• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec HT build

Daaadou

Hello to everyone,

I would like to start a project to enhance the audio in my living room.

I am thinking about setting up a Genelec speakers and subwoofer system, 5.1. Sources are UB9000 (I own loooots of BRs...), a PC (games), a Shield TV Pro (TV :D ), screen is a LG77CX.

I have several question concerning the set up and if anyone could help me, that would be nice.

First of all, I'd like to know how to manage my sources and the Genelec system.
I have seen the sub is centralizing sources and does the dispatch corresponding signals to each speakers. Correct?
The sub looks like it could get a digital in, optical one (on top of the multiple XLRs). This is the option that got me really interested.
I cannot find proper documentation about how this optical input is working.

So my question is :
Would it be possible to feed that optical input directly from the TV? That would be a 5.1 digital signal.
The principle would be very simple then, all HDMI sources are going to the TV and TV outputs to the Genelec sub which does the DA and also the room correction.
There is a video on their website where they do that exactly on a F2 subwoofer. I'd like to use their bigger model with SAM.
I'd like to understand the limit of this set up, will it be complicated to use it with some formats? Like DTS will not passthrough etc.

As you can understand, I'm trying by all means to get rid of the amp section :D
TV, sources and active speakers that could do the DA job.
Would be pretty neat and a great way to save some space in the living room. But I would like to be sure that TV to sub will not be a bad option.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So my question is :
Would it be possible to feed that optical input directly from the TV? That would be a 5.1 digital signal.
Nope, those things don’t do any decoding. You’ll need an AVR for that. The once’s that offer multichannel digital audio output are rare and expensive.

Top Bottom