• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec, how great are they really? The best?

Asmodeus2112

For pauper penny pinchers like me looking at used examples, what about the earlier box shaped Genelec models (that Behringer ripped off not too badly wither)? I know they may not be as advanced technically as the current curvy models, but how might they compare with the sub $/£1,000 active 'wonder boxes' that Amir and Erin have reviewed and tested? Sorry if this question has already been answered before.
I have some 2029BR's that I love. I can't compare to the current generation, sorry. I mainly listen near field but have used them from about 10 feet away in a medium sized room, they sounded great. Only complaint is the slight hiss that is noticeable in near field when nothing is playing, but not noticeable anytime else.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I have some 2029BR's that I love. I can't compare to the current generation, sorry. I mainly listen near field but have used them from about 10 feet away in a medium sized room, they sounded great. Only complaint is the slight hiss that is noticeable in near field when nothing is playing, but not noticeable anytime else.
Hiss from more than very close up no longer an issue for me :D

Digby

Major Contributor
I guess that you recommend all Kef ls50 Meta owners the same advice, to buy a floorstander instead ?
Yes, they should buy the floorstanding version.

I think it's should be better to have a big room and a small listening triangle to maximize the ratio of direct sound vs reflective sound.
Unlikely though, would probably look a bit odd too?

Has anyone pulled out the amp/dsp section and measured the raw performance of the design ?

I'm not sure I fully understand this, but it seems like people can achieve similarly flat response using eq on other speakers. If Genelac purports to be better, how much of that is the raw mechanical, and how much of that is signal processing ?

goat76

Major Contributor
Yes, they should buy the floorstanding version.

Unlikely though, would probably look a bit odd too?

No, it doesn't look odd to me. I think it looks much better with the sofa closer to the middle of the room, instead of having it close to the wall.

I have my listening position about 1/3 into the room from the back wall, and the speakers 1 meter from the front wall with a 2,1m equilateral listening triangle. With that relatively short distance to the speakers, the ratio of the direct sound is high vs the reflective sounds.

And like you, I also prefer floorstanding speakers. The tighter listening triangle works with that type of speaker too. :)

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm not sure I fully understand this, but it seems like people can achieve similarly flat response using eq on other speakers. If Genelac purports to be better, how much of that is the raw mechanical, and how much of that is signal processing ?
Yes of course.. assuming you already have low distortion drivers, suppressed port resonances, inert cabinet, optimized crossover, minimized diffraction and near-perfect waveguide :)

Yes of course.. assuming you already have low distortion drivers, suppressed port resonances, inert cabinet, optimized crossover, minimized diffraction and near-perfect waveguide :)
sure, but we'd like to see it put to the test no ? :D

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I think you would feel they're great when you hear them
To me their great Becaue of their tonality and transparency above everything else.
Everything just sounds *right * and uncloured and like in real life.
I don't care about measurements (sorry ASR) if I don't like the sound they don't mean much to me

HairyEars

I've got a pair of 8341 and 8331. Tried to like them for about 2 years. Real hard. But they never gave me the joy of my old 1030A.
The slit design doesn't work for me, and the aluminum encasing imparts a certain tint that isn't to my liking.

Next, I got the 1032C and have became addicted to the sound.
Naturally, that classic-Genelec pleasure has merely whetted my appetite. An order for 3-way main monitors is on the horizon...Love those MDF boxes.

mmi

And again with 1-2 subs and crossover 80Hz, it should alleviate the issue... :rolleyes: In like in a 9x18 room (on stands, 1-2 feet near rear wall, maybe ~6 feet apart, listening position 5-6 feet away, bit of room treatment), which would be maybe small/medium, with 2 subs, let's say in a condo environment where you wouldn't want to blast the speakers/subs anyhow... I have trouble doubting that it wouldn't be a killer setup... I mean, it's kinda scary looking at the distortion graphs, but they don't seem to correlate to Armin's listening impressions.

But the question is again; for the price, could you do better? For that high end sound.
I have 8010s. They are designed for nearfield which is how I run them mostly, but I have used them with a tv in a 4x4m room from about 3m and they were deep and loud enough for me, no need for a sub (I have neighbours and like open windows). In nearfield < 1m 86db constant is very very loud.

For their tiny size I doubt there are many better speakers out there, I tried PSB Alpha P3s as desktop speakers before they were measured here and the 8010s wipe the floor with them.

eric tee

Genelec make a wide range of pro-quality monitor products with good to great dispersion and level handling for near- to midfield applications. Doesn't mean they're perfect, of course - the very smallest ones in particular are too hissy and sensitive (you also can't take the bass on the 8010 seriously), and their limiters tend to be on the conservative side (Neumann usually wins the output level comparison). They also tend to have dispersion on the wider side, which is good for nearfield use in a well-treated studio environment and keeps things tonally well-behaved even in less ideal rooms, but you may not like the amount of room reverb at larger distances in living quarters.

