. With the 8351, for example, they prioritized coaxial point source dispersion that is even with frequency, in a neat package that nevertheless was a 3-way with deep bass extension. But the price to pay for this seems to be increased power compression and intermodulation distortion in the midrange, which can be seen in measurements in these threads on diyaudio and on Reddit (probably something with the oval woofers and the slots, if the people on Diyaudio and Reddit are to be believed).

Just to be clear: As you know, I can attest personally that 8351s sound good and are most excellent speakers! :) But: They chose a trade-off - and is it "science-based" to prioritize dispersion characteristics over distortion? Perhaps. Or perhaps not. But this is a decision from Genelec, based on what they view as important. I struggle to see why the trade-off they chose is ultimately more rational than other trade-offs (like less point source dispersion, but also less distortion and more dynamics).

When it comes to full range room correction? I haven't seen Genelec publish studies which show that people prefer GLM over non-GLM. The foremost authority on audio science, dr. Toole, disagrees with them on that point, for example. It doesn't necessarily mean that dr. Toole is right and Genelec (and others) are wrong, though. It just means that it's an issue where there are differences of opinion. Personally I can see credible arguments on both "sides" of the debate.

I guess I'm starting to go in circles here. In any case, I do think Genelec has advanced audio in many ways, and that they make excellent speakers. I'm also pretty sure they will advance their speakers even more in the future.

Last edited:
OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I was going to raise the issue of ported woofers as a reason why they are far from audio nirvana, but this review says it much better:

I honestly believe that people make speakers with ports without even thinking about it, never mind using science in the decision.

Your claim that Genelec make reflex ports "without even thinking about it, never mind using science in the decision", is yet another example of jumping to conclusions, making it up as you go. To replace confusion with facts on Genelec's thoughts on design to reproduce lower frequencies:

In 2003, Genelec wrote this article on "An insight into subwoofers": https://www.genelec.com/documents/publications/InsightintoSubwoofers.pdf

Here, they write, for example, the following:

"Comparison of the performance of a closed box and a vented box of the same internal volume will reveal that:

• The efficiency of a closed box is lower than that of a vented box;

• To get same efficiency, the low frequency cut-off of a closed box will be higher;

• The driver displacement capacity must be higher in a closed box;

• Due to the required longer excursion of the driver in a closed box, the distortion is in

practice often higher;

• The impulse response of a closed box is often better than that of a vented box".
They also go through the history of subwoofers. Recommended reading.

In other words, their design choice is obviously an informed one, not an arbitrary one or based on habit, legacy, as you wrote.

The stated delay variation of the above mentioned Genelec speakers has obviously room for improvement. I wonder how this delay variation compares with other speakers. Could it be alleviated by a subwoofer, i.e. where the delay is the highest?

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Interesting points, @svart-hvitt !

However, I will advance a different hypothesis: Could it be that the love/hate relationship some professionals have with Genelec may be due to what dr. Toole wrote about: That their "default" room curve is too bright? That they follow a standard that is incorrect? If that is so, it may be that users who stick with the default calibration indeed find themselves to be ambivalent to the sound. I don't know if this is so or not - but as always, there is more than one way to interpret the same data (in this case the "data" are anecdotal reports on the internet about seemingly strong reactions to oen company).

I also agree with @Blumlein 88 that you give too little credibility to the level or science-orientation in the choices of the members here. The one company which probably have published more peer-reviewed papers on audio than any other is Harman. And you will find quite a lot of speakers from the Harman family here - Revel, JBL and more.

There are also many people here who use studio monitors from other brands. Dynaudio and others.

I also agree with @Cosmik that I don't see all of Genelec's choices as reflecting a kind of supreme rationality or science orientation. You asked for specific instances of what Genelec does which is not best practice. Well, porting speakers is the obvious thing. It may be controversial to say so, as most speakers are ported these days, but the measurements and simulations I've seen are pretty clear-cut. All else being equal, bass reflex is a poorer choice than sealed cabinets, because the transient response by definition suffers. I posted a link to the most recent work on this in another thread, a PhD thesis on sealed and ported studio monitors (which includes lots of measurements and simulations). Porting speakers seems like a legacy choice for Genelec, and it might indeed have made sense when they started out doing active speakers, and amplifier power was short on hand. But today? With all that cheap and efficient class d power, and Genelec's option of creating integrated systems where subwoofers can do the heavy lifting in the deep bass, I can't see any substantial justification for continuing to do it that way, at least not in their top of the line products.

Another issue is the trade-offs they choose. With the 8351, for example, they prioritized coaxial point source dispersion that is even with frequency, in a neat package that nevertheless was a 3-way with deep bass extension. But the price to pay for this seems to be increased power compression and intermodulation distortion in the midrange, which can be seen in measurements in these threads on diyaudio and on Reddit (probably something with the oval woofers and the slots, if the people on Diyaudio and Reddit are to be believed). Just to be clear: As you know, I can attest personally that 8351s sound good and are most excellent speakers! :) But: They chose a trade-off - and is it "science-based" to prioritize dispersion characteristics over distortion? Perhaps. Or perhaps not. But this is a decision from Genelec, based on what they view as important. I struggle to see why the trade-off they chose is ultimately more rational than other trade-offs (like less point source dispersion, but also less distortion and more dynamics).

