• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec, how great are they really? The best?

Waxx

Major Contributor
Genelec is in the top tier of the neutral well engineered speakers, but not the only one. Neumann, JBL, Kef, Kii Audio, Revel and a few others play in the same league where differences are more of subjective and practical value, than clear objective differences that matter. There is a lot of (subjective) favorism here for Genelec altough, but that is not important, as they are great speakers show measurements. The styling is also a factor, at least for some (some love it, others hate it).

I prefer Neumann, i like them more for long listening sessions (because Genelec give me ear fatigue). But again, at this quality level, the difference is subjective. If you want Genelec, buy it. You will get very good speakers, and if you're not sensitive to ear fatigue like i am, you won't have the problems with Genelec that i have. Just don't assume that Genelec is the only one, there is more (see above) that is as good objectivly.

MrSoul4470

I have a pair of 8351b’s. They’re pretty good, but not really the holy grail to me. I like my B&W floorstanders a lot more.
I used to have B&W 804S and actually thought they were pretty good until I tried Neumann KH 120. The 1200 Euro Neumanns blew away the 4000 Euro B&Ws in just each and every possible sound discipline. I have Genelec 8331 now. I think I will never be able again to listen to music on totally overpriced so-called HiFi speakers and I feel like a fool when I think about the money I wasted back then.

cata02

The "Direct Sound Dominance" optimum range of listening distances. Is intent to (professional) studio working. Otherwise, with listening distance for example ca. 3 metres, one would have to go for 1237 level or 1234 to ca. 3.8 metres to stay in optimum distance.
In my opinion and experiences, one can safely exceed the optimum distance, without any signicant, if any audio quality loss.

Before buying 8340`s, I was in direct communication with Genelec customer service. My listening distance varies ca. 1.5-3 metres. This wasn`t any problem. Also moneywise, after testing. I decided to go with 7350 sub, listening usually (min-max) 75-90dB measured from spot.

It is also good to notice, that reverberant sound issue, affects all speaker brands. Have been very satisfied with my packet.
Any benefit from choosing 8340 over 8330 if listening to under 95db?

Tangband

Major Contributor
Any benefit from choosing 8340 over 8330 if listening to under 95db?
I have done measurements on both monitors during a weekend and I bought 8340.

The biggest difference is 7 Hz deeper bass in 8340, and ability to play louder. In the midrange and treble they sound the same . The price difference between 8330/8340 seems to reflect the difference in sound, in the bass area. Both are excellent.

Last edited:

cata02

I have done measurements on both monitors during a weekend and I bought 8340.

The biggest difference is 7 Hz deeper bass in 8340, and ability to play louder. In the midrange and treble they sound the same . The price difference between 8330/8340 seems to reflect the difference in sound, in the bass area. Both are excellent.
Makes sense if you don't deploy a sub.

Keep hearing that "bigger living rooms, for for 8340, instead of 8330", but it does not seem to make sense if you do not listen loud (tbh even 95db is pretty loud for home listening) and if u have a sub to cover lows.
Was thinking that there could be nuances of sound reproduction not captured in the measurements.

Newman

Major Contributor

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to have B&W 804S and actually thought they were pretty good until I tried Neumann KH 120. The 1200 Euro Neumanns blew away the 4000 Euro B&Ws in just each and every possible sound discipline. I have Genelec 8331 now. I think I will never be able again to listen to music on totally overpriced so-called HiFi speakers and I feel like a fool when I think about the money I wasted back then.
I had a similar experience. I had the B&W 805D2 bookshelfs, which were decent. I replaced them with the Genelec 8351B, which were somewhat better. But not even the Genelecs + SVS sub could compete with the B&W 802D floorstanders in my living room.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I had a similar experience. I had the B&W 805D2 bookshelfs, which were decent. I replaced them with the Genelec 8351B, which were somewhat better. But not even the Genelecs + SVS sub could compete with the B&W 802D floorstanders in my living room.
I know a few (mostly classical music lovers) who replaced their 800D and other models of that line with Neumann KH420's, sometimes with the KH870 sub. And they are absolute thrilled. The one set i installed included a MiniDSP Flex with DIRAC, and most also went that way. But there are a few options.

Genelec should be similar quality (altough i also don't like them as hifi), B&W is not that good anymore actually but the original D series was still great. What are you missing in the Genelecs that you hear in the 802D?

MrSoul4470

I think it really depends on what you expect and prefer. B&Ws are good if you want the illusion of a band playing in front of you in your room. Get studio monitors if you want to hear what's in the recording, no matter if that is lovely or ugly. I prefer the latter now. I've had the former for too long and it bores me to death.

HairyEars

I know a few (mostly classical music lovers) who replaced their 800D and other models of that line with Neumann KH420's, sometimes with the KH870 sub. And they are absolute thrilled. The one set i installed included a MiniDSP Flex with DIRAC, and most also went that way. But there are a few options.

Genelec should be similar quality (altough i also don't like them as hifi), B&W is not that good anymore actually but the original D series was still great. What are you missing in the Genelecs that you hear in the 802D?
If you want to get from Genelec the sort of sound you get from the KH420, you need to go with the MDF boxes. 1237A, 1238A, or 1238DF would fit the bill.

carlosatl

How is the 8331 compared to Neumann?? I also have the 8331 :) not sure if I overpaid or not? They are not cheap.

Top Bottom