• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec Home Series (G speakers and F subwoofers)

Vindermere

Hi,

I was considering the G4 vs 8340 and finally brought 8340. Reason, the amp is 150w in 8340 compared to 90w. Plus the great GLM kit in 8340. I have listened to many hifi gears in expos. I am absolutely happy with how 8340 sound in my living room which is not treated. search for my recent forum post with "Genelec 8340". compared to my floor standers from Yamaha, the 8340 are very balanced, detailed and its fun how natural the instruments sound.
I don't understand why genelec use smaller tweeter in 8330 or 8340 (19 mm versus 25 mm)

kasraakbari

Just out of curiosity I Googled the G series. They are nearly impossible to find in the UK - only one retailer sells them here. So at least from an UK availability POV it's not really an option, especially when the pro models are plentiful here.

Anyone know if they are widely available in other countries?

I have some quantities in Dubai ...if you are interested.

EAXAE

Interesting fact: G4 and 8040, G5 and 8050 have a significant weight difference — studio speakers are about 1 kg heavier, yet G3 and 8030 weight the same.

I went on G Two as an entry point into the Genelec world, mainly because of the RCA connectors and the possible more home user friendly usage. I was kinda conservative considering my lack of experience at this level. It took 2 months to get them delivered on white color. I suppose there is little demand on the home series. Or on the white color?
My next setup might be based on the 8xxx family, depending on the specific requirements at that moments though. QC plays no role in the decision, I'm pretty sure Genelec follows the same procedures on both pro and home lines.
Hi, Did you get your G Twos installed? How are they working out for you? I am thinking about using a pair for my rear surrounds and 4 for my Atmos speaker. Your feedback is appreciated.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The G series has 0 advantages over the 8000 series, so what's the point?

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
The G series has 0 advantages over the 8000 series, so what's the point?
4000_Series_Colors.jpg

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Personally I really like the RAW look :cool:

They might also look good with a vinyl wrapping (The 'GENELEC' logo at the bottom could be a problem, though).

theshade

I am confused about the connections.

For the G series, if I connect it to an avr with preouts, I need rca connections? If I connect it to an audio interface( i have the audient evo 4), I need rca to trs?

For the 8000 series, if I connect it to an avr with preouts, I need xlr male to rca? If I connect it to an audio interface( i have the audient evo 4), I need xlr male to trs?

Are there disadvantages going from different connection types? eg. xlr to rca or xlr to trs?

Thanks

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I am confused about the connections.

For the G series, if I connect it to an avr with preouts, I need rca connections? If I connect it to an audio interface( i have the audient evo 4), I need rca to trs?

For the 8000 series, if I connect it to an avr with preouts, I need xlr male to rca? If I connect it to an audio interface( i have the audient evo 4), I need xlr male to trs?

Are there disadvantages going from different connection types? eg. xlr to rca or xlr to trs?

Thanks
Yes, there are advantages and disadvantages. Balanced connections reject noise as part of their 2-conductor design. XLR can be balanced if the gear in the signal path supports balanced connections. RCA is always unbalanced. If you go from a piece of balanced gear to a piece of unbalanced gear or vice-versa, the signal becomes unbalanced from that point on.

If you use your Audient EVO 4 with a balanced active speaker like any of the Genelecs you mentioned, you should use balanced cables and connections. In your case you would use 1/4" TRS (Audient outputs) to XLR cables (Genelec inputs).

If outputting from an unbalanced preamp, you will need to use RCA-RCA (G series) or RCA-XLR (8000 series and most active monitors).

Sam Ash

It would be nice to hear from users of the G Three, Four, Five with an F Two sub in a 2.1 configuration. Has anyone had the privilege to compare the G series in terms of fidelity and levels?

I presume any of the above would better than a pair of Sonos One's with a Sonos Sub or a pair of Sonos Five and a Sonos Sub?

Is the 6040R superior to any of the G series speakers? - I guess these could be used with an F Two.

I am wondering how a pair of 8341A's coupled with a 7350A sub would perform in a 2.1 configuration? - Anyone with any experience with such a configuration?

The 8361 seems very nice based upon Amir's review but the price on those units make them challenging to own.

Sprint

Forum Donor
It would be nice to hear from users of the G Three, Four, Five with an F Two sub in a 2.1 configuration. Has anyone had the privilege to compare the G series in terms of fidelity and levels?

I presume any of the above would better than a pair of Sonos One's with a Sonos Sub or a pair of Sonos Five and a Sonos Sub?

Is the 6040R superior to any of the G series speakers? - I guess these could be used with an F Two.

I am wondering how a pair of 8341A's coupled with a 7350A sub would perform in a 2.1 configuration? - Anyone with any experience with such a configuration?

The 8361 seems very nice based upon Amir's review but the price on those units make them challenging to own.

I had listened to Sonos 1 in my living room where I currently have my Genelec 8340 as LCR and 2 8330 as surround. Genelecs will anyday win over Sonos be it 8040 or G4 or 8340 or 6040R paired with subs. Genelecs have bigger drivers and will sound detailed across the entire frequency.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm thinking of taking the plunge into the G Five. Maybe a dumb question. Do these come with the iso-pads?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Attachments

• 055EE5EA-E5D1-4CDC-A747-E02C0BDC5A95.png
    055EE5EA-E5D1-4CDC-A747-E02C0BDC5A95.png
    415.5 KB · Views: 69
Top Bottom