• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec HTS4B Subwoofer Alternatives?

syzygetic

Ok, so I’m looking at a sub for my main system, a trifield of Meridian DSP 5200.2 + SVS Ultra Center speakers in a room about 8m x 7m, with 5m tall ceiling. I found an HTS4B sub from Genelec on sale nearby, manufactured in 2014, and it looks awesome.

So the question: if this sub is $1000, and you want a similarly capable box with XLR and RCA in, and you’re able to provide your own external DSP, what would you buy instead? It seems like a good deal, the SVS stuff at this price doesn’t have the features I want, but I don’t know my subs, so I could be missing something on the market. HTS4B at $1000 or ??

OP
syzygetic

syzygetic

DIY is a cool idea. I know about the Dayton kits. Are there others which are recommended in the sub $1000 range?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DIY is a cool idea. I know about the Dayton kits. Are there others which are recommended in the sub $1000 range?

You mean where a cnc cut flatpack is part of the deal? :) diysoundgroup.com has the same guy who supplies Dayton/Parts Express flatpacks with a few more options. Some other options out there if you can't cut your own. Maybe something from these guys https://shop.gsgad.com/

DIY sections of various fora often have good plans for proven subs, too.

Usually where the cost savings are is by building two subs running off one amp....so a good excuse to do duals!

Top Bottom