When it comes to full range room correction? I haven't seen Genelec publish studies which show that people prefer GLM over non-GLM. The foremost authority on audio science, dr. Toole, disagrees with them on that point, for example. It doesn't necessarily mean that dr. Toole is right and Genelec (and others) are wrong, though. It just means that it's an issue where there are differences of opinion. Personally I can see credible arguments on both "sides" of the debate.

I guess I'm starting to go in circles here. In any case, I do think Genelec has advanced audio in many ways, and that they make excellent speakers. I'm also pretty sure they will advance their speakers even more in the future.

@oivavoi , if Toole wrote that their default curve is too bright, I think you must have misunderstood what Toole wrote.

Thomas Lund of Genelec wrote recently:

"Genelec monitors have always been individually tested and adjusted for a flat frequency response in an anechoic room before leaving the factory. When used in the real world, however, room and placement needs to be taken into account. That is why Genelecs for decades have had DIP switches. If you just leave all switches off, the monitor has a flat on-axis frequency response in an anechoic room, or standing free outside; but it most likely won't provide anywhere near a flat response when used in a room or studio".
Source: https://www.genelec.com/blog/frequency-response-and-personal-preference

In other words, there's no such thing as a Genelec "house curve", except an anechoically flat curve.

I couldn't find the measurements you wrote about. Could you post them? Where did the measurements take place? Toole sometimes warns people about measurements that tell you more about the playback venue than the speakers.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
I am very sad about Siegfried’s illness.
He put me on the dipole path with his license
for LX521 (my built- pic). Great man, I wish him health.

I too am saddened to hear about Siegfried's illness. For me he wrote the book on dipole behaviour and generously shared his knowledge. In the LX521 he has designed a very special speaker. I wish him well.

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@oivavoi , if Toole wrote that their default curve is too bright, I think you must have misunderstood what Toole wrote.

Thomas Lund of Genelec wrote recently:

"Genelec monitors have always been individually tested and adjusted for a flat frequency response in an anechoic room before leaving the factory. When used in the real world, however, room and placement needs to be taken into account. That is why Genelecs for decades have had DIP switches. If you just leave all switches off, the monitor has a flat on-axis frequency response in an anechoic room, or standing free outside; but it most likely won't provide anywhere near a flat response when used in a room or studio".
Source: https://www.genelec.com/blog/frequency-response-and-personal-preference

In other words, there's no such thing as a Genelec "house curve", except an anechoically flat curve.

I do think dr. Toole's point stands. Yes, they make their speakers anechoically flat, which is what both Genelec and dr. Toole advocate (which seems very reasonable). The problem - again according to Toole - is that their equalizing software by default makes the speakers flat in-room. This is the stated in the link: "Once GLM has served you a flat in-room frequency response on a silver plate, the result might be brighter than you like". According to dr. Toole, this is mistaken thinking - an anechoically flat speaker will not and should not provide flat in-room response, but rather a sofly tilting frequency response. In the note from Thomas Lund, the preference against the "too bright" flat response is written-off as "preference". But if dr. Toole is right, it might actually be a preference for neutral frequency response from the speaker.

I'm not competent to have a say in this debate. It just seems to me that it is not obvious that Genelec's stated default setting of flat in-room frequency response is the correct scientific goal. There are at least two opinions on the matter.

I couldn't find the measurements you wrote about. Could you post them? Where did the measurements take place? Toole sometimes warns people about measurements that tell you more about the playback venue than the speakers.

Measurements: Sure. Here's a measurement from the German magazine Sound and Recording, linked from the Reddit thread, showing power compression in the midbass/low midrange:

Genelec-8351A-Studiomonitor-Messungen3.jpg

https://www.soundandrecording.de/wp...01/Genelec-8351A-Studiomonitor-Messungen3.jpg

As you can see, SPL capacity is significantly higher from 500 hz and upwards. This is unfortunate, because music has most energy in the region from 100 hz to 400 hz. This means that dynamic peaks - which can reach very high levels on acoustic non-compressed music - will be "skewed": The energy in the upper midrange to treble will be let through, while the very important energy in the lower midrange will be compressed.

Measurements in the same magazine also showed non-trivial intermodulation distortion in the midrange:

Genelec-8351A-Studiomonitor-Messungen7.jpg

https://www.soundandrecording.de/wp...01/Genelec-8351A-Studiomonitor-Messungen7.jpg

I don't know whether or when this will be audible. As said, I thought the 8351 speakers sounded smashing. But there does seem to be a trade-off in speaker design, where one goal - coaxial point source dispersion that is constant with frequency - was prioritized over other goals (homogenous dynamics and low distortion all over the frequency range).