Note how even in relatively well-treated rooms, they recommend breaking out the big guns past 3 m / 10' for diffuse sound to remain under control. (Home listeners may have more lenient standards than this, of course.) And those still cost a pretty penny, even if still not "high-end" fantasyland prices.
correct-monitors-direct sound dominance-chart

If you consult the SPL chart, you'll also find that the very smallest models are limited by peak output level more than diffuse sound (assuming that we want about 102 dB SPL peak), which reverses around the 5" class.
correct-monitors-spl-chart

Yes, a pair of 8020s with a matching sub or two (of the studio variety with balanced I/O and a integrated crossover) would make quite a racket for sure, but is this really the right thing for hi-fi listening distances (2.5-3 or even 4 m more often than not)? Probably not entirely - you'd rather want 8351s or 8361s for that. 8331s with sub(s) should make for one hell of a "cost no object" desktop setup though!
The "Direct Sound Dominance" optimum range of listening distances. Is intent to (professional) studio working. Otherwise, with listening distance for example ca. 3 metres, one would have to go for 1237 level or 1234 to ca. 3.8 metres to stay in optimum distance.
In my opinion and experiences, one can safely exceed the optimum distance, without any signicant, if any audio quality loss.

Before buying 8340`s, I was in direct communication with Genelec customer service. My listening distance varies ca. 1.5-3 metres. This wasn`t any problem. Also moneywise, after testing. I decided to go with 7350 sub, listening usually (min-max) 75-90dB measured from spot.

It is also good to notice, that reverberant sound issue, affects all speaker brands. Have been very satisfied with my packet.

eric tee

You are forgetting the second hand market , - how much money do you loose if you buy and own a pair of 8030c and then sell them after three years ?

If you DIY-build some loudspeakers and sell those after three years - how much do you loose in money ?

How much does a 8351 loose in value after three years of use , if you compare those with the latest Magnepans or Kef:s ?

After those questions, its clear that the selling price of a speaker only tells you a bit of the real cost for the owner, a lot like owning different cars . :)
Bought my first "real" audio gear in 80`s. Have some experience how the value drops, right after you carry out new stuff from store. This is, no doubt very good point when considering options. Of course depending, how "end game" gear you are buying. At least here in Finland, value drop in Genelec is not that deep. Just sold my old M030`s. Loss from the price I paid, was about 30%.

eric tee

And for the OP`s question; The best? I doubt there is such brand. Individual preferences make sure, that there are plenty of options to choose from.

And, from practical aspect... Deciding would require real world experience. In Your own listening enviroment, I believe. Hard task to do, if even possible for most of us. This is one of the reasons, I value this site pretty high. It gives me opportunity to narrow the options. Reliable and repeatable manner. By measurements.

Jimk

I just built a home theater with Genelec 8350s and 7380 subs. I have years of experience with Genelecs in a studio environment but was not prepared for the rich, deep, spacious soundfield I experienced when I got everything set up and rang out the room. I am getting used to it now, but am still a little bit blown away when I play back certain movie and audio material.

Another thing to consider is support. i worked with a Genelec engineer who took a serious look at my room, requirements, etc and recommended several hardware combinations while giving me the pros and cons of each. They also arranged a demo of various combinations for me. When I ran the GLM calibration, they stayed with me on the phone for an hour and had me tweak some non-standard things I wouldn't have done myself based on my feedback, and it made a nice difference in the final soundfield. When I have a question they always provide me an infinitely-detailed response. I also know from experience that Genelec USA will provide world-class support after the sale. The "best" is subjective but that is my experience so far in a home theater application.

The downside of course with studio monitors is that not everything sounds good. Poor source material will be presented with brutal accuracy, which is what studio monitors are all about to begin with.

Good luck with your search!

Best Regards,
JimK

Tangband

Major Contributor
And for the OP`s question; The best? I doubt there is such brand. Individual preferences make sure, that there are plenty of options to choose from.

And, from practical aspect... Deciding would require real world experience. In Your own listening enviroment, I believe. Hard task to do, if even possible for most of us. This is one of the reasons, I value this site pretty high. It gives me opportunity to narrow the options. Reliable and repeatable manner. By measurements.
The higher one go in pricerange, there are more speakers that sounds really good. So one must first decide how much money to spend on the speakers. With Genelec, you dont need any amplifiers.

I would say the 8030c or G3 are very good value from Genelec, simply because its very hard to find something better for the same money, size and price.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I would say one of the best
It's really hard to say THE BEST
But close to that if you like flat, neutral analytical sound

Sophoheilip

Forum Donor
Room treatment and DSP aside, I second the Kali LP6v2. I have a pair of 8341, while my girlfriend bought the Kali. Her given budget 400€: JBL 7" Monitors and Kali where left (of all tested at the time). These are stunning monitors, even at >2m listening distance!
A bit of dip switches against room modes, and done!
Though I love my Genelec, the Kali are only at 1/10 of the price. I don't know, if I would go that expensive route again with the experience gained.

Mal

It's always that last 1-5% (diminishing returns) which ruins everything; sure instead of getting these $2000 speakers you could get these $1000 speakers which sound 95% just as good, it's just that you do really want that last 5% the $2000 speaker offers..... Hifi is pain.
If "hedonic treadmill" theory is correct then you'll soon be looking for more listening pleasure, and think of buying those $10 000 speakers that are 5% better than $2000 speakers... and so on... until you swap your house for a pair of speakers... (oh well, at least that will get rid of room reflection...)

Top Bottom