Last edited:
OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I do think dr. Toole's point stands. Yes, they make their speakers anechoically flat, which is what both Genelec and dr. Toole advocate (which seems very reasonable). The problem - again according to Toole - is that their equalizing software by default makes the speakers flat in-room. This is the stated in the link: "Once GLM has served you a flat in-room frequency response on a silver plate, the result might be brighter than you like". According to dr. Toole, this is mistaken thinking - an anechoically flat speaker will not and should not provide flat in-room response, but rather a sofly tilting frequency response. In the note from Thomas Lund, the preference against the "too bright" flat response is written-off as "preference". But if dr. Toole is right, it might actually be a preference for neutral frequency response from the speaker.

I'm not competent to have a say in this debate. It just seems to me that it is not obvious that Genelec's stated goal of flat in-room frequency response is the correct scientific goal. There are at least two opinions on the matter.

Measurements: Sure. Here's a measurement from the German magazine Sound and Recording, linked from the Reddit thread, showing power compression in the midbass/low midrange:

https://www.soundandrecording.de/wp...01/Genelec-8351A-Studiomonitor-Messungen3.jpg

As you can see, SPL capacity is significantly higher from 500 hz and upwards. This is unfortunate, because music has most energy in the region from 100 hz to 400 hz. This means that dynamic peaks - which can reach very high levels on acoustic non-compressed music - will be "skewed": The energy in the upper midrange to treble will be let through, while the very important energy in the lower midrange will be compressed.

Measurements in the same magazine also showed non-trivial intermodulation distortion in the midrange:

https://www.soundandrecording.de/wp...01/Genelec-8351A-Studiomonitor-Messungen7.jpg

I don't know whether or when this will be audible. As said, I thought the 8351 speakers sounded smashing. But there does seem to be a trade-off in speaker design, where one goal - coaxial point source dispersion that is constant with frequency - was prioritized over other goals (homogenous dynamics and low distortion all over the frequency range).

Thank for measurements pics! Not easily found on this handheld device through the links...

I guess Toole was himself victim to «circle of confusion» bacause Genelec use DS - which is supoosed to be flat - and not SS in their room compensation DSP. That’s what happens when you base a comment on general knowledge and not knowledge on a specific matter or product.

Needless to say, I am also a bit confused on Genelec’s DS vs SS. I used to think Genelec’s DSP, GLM, was SS. So it was an eye-opener for me as well, and the DS thing raises another set of questions...for another time...

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank for measurements pics! Not easily found on this handheld device through the links...

I guess Toole was himself victim to «circle of confusion» bacause Genelec use DS - which is supoosed to be flat - and not SS in their room compensation DSP. That’s what happens when you base a comment on general knowledge and not knowledge on a specific matter or product.

Needless to say, I am also a bit confused on Genelec’s DS vs SS. I used to think Genelec’s DSP, GLM, was SS. So it was an eye-opener for me as well, and the DS thing raises another set of questions...for another time...

Sure thing! I'm sitting late at my office and procrastinating over preparations for a meeting tomorrow, so I don't have better things to do than post measurements to ASR!

I need to read more on Genelec's GLM and how they operationalize DS and SS and all that. It's not intuitively clear to me either. But I won't dismiss out of hand that they are on to something :)

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Sure thing! I'm sitting late at my office and procrastinating over preparations for a meeting tomorrow, so I don't have better things to do than post measurements to ASR!

I need to read more on Genelec's GLM and how they operationalize DS and SS and all that. It's not intuitively clear to me either. But I won't dismiss out of hand that they are on to something :)

You won’t find anything in their material on SS vs DS. They just talk about the frequency response, not the measurement method:confused:

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor

I'm not competent to have a say in this debate. It just seems to me that it is not obvious that Genelec's stated default setting of flat in-room frequency response is the correct scientific goal. There are at least two opinions on the matter.

PS: I found the problematic mesasurements on Genelec’s web page as well:

https://www.genelec.com/sites/defau...8351A/genelec_8351_soundandrecording_0415.pdf

So it seems like it’s nothing they try and put under the carpet. It is what it is. As long as the data is of high quality, let the data speak. Never suppress data not supporting your paradigm, theory or hypothesis. That’s not always the case, even in «free» universities.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PS: I found the problematic mesasurements on Genelec’s web page as well:

https://www.genelec.com/sites/default/files/media/Studio monitors/SAM Studio Monitors/8351A/genelec_8351_soundandrecording_0415.pdf

So it seems like it’s nothing they try and put under the carpet. It is what it is. As long as the data is of high quality, let the data speak. Never suppress data not supporting your paradigm, theory or hypothesis. That’s not always the case, even in «free» universities.

Hats off to Genelec for doing that! And the "fazit" in the German review seems to be very positive, in spite of those measurements. I would guess that they could probably improve those two things quite a bit by making the speakers one size larger (and use larger versions of the oval woofers with better power handling and less distortion), and possibly working on the slot design. The Gearslutz user Pentagon (which seems to be very much in the know when it comes to speaker design) gave hints that he thought the 8341 and 8331 were improved designs compared to the 8351 (the 8351 was in some ways a first gen product). Perhaps this is what he had in mind.

Top Bottom